Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What sort of dn mods can i do for weight savings?

I currently have a stock dn, pro fly, guardian, and slapstraps. I'm very interested in going ul and myog. I've been hanging for a couple years and thought I knew what I was doing until I found y'all. I'll be getting my first sewing machine in a few days and I'm wondering a few things. One, getting rid of the current suspension, 2, I'm wondering if its possible to sew a bug net to the dn itself and add a horizontal zipper or Velcro. Also open to any and all weight/space saving ideas you can throw at me. Thanks!

You may be better off trying to sell your DN and getting a skeeter beeter.. but I imagine you can sew on a bugnet w/ zipper if you got the skills. search diy integrated bug net.

There's also lighter versions of tarps in the same price range and coverage as the profly, maybe check WildernessLogics.com

You already said you're switching out the suspension so good to go there.

That's my $.02

Insulation is where you really start making weight savings but is also where you really start spending money

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Start with gettin rid of the stock rope and s hook or carabiner. Whoopie slings larksheaded into the channels is pretty light. I also cut off the strap and buckle clips from the attatched stuff sack. I left the stuff sack to put my head lamp and glasses in while it's hung. Trail sticks are always available for toggles.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the feedback. Did some looking around and I'm gonna order some whoopees in the immediate future along with a ridgeline. Ill also be trimming off the strap and buckle. I couldn't find any information on integrating the bug net to the hammock. I don't have the skills yet but I think I could pull it off. If not, I'm not out of pocket anything and I'll have a better excuse to upgrade. I know what you mean about the insulation. I'm a fan of down but $200-300 is an investment. I tried to turn an old synthetic bag into an underquilt but its too heavy and bulky. Lately I've been using an under pad with a sun screen. Just not the results I want. There's a thread from Arkwater with a DIY full length with 9 oz of 800 fill power for around $100. I think that's the route I'm going to go.

That's a steal.

You'd be better off making a removeable bugnet.. maybe in the froney inspired variety.. much easier than integrated.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't order whoopies! You can EASILY make them yourself. Just order some amsteel from diygearsupply.com

First "mod" I ever did was order some whoopie hooks from Dutch and amsteel online, and made my own whoopies. I've never spliced rope before and found it really easy (and fun!) to make my own.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Ther was a tread started ether in the ENO section or the DIY section about some one cutting up there gaurdian bug net and attaching to a DN. They had pics and a walk through of what he did to make it happen. If I get the faucet I'll see if I can find of for ya.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I have done the whoopie mod and made my own straps. This year I think I am going to make a(or two) top quilt(s).

DIY is great stuff. Wait till you get into other areas (made my own cook set/alcohol stove)
    "Its ok... I have a hammock!"

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    One more thing that people do to cut weight on the DN is to cut the colored side pieces off. I personally have not seen any photos where people have done this, but it has been talked about a lot. The other thing that you can do is to get rid of the small stuff sack on the side and just stuff it into another stuff sack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast