Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Hrm...no sewing, you said? It might be worth just bringing a sheet or something into the hammock with you to go over the pad. Sorry that I don't have a better idea.
    I have nothing against low tech solutions. I usually bring a sheet for inside my sleeping bag anyway. Still, I like the idea of rigging a second layer outside my hammock, where I could put the pad.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You could try this poncho (weather shield version at bottom of the page). It's multi-use. I rig mine as a half sock sometimes over the top of the hammock, or you could use it as a second layer underneath. Also the permethrin suggestion is a good one.

You can make it a no-sew option if you only thread the drawstring lines through the hem, I think. (haven't tried just doing it that way though)

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    You could try this poncho (weather shield version at bottom of the page). It's multi-use. I rig mine as a half sock sometimes over the top of the hammock, or you could use it as a second layer underneath. Also the permethrin suggestion is a good one.

You can make it a no-sew option if you only thread the drawstring lines through the hem, I think. (haven't tried just doing it that way though)
    This is getting close. So the hem is in the basic poncho, or only on the weather shield version?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The hems are already in the poncho.

The "weather shield" kit includes grosgrain loops to sew on, lines and cordlocks to thread through the hems, and I believe some hook and loop / velcro to also sew on, if desired. It's a very complete kit, but if you want no-sew I think you can still make it work with just the line and cordlocks.

The price is right, anyway, and it also works great as a poncho.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    +3 on the poncho.

I use a Dri-ducks poncho with DIY weathershield mod myself. Though, I primarily use it to block wind and splash-up; it should serve the purpose of detering insects as well.

Alternatively you could...

A) Get a second single lay hammock of the same deminsions and re whip them both together.

B) Purchase fabric, of the proper width, about 2ft longer than your hammock's body. Without sewing, you can roll a drawcord up in the ends and whip it altogether with your Byer. The width is gonna be important since you are wanting to avoid hemming those sides. (its not hard, intimidating at first but not hard.) you could also use heat'n bond & an iron to make temporary no sew hems if you must. In this case I would probably recommend a calandered, DWR treated, ripstop nylon; so it gives you the wind & splash resistance as well.

EDIT: Oh! And Permethrin will also go a long way to preventing insect bites through the hammock. I also find, at least for myself, that mega dosing on Vitamin B complex keeps the 'siquitos away. They can't digest it and can smell it through your skin. Garlic is very high in Vitamin B, that's why it is eaten to deter the flying devils.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 03-07-2012 at 11:23.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    I'm headed to the Boundary Waters in August, where it will be buggy. It also can be warm or chilly. I am a newbie, with a new Byers mosquito, and a ccf pad, which I plan to use with a sleeping bag in the hammock (probably). I am concerned about bugs biting through the hammock, and the colder nights. So I'm wondering if I can make a cheap and easy underlayer that will help. What if i buy some ripstop and rig it as an underlayer (no sewing, please)? Will it work, and how can i do it? This seems preferable to the extra weight of an underquilt.
    All my ideas for you were grabbed by previous posters! I'll list out my favorites for you, have used these all in the BWCA with great success.

1. Permethrin-coated hammock body. #1, hands-down, far and away.
    2. Permethrin-coated bug net. Mine is a 5'x7' piece, I drape it over the ridgeline.
    3. Using the pad is no problem, I still use pads as my primary insulation. You may also try:
    4. A "Garlington Insulator": HERE Essentially a second hammock hung beneath the one you lay on. You put insulation in between the two. Just adding that second hammock seems to trap a lot of heat. It will also serve to keep bugs at bay.

In my previous July/August trips we didn't have black flies, and the times the mosquitos were bad was early AM and in the dusk before full dark. Try a few things in your back yard before you go!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Excellent suggestions!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    In response to the question, the Byer's is a single layer of fabric, which makes it easier for the bites to go through.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    Is the Byers worse than other hammocks for bugs?
    The Byer is kind of narrow (54") and short (84"). I get bit a lot more in my Byer than in my Hennessy because I always find a body part resting against the bugnet, and the little critters feast on the easy access.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Byer is kind of narrow (54") and short (84"). I get bit a lot more in my Byer than in my Hennessy because I always find a body part resting against the bugnet, and the little critters feast on the easy access.
    I'm a lot smaller than you, so maybe I'll catch a break. Plus, even if they get through the Permethrin and nylon, they'll still find me all DEET'd up. (You can see I'm determined to make this inexpensive set up work. I can always upgrade if necessary.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast