Hammock
    DIY table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    My wife and daughter (both ground-dwellers) and I will be going out this weekend. I work late Friday, so we'll probably head out Saturday and stay until Sunday morning. We were thinking about going to Lake Maria but because we decided so late it looks like all the sites are reserved. If there is a group getting together we are up to going elsewhere. I'm pretty much a noobey to this hammocking thing, and would absolutely love to discuss/compare gear, etc.

Fronkey, I'ma actually planning on making your bugnet tonight/tomorrow. I already completed my 'winter tarp' per Scott's instructions and am trying to get an under quilt put together.

Anyway, anyone else up for a hang?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I wouldn't mind bringing my 4yr old out for an overnight tomorrow (Saturday night) if it was on the east side (like Afton)
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Well, I just got off work and have to gear myself up for packing and then leaving tomorrow AM. I'll post tomorrow by 11am if we are going to go or not. If we go, it will be Afton. What are the chances they have a non-reserveable site available tomorrow?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am going to the SHT for some hiking with the wolf. But, have a blast out there.

I am betting that they will have some free sites. Grab site 6 if you can, it's a good one.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I just called and they still have sites available. I'm leaving my house soon and don't live too far. Not sure when you're planning on leaving but I could always swing by and reserve a site. We likely won't be out there until later this afternoon/evening as we have some things to do.

Hammock
    DIY table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    We're heading to Afton! I'll watch out for hangers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    We just reserved site 3 and you are welcome to hang there with us if you want. We won't be there until later tonight

Hammock
    DIY table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Afton trip f/u

Brief f/u on our trip to Afton. The rain paid us a visit in the evening and a little bit in the early am, but we were prepared so it wasn't a big deal. I got to use my DIY winter tarp for the first time and it worked like an absolute beauty. We used it to fashion a 'porch' for our tent and a cover for my hammock as well. It was great.

I'm ashamed to say that half way through the night I 'went to ground' as I've never actually spent a full night in my hammock, and doing it in a mummy sleeping bag was just too uncomfortable for me. I couldn't tell where I was in the hammock (if that makes sense) and almost fell out a few times. Now I'm thinking about making an under-quilt and top quilt to make the experience better for me. I guess I'm wondering if the hammock is not for me, but I really want to give it a full try before abandoning the hammock because hammock camping is so appealing to me. I've taken plenty of long afternoon naps in the hammock in this warm weather and have always been comfy, so I think my problem was really just the mummy bag. Do you guys have any tips for me?

See pics! My wife says this looks like a mug shot of me - sorry!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Feebus; 08-28-2012 at 22:19.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Feebus View Post
    Brief f/u on our trip to Afton. The rain paid us a visit in the evening and a little bit in the early am, but we were prepared so it wasn't a big deal. I got to use my DIY winter tarp for the first time and it worked like an absolute beauty. We used it to fashion a 'porch' for our tent and a cover for my hammock as well. It was great.

I'm ashamed to say that half way through the night I 'went to ground' as I've never actually spent a full night in my hammock, and doing it in a mummy sleeping bag was just too uncomfortable for me. I couldn't tell where I was in the hammock (if that makes sense) and almost fell out a few times. Now I'm thinking about making an under-quilt and top quilt to make the experience better for me. I guess I'm wondering if the hammock is not for me, but I really want to give it a full try before abandoning the hammock because hammock camping is so appealing to me. I've taken plenty of long afternoon naps in the hammock in this warm weather and have always been comfy, so I think my problem was really just the mummy bag. Do you guys have any tips for me?

See pics! My wife says this looks like a mug shot of me - sorry!

Know what you mean by not knowing where you were in the hammock. I hung for the first time last week and overall it was a good experience. Even with a top quilt I found the foot box very confining and remember waking up with my feet hanging over the edge of the hammock. It was a mild night temp wise and I pulled my feet out of the footbox and was a bit more comfortable and seemed like I could get a better lay. I did wake up in a bit of discomfort with the middle portion of my back bugging me a spell. I think that was more from sleeping in one position and the fact that in a bed I'm all over the place position wise.

For me being a bit of a bigger guy a bigger hammock is in my future. Being able to go from my back to a side lay might do the trick for me. Pluss I'm sure I have lots to learn about tweaking my suspension and so forth. I plan on giving myself every chance I can to be comfrotable in a hammock. For me hammocking has to work because sleeping on the ground isnt a option for me anymore.

Good luck...
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678