wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    Okay, so I recently rec'vd my Skeeter beeter Pro and my funky forest tarp as a father's day gift from the in-laws. Really happy with it, but I was curious as to what the benefit of the diamond shaped tarp is as opposed to a square tarp. I can potentially see that coverage to weight you are getting more for less, but at the same time it leaves your ends pretty open to heavy rains, etc. Do majority prefer the diamond shape or do you switch to square shaped?? I guess this could also bring up the benefit to cat cut tarps as well?? just looking for suggestions and advice, as I may decide to make a second tarp to try out. Thanks!
    cool your in-laws must really love youneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Okay, so I recently rec'vd my Skeeter beeter Pro and my funky forest tarp as a father's day gift from the in-laws.
    Wait, I missed/glanced over that part about the in-laws buying you your setup. Your in-laws buy you Father's day gifts? Man, did I marry into the wrong family! I don't usually get gifts even from my wife!

My in-laws are great--this was my first father's day, and to celebrate they bought me something I really wanted to try. As far as my tarp, I have the Funky Forest Tarp by the Travel Hammock company. It is a good diamond shaped tarp but I was hoping to be able to rotate it for heavier rains to create a squared set up so I could batten down the hatches so to speak. I live in central Ohio and it can rain quite heavily so I was hoping for better coverage. I do like the tarp but have yet to try it out in rainy weather. So we'll just have to see as time goes by. Worse comes to worse I'll just sew myself some different shaped tarps to find out what I like best. The diamond is easy to set up, which is a plus!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One thing you could try would to modify the forest tarp by adding grosgrain tie loops where you want them. By adding loops to hang rectangularly you will lose ridgeline length. I don't know if that is a problem or not, not knowing the sizes involved. Around these forums modifications to commercial equipment is almost required. Or at least never frowned on.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Okay, so I recently rec'vd my Skeeter beeter Pro and my funky forest tarp as a father's day gift from the in-laws. Really happy with it, but I was curious as to what the benefit of the diamond shaped tarp is as opposed to a square tarp. I can potentially see that coverage to weight you are getting more for less, but at the same time it leaves your ends pretty open to heavy rains, etc. Do majority prefer the diamond shape or do you switch to square shaped?? I guess this could also bring up the benefit to cat cut tarps as well?? just looking for suggestions and advice, as I may decide to make a second tarp to try out. Thanks!
    1.diamond tarps give more end to end coverage with less wieght and bulk
    9x9 tarp 13 ft ride line.jrb tarp 7.2 x 7.2 has a 10 ft ridge line.bottom line is you get more end to end coverage with a much smaller tarp by hanging it
    diagnalneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    1.diamond tarps give more end to end coverage with less wieght and bulk
    9x9 tarp 13 ft ride line.jrb tarp 7.2 x 7.2 has a 10 ft ridge line.bottom line is you get more end to end coverage with a much smaller tarp by hanging it
    diagnalneo
    Neo and all,

When I got my stock claytor tarp with the JH, I thought no way would I stay dry. It just did not seem adequate. I have been through some downpours with wind and have stayed snug as a bug in a rug. The diagonal does work, tarp tensioners help, and getting the hammock up underneath close to the tarp without touching really makes a difference. That is my newbie experience. I may consider a DIY rectangular for winter, but I am happy with my stock Claytor for now.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    My in-laws are great--this was my first father's day, and to celebrate they bought me something I really wanted to try. As far as my tarp, I have the Funky Forest Tarp by the Travel Hammock company. It is a good diamond shaped tarp but I was hoping to be able to rotate it for heavier rains to create a squared set up so I could batten down the hatches so to speak. I live in central Ohio and it can rain quite heavily so I was hoping for better coverage. I do like the tarp but have yet to try it out in rainy weather. So we'll just have to see as time goes by. Worse comes to worse I'll just sew myself some different shaped tarps to find out what I like best. The diamond is easy to set up, which is a plus!
    while out in my backyard testing the ATHH last weekend I had my funky Forest tarp up. I found two loops on the down part of the tar and took these and pulled them together and tied them up to enclose one end of the tarp for more coverage. It would probably work well in blowing rain to tie both ends shut.
    I may sleep out back tonight in my Skeeter Beeter pro tonight I will set up tarp and take picturesof the ends closed off like I mentioned above.
    Last edited by rigidpsycho; 06-25-2008 at 12:33.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    while out in my backyard testing the ATHH last weekend I had my funky Forest tarp up. I found two loops on the down part of the tar and took these and pulled them together and tied them up to enclose one end of the tarp for more coverage. It would probably work well in blowing rain to tie both ends shut.
    I may sleep out back tonight in my Skeeter Beeter pro tonight I will set up tarp and take picturesof the ends closed off like I mentioned above.
    I have mine setup so I'm gonna try this as well. If it doesn't work I may make another tarp for stormier weather, or I've also been thinking of creating wing like extensions that could be added to the tarp to shut off the ends. we'll see!

Hammock
    Double Travel hammock
    Tarp
    ENO dry fly
    I have an ENO dry fly which i guess would be a hexagonal cat cut tarp?

at first, I wasn't sure it was going to work, so I set it up when i knew i was gonna get a storm in the yard to test it out. I was pleasantly suprised.

I guess I'm saying to test it if you can.
    Josh

supposed to storm tonight so I'm gonna try it out. worse comes to worse, I walk inside and go to bed....that is the great part of living on 20 acres of woodland!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast