Hammock
    still working on my diy

design help, please

i just got fabric to start my first gathered end hammock. i made some rough sketches of design, i'm not sure as to the need of some of my ideas. please help, i need input, and more knowledge. here's the plan:

a double layer of 1.9 rip stop nylon (i'm a big dude, and my wife wants to be able to lay in it with me)

11ft or so long

zipper opening to insert sleep pad

tie outs, similar to the hh

and stretch sides to create a foot-box, and head-box, (idea taken from Knotty)

now i guess here's my main questions, are the tie outs, and stretch sides over kill? Also, I've never used a foot-box, will the stretch sides really replace the foot, and head- boxes?

thank you, i'm looking forward to you input.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Never used a stretch-side hammock. Have seen a few videos about them. It does look like a simple, yet effective, way to keep head & foot from sliding out of the hammock. An alternative is the paralelogram shape of the Switchback hammock body.

Tie-outs aren't really necessary. I seldom use them on my Blackbird, even more rare that I use them both. Some people claim they reduce shoulder squeeze, but with DL 1.9oz nylon it should be quite minimal anyway. Just a matter of personal prefference I guess.

Good Luck & remember our mantra... "Pics or it didn't happen."
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You don't need to complicate things with a zippered pad compartment. Just don't sew the 2 layers completely together. You could leave about 3' unsewn in the middle or leave a couple of 2' sections unsewn nearer the hammock ends. You can wrestle your pad in and straighten it out through those slots.

The stretch sides do two things.
    1. Tames the floppy edges of the hammock, which some find annoying.
    2. Helps to keep your quilt from going overboard.

I think the only time tie-outs are called for is when your bugnet is falling in your face. Tie-outs will keep the net taut on that situation.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I like what you have getting set up for you. I too believe the tieout are unnecessary but they are a quick add-on and you can then decide to use them or not when you want.
    The stretch side option sounds great. It is something I am retro-fitting a few of my hammocks with as well as including with a couple of new creations. I think Hangnout actually has a thread where he puts in a footbox and stretchsides to his hammock.

The option I am not entirely keen on in the zipper for the pad compartment. I tend not to use pads but when I do, having velcro or simply a decent size opening seems simplest and works well.

Good Luck!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I made a double hammock from plans at DIY Gear Supply website. It has openings on diagonal sides for pad adjustments without needing the zipper. Works great and the pad will not go anywhere. It'll save you some weight and sewing. Just a suggestion. I plan on retrofitting stretch sides to my hammock as soon as I get time to sew. Good luck!

Hammock
    still working on my diy
    thanks for all the help, the DIYgearsupply is also where i got my ideas flowing. i think that most of you are right about the zipper. i was thinking that unlike to DIYgearsupply design i would leave the opening for the sleep pad in the middle, rather then off center, only because of the tie outs, now i'm started to rethink thoughs as well. Would leaving out the tie outs (i know that i can always add them later) create pinching with two people in the hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tincan View Post
    Would leaving out the tie outs (i know that i can always add them later) create pinching with two people in the hammock?
    No more so than any hammock with two people in one hammock bed. Besides, the tie-outs would need to be made of Amsteel to counter the forces of two people and would likely make an uncomfortable hammock. Sleeping two in a hammock is not commonly seen as "good" around here for some valid reasons. My GF and I sleep two regularly and enjoy it, but it ain't for all.

In point of fact, when Genuine Draft wants to climb into my Blackbird with me, the first thing I do is pop the tie-outs loose (if they are set) before she gets in. I don't want to risk a flying stake.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    still working on my diy
    Why is two people not seem as good? Clearly you all know something I don't. I'm quite new to this.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Why is two people not seem as good? Clearly you all know something I don't. I'm quite new to this.
    Mostly because weight seeks the lowest point of the hammock. That means that two people get pushed together by the shape of the hammock, causing discomfort unless they can agree on pressure points and sleeping positions between them. It's not like a bed, where two folks can lay on the bed and not have their weight on each other even if it's small enough that they're touching.

That being said, if the two people can work all that out, it could be an interesting experience.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    thanks for all the help, the DIYgearsupply is also where i got my ideas flowing. i think that most of you are right about the zipper. i was thinking that unlike to DIYgearsupply design i would leave the opening for the sleep pad in the middle, rather then off center, only because of the tie outs, now i'm started to rethink thoughs as well. Would leaving out the tie outs (i know that i can always add them later) create pinching with two people in the hammock?
    I agree with everyone else that the zipper is a bad idea.

Do the stretch side, leave openings for pad insertion anyplace you want. I like openings on both sides for easier pad adjustments.

I don't think the tie-outs will gain much and as you stated, can be added later just as easily.

• + New Posts