Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    Working on my own
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps

Hammock Quilt Questions!

Heya Fellas!
    First off I'm new here but not new to hammock camping. The only problem is I've never been able to bring myself to buy a underquilt or topquilt. I've decided recently to make a set! I've done my absolute best to research these questions, but I've been left empty handed. So I've decided to join and ask like minded people!
    My first question is how do you tell how much insulation you'll need for a specific temperature? I've seen the equation, "100-(thicknessX40)= low temp" but that can't be accurate for every type of insulation. I have planned to use Primaloft Sport.4oz because of the cost and it's said to be very compressible which is a necessity.
    My next question skips to sewing the quilts. Are "baffles" necessary? I'm sure they keep the insulation from clumping up. Are there any other benefits to them? Do you lose insulation when the insulation is compressed where it's sewn?
    Last Question; What type of ripstop nylon should I use? Waterproof is a necessity as well as how compressible it is. I've seen ripstop that is incredibly expensive and some that doesn't break the bank. I'm assuming it doesn't need to be super high quality because it's not going to be going through loads of wear-and-tear, but I've said that before about gear and ruined it in every way besides ketchup stains.
    Any answers would be appreciated and I thank you all in advance!

Zach

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    Working on my own
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Bump.
    Seriously Any Help

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    You might want to go with Climashield as your first project. PL requires quilting and is heavier than CS and slightly less warm. 5 oz CS is good to about 40. Add a layer and you can go colder. Do not get anything waterproof for your shell or else you will have condensation build up. Plain 1.1 ripstop works fine for synthetic. Most of the stuf you buy will have a decent DWR on it. You won't need baffles unless you are using down.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    If you're in Michigan, I'd not recommend a synthetic quilt (which will surprise some folks), unless cost is a primary consideration and you don't contemplate going below 30 degrees.

These will help:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Calculations

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nt-Spreadsheet

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heycorb View Post
    You might want to go with Climashield as your first project. PL requires quilting and is heavier than CS and slightly less warm. 5 oz CS is good to about 40. Add a layer and you can go colder. Do not get anything waterproof for your shell or else you will have condensation build up. Plain 1.1 ripstop works fine for synthetic. Most of the stuf you buy will have a decent DWR on it. You won't need baffles unless you are using down.
    Plain 1.1 is a bad idea for an outer shell. You're looking for a breathable water resistant fabric. Pure finish 1.1 ripstop will not stop wind of any velocity from sucking the warmth right out of your quilt (ask me how I know).

My personal preference is for 1.55 Epsilon, which is breatheable, water resistant, wind resitant, and abrasion resitant. It can be gotten for a relatively low price from RR Trading Post on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTICAM-EPS...item4ae35a2834

Dutch has some good fabrics for both inner and outer shells as well:

http://dutchwaregear.com/diy-stuff/

My personal preference for an inner shell is 1.1 nylon from DIY gear supply.

http://diygearsupply.com/product-cat...hable-fabrics/

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    Certainly depends on where you live, but the ripstop I've used has a DWR and is wind resistant enough. The CS does a good job blocking wind too. You could get heavier fabrics but I gathered cost was an issue. Abrasion resistance is low on my priorities for a TQ.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heycorb View Post
    Certainly depends on where you live, but the ripstop I've used has a DWR and is wind resistant enough. The CS does a good job blocking wind too. You could get heavier fabrics but I gathered cost was an issue. Abrasion resistance is low on my priorities for a TQ.
    OK, we have a disagreement with terminology, then. IMO "plain 1.1" doesn't have a DWR coating. DWR will work as long as its breatheable as well.

EDIT TO ADD: I just realized that there is no 1.1 DWR (that I'm aware of). Most DWR ripstop is 1.9, and its essentially 1.1 with an added .8 oz/yd for the DWR coating.

Agreed on the TQ, but IMO abrasion resistance is critical in UQ's, especially if you're going to do any dispersed on trail camping in areas with any appreciable amount of underbrush.

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    All of the 1.1 sold at RBTR has a DWR. I just made a quilt for my daughter with the uncalandered 1.1 and it sheds enough water to hold up well against condensation.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I sit corrected.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    So the baffles keep the down from shifting in the quilt. If you go w Climashield, you won't have to use baffles, as it's basically a big sheet of insulation and won't shift.

As far as fabric, you only have to worry meticulously if you are using down (as you will need downproof fabric) or if you are camping in incredibly cold temps and begin to really worry about the perfect fabric for the best breathable insulation w minimal heat loss, etc... Generally overkill imo.

Calendared fabrics are (somewhat) less breathable and more wind resistant but they are the ones that will be downproof.

Also, when it comes to price:
    Climashield will cost something like $30-$45 bucks to do a quilt?

If you don't mind Down that isn't the coated water-resistant kind (so don't get your quilt wet) you can get 32oz of 750-fill for something like $62. Plenty for your underquilt AND topquilt.
    But then you need to sew baffles and have downproof fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast