Texas - Colorado Bend SP Questions

Similar to another post, but a different park - who has hung at Colorado Bend State Park? What could I expect as far as crowding (other people) at the back pack camping areas? Do these sites have to be reserved in advance? (Guess I could call the park on that one..). I was hoping to maybe do a two or three-night trip during my 4-day weekend "spring break" next weekend, but now I am concerned that perhaps I should have reserved a site ahead of time. I prefer isolated areas for camping because my dog does not get along very well with other dogs and it would probably be a nightmare to be camped within sight of another dog, so I don't really like to take the chance.

Any other suggestions for camping/backpacking nearby? We have been hiking around the Lone Star Trail, but I was looking for something a little different this time. It doesn't have to have super long trails, we were planning to take it a little easy. I have read through most of the park websites, but would appreciate some personal recommendations.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Gonna be there next week myself, with a couple buddies. Just taking a hammock, so I hope they allow hanging in the primitive areas.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I used to volunteer with TPWD and I can tell your that Spring Break is going to be tough. Have you thought about the Lone Star Hiking Trail? Most of that is hang freindly and hike in.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palameto View Post
    who has hung at Colorado Bend State Park?

Any other suggestions for camping/backpacking nearby? We have been hiking around the Lone Star Trail, but I was looking for something a little different this time. It doesn't have to have super long trails, we were planning to take it a little easy. I have read through most of the park websites, but would appreciate some personal recommendations.
    My wife and I checked out Colorado Bend on a recon for our college group recently. It's a nice place, off the beaten path. I think there's a 6 mile dirt road through private property you take to get there.

They have a couple of primitive hike in areas. One is in the middle of a grassland area with no trees. The other is a short hike from the main camp area along the river bank. There are not many trees but it is doable for a couple of hammocks unless someone beats you to the tree areas. The main area is more like a city park with an open field and campsites around the perimeter. (Some with trees, most without.)

The short of it, is it's a nice place but I would not try it on a busy weekend, at least without calling first.

I have had a great time at Fairfield Lake State Park, (the site of our annual Texas Fall Group Hang). There are places to car camp and it also has a primitive area that's about a 2 mile hike in to the sites.

Another option would be to hit the road north and east and get into the Ouachitas or Ozarks of Arkansas. Lots of great trails and places to hang. If you go the first weekend of Spring break there's a group hang at Kyle's Landing on the Buffalo River.

Other Texas options might include Lost Maple SNA south west of Kerrville or if you don't mind driving just a bit more, Palo Duro Canyon outside of Amarillo, although it may be packed on a Spring Break. The best bet is to call ahead on any of the state parks.

Thanks everyone! I was hoping to see some of the Hill Country, but it does sound like during spring break perhaps we should just go back to the Lone Star hiking trail. Actually, some friends are trying to talk us into heading to Big Bend with them, but we would basically spend 2 of the 4 days off driving. Also, are there even any trees in Big Bend?

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by palameto View Post
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping to see some of the Hill Country, but it does sound like during spring break perhaps we should just go back to the Lone Star hiking trail. Actually, some friends are trying to talk us into heading to Big Bend with them, but we would basically spend 2 of the 4 days off driving. Also, are there even any trees in Big Bend?
    Big Bend is awesome. Pretty nice trees up and around the basin. A buddy and I did the Outer Mountain Loop 3 yrs ago. Absolutely spectacular. Once you hit the desert though, nothing much more than waist height. The big obstacle for us was water. With only one semi-reliable creek and one restock cache you've got to pack a bunch of water. Of course the OML is only a fraction of what that park has to offer. You can spend the entire day just driving in it.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Well, we are going to Big Bend! I got a petsitter for the dog, as they are not allowed on the trails. Still working on the planning, I think we are going with a few other friends and not sure how into backpacking they are.. so it might be more like car camping. I guess I will end up bringing the hammocks and the tent and see where we end up!

I still plan to check out Colorado Bend, maybe just on a regular weekend before it gets too hot! Thanks for all the responses!

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    if colorado bend is full there are two private campgrounds up river. i havent been told i cant hang at any state camp grounds yet or any of the lcra camp grounds

• + New Posts