Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Always just used a soldering iron for mine.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I picked up a 25W hot knife with an Xacto blade tip at a hobby shop the other day. Doesn't work at all for sealing the edges as you cut. The razor edge cut the material but it never got hot enough to melt the nylon. Broke out my 45W soldering iron with reasonably pointy tip and it worked great. What gmcttr suggested would probably be even better.
    With the Xacto blade models, I have found that snapping off the top half of the blade with a pair of pliers helps to keep the blade up to temperature.

Having said this, I demoted mine to hole burning duties and just cut my stuff with scissors now because it's faster for me.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5oz 2 Layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY IX 2 Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the great responses. It's good to know that this "frayed" edge is actually normal. I figure Knotty's 2in folds will hide it well and keep it from gathering dirt/leaves. I really appreciate knowing that the blade is not the way to go. Trying to find one with a sharp blade was driving me nuts!

@ PapaSmurf, is cutting the ripstop vs the new material (crinkle something) very different?

I also know how expensive a really good knife is, that 30ish priced gun seems to be the best bang with the added soldering benefits. I'll look around craigslist until this weekend when I actually have time to go shopping.

-Born_Old

Hammock
    DIY 1.5oz 2 Layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY IX 2 Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I got an old Weller 100/140W soldering kit off od craigslist for 12.00. Cost 6.00 when originally bought and has some very old instructions, but works. Thinking this will work just fine for what I need, plus it can solder too.

Peace
    -Born_Old

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Born_Old View Post
    @ PapaSmurf, is cutting the ripstop vs the new material (crinkle something) very different?
    I have found that when hot cutting material containing nylon (ripstop, tulle, etc), that it seems to melt nicely and fuse together. This can be a big advantage when you are cutting 2 layers that will be stitched together because you can cut both layers at once and temporarily fuse them together. This makes that first row of stitches easier because they stay lined up better. Remember to stack your 2 layers the correct way (outside to outside or inside to inside).

Polyester (including Poly Crinkle Taffeta and many noseeum nettings) melt at a higher temperture and don't stick together quite as readily unless you go very, very slow.

That's been my experience, but you may find that it acts differently with your particular heat source.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12