Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Pushing the Cuben Envelope - valve needed

I made a Ziploc Cuben drybag. Several projects are coming together, and this relates to all of them. I wanted a small dry-bag to use in my MollyMac Front Pack, but I wanted something different from a roll-top closure, so I cut the top off a ZipLoc freezer bag and fastened CT.6K.08 to it to form the bag.
    The first test was the overnight book test (inflate, seal, put a book on top and leave overnight). It failed; the air escaped by morning.

The second test was the immersion in the sink test (like checking for punctures with a bicycle tire; look for the bubbles to locate the leak). Leak located at the most likely spot - where the Ziploc portion was joined to the cuben at the top corners. I reinforced the weak spots (both corners) with DIY cuben tape. For the initial construction and the repairs the bonding method was 3M Adhesive Transfer Tape 9460 with Primer 94.

Repeated immersion test; no bubbles. Now repeating the overnight book test. See attached photos.

In addition to the wish for a small dry bag with a ziploc closure I also wanted to start work on making air-proof Cuben containers for insulated hammocks and down air mattresses. I'm not sure if a ziploc closure system is tough enough to withstand the pressure on an air mattress. Does anyone know a source for a small one-way valve that I can incorporate? I'm willing to do surgery on water wings if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I wanted a small dry-bag to use in my MollyMac Front Pack, but I wanted something different from a roll-top closure, so I cut the top off a ZipLoc freezer bag and fastened CT.6K.08 to it to form the bag.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a source for one-way valves, but it's ideas like the above that really make me smile when I see your posts. Thank you, and keep on keeping on.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I stole one from a foil coffee bag once. They're usually under the labels so mine was a little sticky. It did hold up for about 2 years, but I just put it on a Ziploc bag that I reinforced a little bit. With cube in the mix I would probably use something more reliable like a dry suit vent.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    Check out the large Zip Lock bags for sporting equip etc for the closure area. Pretty tough and quite large
    Alan

Hammock
    Speer DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Hey WV - anything here of interest: http://www.mcmaster.com/#one-way-flow-valves/=gj9nig
    - Norm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Not an answer to your post, but a question: Why did you make a cuben ziplock bag, when the ziplock bag would have served the purpose- watertight? Just for durability? Or to test your skills?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Might check over on BackpackingLight forums. Some were experimenting with heat seal material to make air mattresses. They were using valves from kites or balloon sites if memory serves (which it often doesn't)
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Certainly not heavy duty, but I once had a project with a need for one-way valves and I ordered these. Kind of like what a swimming pool air mattress uses.

If you're talking about those big double seal jobs they use for inflatable beds, you can often find those in outdoor shops. Heck, I think I even saw one at a Walmart/Kmart/some kind of 'mart'. A quick google search should find a plethora of those.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    Not an answer to your post, but a question: Why did you make a cuben ziplock bag, when the ziplock bag would have served the purpose- watertight? Just for durability? Or to test your skills?
    Excellent question! You're absolutely right. The small dry bag project is just an excuse to learn about possible valve and closure solutions when using cuben as an airtight material for insulated hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks to all! A host of good suggestions in no time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast