Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarp?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Yea, Jeffs site was actually the first one I explored when I started searching for hammock camping stuff. It led me to this site and a few others I'm now checking out quite frequently. That link was extremely helpful in clarifying some of my tarp questions, muchos gracias.

Now it's just the decision of do I get a light tarp for less cash and eventually have to buy a larger one for better coverage, or do I just go ahead and get the SWT (or SWAT) or MacCat... I'm hoping someone will eventually wish to upgrade so I can pick up their old tarp. I shall keep my eyes open.

How much sewing experience is typically needed for the DIY projects?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will P View Post
    .......Now it's just the decision of do I get a light tarp for less cash and eventually have to buy a larger one for better coverage, or do I just go ahead and get the SWT (or SWAT) or MacCat... I'm hoping someone will eventually wish to upgrade so I can pick up their old tarp. I shall keep my eyes open.
    IMO, if you're going to get a tarp, go ahead and bite the bullet and get a good tarp up front. I had an ENO DryFly and liked it at first, but that was before I knew any other good tarps existed. My advice unto thee if you're not able to sew is to save your pennies. I know it may sound corny, but I saved change for about a year and in the end, had enough money to not only buy a SWAT, but a SnugFit as well. I was only planning on a SnugFit, but finally got fed up with my old tarp and wanted better coverage. In the end, I wound up with a great underquilt and a tarp that I really like.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    If you don't mind white, try this one.
    It says they are out of stock, but I think that changes from day to day.
    I kept checking the site and got one a couple of weeks ago.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    I really like the look of the Kelty 9 and that white Guide Gear (thanks). But it definitely seems more practical to have something like the SWT (which may be an upcoming birthday present ).

Another question, which, if this is all debated somewhere already, please point me in the right direction. Basically, it seems like it'd be nice to have a tarp for any weather conditions (SWT) as well as a lighter, more open one (e.g. 9x9 diamond) for nice, uneventful days in terms of precipitation. So here's my question.. for summer hiking in the NC mountains, is a smaller diamond going to be enough coverage in a storm? or will the SWT provide the coverage and also allow me to easily open up, look out, and enjoy my surroundings as much as a diamond?

You guys are awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience and hammock camping wisdom. I'm really looking forward to my next trip.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Ok I'm seeing a lot of the stuff related to that last question I had in the square vs. diamond thread.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    What's the price point on the Gear Guide?

I just picked up this tarp from Campmor for $40
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22220

They arrived yesterday and first impressions are good. The 21 tie-outs are narrow, white nylon strips stitched through the tarp and reinforced with web tabs on the under side.

Hope to get a few pics of it in action this weekend. 40% chance of rain, I should be able to verify the waterproof qualities of the tarp.

Images
    Guide Gear tarp was $29.97 on 6-10-08

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Hard to beat that!

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Etowah 10 x 12
    Insulation
    Wally Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Cavscout,

How did the Campmor 10 x 10's work this past weekend? It looks like they might of gotten a little bit of a test.

Baerman
    Dawsonville GA

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Yeah, they got a good test We set them up on the square for optimum coverage and used the 4 side tie-outs to pull the sides out a bit more. They worked well except that on the second day I raised the ridge line to try and get more head room under the tarp. In doing this I inadvertently created a trough in the ridge where water found it's way through the center tie out in the ridge. Water was dripping right down into the middle of the hammock.I pulled the pad and blanket to the side and just let the water drip on through. Once the rain stopped, I pulled the seam sealer out of the back-up tent we brought and sealed up the tie-out. Of course it didn't rain again after that. All other water and wind were repelled. Considering I really wanted a green tarp, relatively light with lots of tie-outs at a low cost this was a good deal.

I'll have a more detailed write up of the trip in another thread in a day or so, but I'd call it a successful first hang. My Son and I are sold on hammock camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast