Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The Hennessy Expedition is the hammock I started with. It is a fine hammock.
    You might try e-mailing Hennessy and asking for their demo list. I'm assuming they still have this going on. Some nice deals can be had that way. You might ask to upgrade the stock tarp to the bigger hex tarp. They might do this for free.
    www.hennessyhammock.com
    What is a demo list?

I'm 6' 160lbs, so would the Expedition be too small for me? I was reading it's description that it only had 6' of space, but I may have read that wrong. I'd like to have room to stretch my legs out when I sleep. The Claytor is only $10 more, and if it's equal quality or better, than I'm sold on it. It seems sturdier and has more room.

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    My wife is from Manchester (Clay County). Good to have another Ky hanger. I hope we can get together some time. We have had a couple of hang outs in the Red River Gorge area with another one this fall.
    I may be moving to North Carolina in the fall, but if I'm still around Kentucky and these boards, tell me more details closer to the date.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Also, what other accessories are staple for hammocking? I'm going to need some kind of blanket or bag to keep warm inside if it rains. I'm not going to be far into the wilderness or anything since I'm hitchhiking, not camping, but I need to be ready for rain and heat. I'm going to be going through regions like Texas and Southern California, so heat especially is something I need to be prepared for.

I'm still trying to keep this cheap as possible. Buying a ~$150 hammock is already digging deeper thank I'd like into my small savings.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Does this mean I need to mark my calendar? Anything set in stone that I missed?
    Nothing in stone yet, but I'm thinking late September/early October. How bout a HF Halloween Hang Out? That would be cool.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshatriya View Post
    Also, what other accessories are staple for hammocking? I'm going to need some kind of blanket or bag to keep warm inside if it rains. I'm not going to be far into the wilderness or anything since I'm hitchhiking, not camping, but I need to be ready for rain and heat. I'm going to be going through regions like Texas and Southern California, so heat especially is something I need to be prepared for.

I'm still trying to keep this cheap as possible. Buying a ~$150 hammock is already digging deeper thank I'd like into my small savings.
    There's tons and tons of info around the forum on how to keep warm cheaply. The most accessible methods involve a WalMart blue foam pad (7-15 bucks), a Garlington insulator (leaf bags, emergency blankets, and a rain poncho or sheet of silnylon), and some sort of top blanket or quilt.

I suggest for summer a sleeping bag liner, either silk or fleece. The tarp you get will protect you from the rain. A simple bedsheet might be less constricting and just as packable. Or one of those Neat Sheets you find in the seasonal sections of drug stores.

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    What is a demo list?

I'm 6' 160lbs, so would the Expedition be too small for me? I was reading it's description that it only had 6' of space, but I may have read that wrong. I'd like to have room to stretch my legs out when I sleep. The Claytor is only $10 more, and if it's equal quality or better, than I'm sold on it. It seems sturdier and has more room.
    Here is a sample of what they are talking about
    demo thread

basically like seconds stuffs with cosmetic flaws you can find some really cheap stuff that way, its prety neat

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by bry961 View Post
    Here is a sample of what they are talking about
    demo thread

basically like seconds stuffs with cosmetic flaws you can find some really cheap stuff that way, its prety neat
    I emailed to see if anything was available.

I need a hammock that is complete and ready to go, without replacing anything or making any modifications. After browsing around the boards, it seems like most people replace the hanging systems and tarps from Hennessey. I'll see what deals they have available, but I think I'm leaning towards the Claytor JH if I can't find a great bargain. I'd like to get some snakeskins too. Are there particular sizes or specifics for snakeskins, or do they all fit any hammock?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    ......How bout a HF Halloween Hang Out? That would be cool.
    Excellent idea! It probably wouldn't be too close to any other hangs and would be a lot of fun. I'm totally on for that one, man. I'd definitely drive up for that one.

On a separate note, I love the new quote, HC. Mitch Hedberg was a genuis, he's definitely missed. I love his joke about the fan saying no. Hilarious!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

I may be moving to North Carolina in the fall, but if I'm still around Kentucky and these boards, tell me more details closer to the date.
    I just moved from Lexington to Charlotte. If you need a ride up to a hang at RRG, let me know. If I'm going, you're welcome to ride with me.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I emailed to see if anything was available.

I need a hammock that is complete and ready to go, without replacing anything or making any modifications. After browsing around the boards, it seems like most people replace the hanging systems and tarps from Hennessey. I'll see what deals they have available, but I think I'm leaning towards the Claytor JH if I can't find a great bargain. I'd like to get some snakeskins too. Are there particular sizes or specifics for snakeskins, or do they all fit any hammock?
    For a Claytor JH or Hennessy Expedition, go with snakeskins number 3
    I've tried this size in both those hammocks and it fit well.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue...ESSORIES-49575
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I just moved from Lexington to Charlotte. If you need a ride up to a hang at RRG, let me know. If I'm going, you're welcome to ride with me.
    If I'm still into hammocking then, I may have to take you up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    For a Claytor JH or Hennessy Expedition, go with snakeskins number 3
    I've tried this size in both those hammocks and it fit well.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue...ESSORIES-49575
    Thanks.

So, is ~$150 the cheapest price out there for a complete, reliable setup?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast