Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah UL 10x10
    Insulation
    Pad/Poncho liner

Start off cheap or spring for higher end

Over the past couple weeks I have been going back and forth between what hammock I want to buy for my first one. I thought I narrowed it down to the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro or an ENO Doublenest, ..well... I thought I narrowed it down.. After more research I noticed the GTSBP was a bit on the heavy side, and the ENO didn't come with a bug net. Neither of these are huge deals, but they made me second guess purchasing them.

From lurking the forums I see a LOT of "WBBB" in the types of hammocks people use, and have seen quite a few people rave about them in youtube vids. This got me thinking, would it be better to buy a cheaper hammock outright (i.e. the GTSBP or an ENO DN) and maybe a few accessories (whoopies, dutch gear..etc) or buy a more higher end hammock (WBBB) and just deal with the hit to my bank account (I like top ramen and PB&J sammiches).. being single in California is expensive, so my gear money is limited.. So my question to the more experienced hammockers, should I buy a cheaper hammock or spring for the more expensive WBBB?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Go big!! I started with the skeeter Beeter UL, used it a few times, then made my own (no net), then gave in and got the BB, great buy!! Now I have a SBUL fora loaner

I wouldn't start out cheap if you plan on really getting into it. I am still using my eno with cheap tarps and DIY. I came over from backpacking with a tent. So what I have is quite a bit easier and don't plan on dropping anything on a new hammock. But if I knew then what I know now... I would of been more open to pricier setups with more amenities.

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    You will definitely hear this a lot but it isn't really the price of the gear that determines the perceived quality but it is whether or not it meets your needs. for example, if bugs are not an issue for you then having a hammock like the WBBB with a built in bug net is overkill or if you are a bigger fella and you get the GTUL then that is not a value either. I would recommend listing out your needs for the majority of the time you will be camping and then start looking for what fits those needs. I know it seems like common sense but I think we all get a little googley eyed when we look at all of out options and start to think "what-if"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    The WBBB is a great start and a better place to put your money in my experience. I would follow the sales board and pick up a slightly used one for cheaper to get more bang for the buck! Some great deals out there!

A great thing would be to attend a group hang or hook up with a local HF member to even see if the WBBB is good for you before laying out the dollars.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

This is gonna cost more than you think

So go inexpensive on the hammock, because you will need money for an under-quilt you don't know and can't believe you will want until you find yourself distinctly chilled and uncomfortable laying in your hammock where you'd be comfortable sitting on (non-conductive ) chair with a jacket on.

Blow your budget now on a WBBB or similar, for ~ $140- $180, and you will want to use it sooner and for longer than you will be comfortable when the weather is anything but warm.

The cheapies are almost all comfortable, but almost all leave out easy to use-and-adjust suspensions and necessary tree straps or equivalent. That's another $25-$40 you must budget for.

So figure on $60-$100 for hmmk, suspension, straps, and shipping. Then an underquilt.

There's a sticky here on set-ups at different price points. Be aware, though of multiple shipping and handling costs and charges.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    I jumped in on a warbonnet BB, no regrets. Choose what suits best. Everything is trial and error. Most things seem to hold fair value if you bail out or need to sell short. I bought a Big Mamajamba tarp which is a solid start, then went cuben crazy and still was able to recoop good percentage of my funds back from it basically because of its reputation. First decide if you enjoy hammocks. Then why not have the best...lol JMO

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    IMO either way is a good way. Hammock gear seams to hold its value reasonable well, so if you are unhappy with a piece of equipment you can always turn around sell it and buy something new.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    cut all the corners you can. Buy the cheapest used stuff you can find.

Everybody in this game is a gear Wh**e.

We save nickles and dimes for a newer and better whatever.

This way, you won't make any expensive mistakes and will have even more joy as you upgrade without guilt.
    grinder

Hammock
    Jazilla DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly(olive)
    Insulation
    Jazille DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ii am dealing with the same issue sell the d to buy the new. I started low but am now finding out the you get what you pay for and lighter is SO expensive, use is the way to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast