Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My WBBB is in 1.1dbl and I like it just fine. But my Traveler is 1.7sl, and I must admit I like the feel of it better. I originally wanted a double layer because of the ability to slip a pad in there for insulation. If I had it to do over again, though, I would not have fussed with that and gone directly to the underquilt.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Lets take the opportunity of the question and forget about capacity. Let's assume the OP weighs 160lb on a 6ft frame, and if he isn't carrying a heavy hmmk, he'll put rocks in his pack to make it seem that way.

For the record: unlike some DLs, both layers are the same fabric, correct?
    Second: Is the feel, the hand of both fabrics very similar, one not more slick than the other?
    Other characteristics?
    Finally, are the 1.1 and 1.7 fabrics the same in the DL and SL?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Get a double if you think that you'll ever use a pad. Warbonnets weight recommendations seem to be spot on. Warbonnet webbing suspension is an excellent off the shelf suspension, the best I've seen so far.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Am fairly new to hanging and my (I will use the words fairly extensive, because I don't do anything lightly) research led me to the BB 1.1DBL for wife and I. This was after first getting a HH Exp and trying it out in the garage. 1.7 DBL seemed a bit too much in terms of weight but I liked the idea of having the option to use a pad if it ever got that cold. I'm 5'11" was 200lbs at the time, I'm down to 187 after a few weeks of going Primal but that's another story.

Now in retrospect, I don't think I will be out in temps that I will need a pad for additional warmth as the 20degree TQ's and UQ's we got the same day we ordered the hammocks are awesome. So I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get away with a single layer. But then again only time will tell.

We also ended up with another HH as my daughter decided last min to come hang with us down is FL. We also got her the snakeskin's (mostly because I wanted to try them out and see how they work) which she loves.

I comparison, I find the BB much more roomier and more comfy. I LOVE the footbox, shelf and the adjustable suspension that came with the BB's. We also got the Superflys and I like them more than the stock tarp that came with the HH. Although I can see myself eventually getting a smaller tarp and a 1.1 single for that matter, not as a replacement but more as an alternative for the summer hiking to keep the pack weight down. The kid, after laying in ours also thinks they are much more roomy and feel more comfortable.

Bottom line is that I don't think you can go wrong with a BB. If you end up really hating it, you can always part with it here on the forum for nearly what you paid for it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I went with the 1.1 double myself. However just note that shipping isn't actually a week. Most people have been waiting longer for theirs.

Although worth the wait (I'm still waiting on mines), I always get too excited and impatient. Might just order another one from someone else to have something to use while I wait.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I ordered the 1.7 SL after much debate with myself. Still in wait mode on delivery. I wanted to keep the weight of the hammock down, but still have enough hammock to easily support my weight and the stuff I may bring into the hammock with me. I went with the single layer as I don't see myself sticking with a pad if I really fall in love with the hammock.

I think it was Shug who recommended using a pad in the hammock with the UQ, but don't know if he was considering a double layer hammock or trying to put the pad in the UQ suspending it under the hammock... Just doesn't seem like an good idea.

I also read that you don't need a double layer if you are using a partial UQ and a pad for your legs.

That is my thought process.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The difference is actually about how much the fabric will stretch, which makes the user's weight an issue. I'm a 'portly' fella at 6' and 240ish. I have still slept many good nights in hammocks made from a single layer of 1.1 fabric. But, they stretch a good bit. There are a few folks that actually prefer some stretch, most do not.
    I'm one of those who like a bit more stretch. 6-2 and about 270 to 250 (depending on will power). Started with the WBBB 1.7 dbl and then got a Traveler 1.1 dbl. Loved the Traveler feel so got a WBBB 1.1 dbl and find that I like the feel better as well. All kind of subjective...

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm curious; are the double layers "mosquito proof?"

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by adkphoto View Post

David
    My thoughts too. I had always believed that a double layer provided more protection from insects biting through the fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by adkphoto View Post

David
    I have found mine to be. 1.7 dbl.

If I had it to do over I would go with a 1.1 dbl for weight. But I would still get the double. Though I like what an underquilt can do in terms of insulation and weight savings I foresee times when getting wet will be a problem. A ccf pad is lightweight and I have no issues with water with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast