Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Irritated with Missouri State Parks, need help!

I am new to hammocks, but not to camping and backpacking. I am hooked by the way. Generally I prefer camping off of trails, but sometimes it is nice to just drive to a campground, with a cooler and other niceties, and then go on day hikes, knowing a cold beverage waits at the end

In excitement of using my new hammock on all my outdoor trips, I called Missouri state parks to make sure there were not any issues. To my surprise, they said that hanging anything from trees in a campground is prohibited. How frustrating and unfair! It seems like a person can drive in a huge RV with satellite dishes hanging off, and motorcycles fixed to the back, but I cannot even hang an environmentally friendly hammock between two trees. WTH!

I apologize for coming out of the gate venting, as a new member, but this kind of thing gets me worked up. It has previously irritated me that on MO land, they only allow backpacker's to build fires in designated camping spots and fire pits, whereas federal land allows more freedom, which is the whole reason we are out there in the first place.

But all venting aside. Has anyone ever had success in getting policies changed regarding hammocks. Perhaps through a petition and/or educating the state park administrators regarding the benefits of hammock camping?

Thanks

-E

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You'll get a lot of sympathy here in Florida because we can't have hammocks in State Parks either.

On the good side. State Parks are where most of the RV campers go and I'm trying to get away from "civilization", so I guess it kind of works itself out in a weird way.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    On the good side. State Parks are where most of the RV campers go and I'm trying to get away from "civilization", so I guess it kind of works itself out in a weird way.
    Yeah, but....

Consider Colorado. We too, have such annoying laws in our State Parks. I seem to keep moving to states that don't like hammocks; first Florida, now Colorado.

The difference is, some of the Colorado State Parks are simply beautiful and not crowded by R/Vs. Sure I can take you to some R/V nightmares in our parks, but they are the minority out here given the size (acreage) of some of our parks. It is terribly frustrating to find just a pristine spot while on a day hike, only to come to the realization that the only way for me to hang there and enjoy it, would be to commit a crime. Even a petty one like breaking that rule, would add to the troubles other hammockers may have; so, I kick the dirt and continue on my way.

Be thankful. The City Parks out here not only forbid the tying of anything to a tree, they actively write tickets for putting a stake in the ground. You know those pop-up sun shelters folks use? Denver loves them; they make a ton of money off the fines for using them properly.

Go to Federal land. The National Parks and Forests are hammock friendly across the board with only a few exceptions where very heavy use occurs.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Try starting with and individual park and/or park manager and offer to do a demonstration. It can't hurt (unless you string it up with something like barbed wire). All kidding aside make sure you use tree straps if you try this

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    You'll get a lot of sympathy here in Florida because we can't have hammocks in State Parks either.

The rv's do crowd some but Florida has some great state parks. My modified hammock stand will go with me from now on.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Everytime this topic comes up I contemplate how such laws, regulations, or guidelines come to be; and how they get changed. My only conclusion is politics and how does the political machine in our country work? Lobbyists! Generally the group with the loudest vioce gets heard.

Now, there are threads around here with discusions about how to approach park managers & such and sway their opinion, primarily through education. However, the creation of a non-profit national organization could develop enough clout to entirely have the "law" amended to include an exception for hammocks hung with webbing (a.k.a tree huggers) on a state by state basis. That is how laws are changed, made, & eradicated in our country.

This is the first time I made mention of such an organization in a public forum. I hope that oneday HF will be able to expand into that direction.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    This is the first time I made mention of such an organization in a public forum. I hope that oneday HF will be able to expand into that direction.
    Personally, I would be one of the first folks to join such a group and would do so with gusto.

As to HF, well, that's not what we're here for. We are here for you and for other hammock users, or curious folks, to learn, discuss, and evolve this method of sleeping we all like so much. We are neutral in politics and will remain that way for many good night's sleeps ahead.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I would suggest that you call back and get a chapter and verse citation to the actual rules(s). Then read the rules and see if you are being given good information. If the rules are not as you were told before, you will know the rules when and if challenged in the park. If a prohibition actually exists, you have a starting point for a dialogue.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Solution... Since you are going to camp ground anyways and driving your car. Bring a stand. My vario stand breaks down to just a few parts. I plan on making a tripod stand like the bamboo ones when time allows. To bring on work trips that require a hotel room. And you can place the stand any where you want it too especially if they are crotchety and want you to stay in designated tent areas.

Then you have no need to anger the rangers and fight the thing. Though i understand it is a matter of principle for some but in the interim you could do that.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    From my understanding, a lot of these laws go way back because of folks nailing clotheslines to tree, putting screw hooks into trees for the old backyard hammocks, etc.

I believe Rev, through education in the new greener ways, was able to get the ok in his state parks in his area as long as tree huggers and the such are used.

As for an organization like the NRA but for hammocks, sign me up. Cannibal can be member #1, I'll be happy with #2.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast