HH Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoops

How does this look? (newbie hang)

I've got the whoopies on with no trouble, do I have the right angle on the suspension?

I'd like to have the hammock tucked as close as possible to the tarp, but as pics show the tarp tie-outs are already jamming against the whoopies. Is this normal or can it be avoided? Reg cord being used for tarp in backyard, getting zing-it for real trips.

Lastly hows the tree spacing look? To get the hammock tucked up tight against the tarp should I go with less spacing or more?

Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Better question; how does it feel?

It looks good, yes. Tarp suspension generally does get in the way of the hammock suspension when you run it below. Which, BTW, is the best way to run your tarp suspension IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looks pretty good. If you wanted to, you could have the tarp and the hammock offset a little as opposed to having both running in line with each other centred on the tree. Because its a diamond set up and the tarp ridgeline has a bit of a curve, offsetting the hammock from the tarp ridgeline should alleviate the contact a little. Also, if you have a structural ridgeline you can lower your tree attachment points but retain your sag.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Congrats on your first post and welcome to Hammock Forums from the Jersey Shore.

The pics bring more questions than answers for me.

1. Is that a Hennessy Hammock? Looks like an Expedition Asym.
    2. If you are using whoopies, which line is the whoopie? The orange one? If so, why is the whoopie connected to the white (or is it yellow) line running through the tree huggers? I'm seeing knots, which one would not expect with a whoopie sling suspension.

It appears you are using the Hennessy tree huggers, which aren't ideal for attaching whoopie slings, so maybe that's why you're running rope through the tree huggers and apparently attaching the whoopies to them?

I guess it never occurred to me to try using the Hennessy tree huggers when I converted my Expedition to whoopies. You'd be better off getting longer tree huggers with a loop on one end, tying a Marlin spike hitch with toggle on the other, and attaching the adjustable loop of the whoopie to that. Or you could use Dutch buckles to attach the adjustable loop to the tree huggers.

The whole point of converting a Hennessy to whoopie sling suspension is to get easier adjustment (no knots) and lighter weight. With your setup, I don't see either advantage. You're apparently supplementing the whoopies and tree huggers with some pretty heavy rope.

3. I think you've got your tree huggers too far up the tree, and the tarp lines too low down the tree, which is causing the issue with the tarp lines. I also don't understand why you have two lines (a loop) going around the tree to one end of the tarp. You could just larkshead one end of the rope to the tarp plastic ring, then tie the tarp rope off at the tree.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Cannibal- feels just fine, except I would like to be closer to that A-sym tarp. Feels like if a thunder-boomer came up I would get rain blowing in. I want a continuous ridge-line with a Mamajamba tarp from Warbonnet for more cover. Def wld run underneath.

Bubba- Thats not a bad idea, I'll try offsetting tomorrow afternoon.

Silvr- The pics a bad quality, the head end of my hammock has an orange whoop and the foot end a silver one so i can differentiate and not put my head where my stank feet have been. Good eye on the HH Expedition, bc thats it!

I have some "no name" cord tied to the tarp rings that goes around the tree back to the ring with taut hitches. I could go around the tree then directly back to the line itself for a better setup? There are 2 separate pieces of rope btw, not a continuous...which i want soon.

There are toggles through marlin-spikes on the tree huggers which are the stock HH ones, I would like longer ones soon but did not know there are whoopie specific brands. (thanks)

I'll try moving the suspension and tarp lines closer tomorrow.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If the hammock feels comfortable than its good. As for the tarp an Asym design really gives you the bare minimum of protection, but some find it to cover enough for all but serious wind driven rain. If a storm is rolling in proper site selection will help a good deal with keeping you dry. Welcome Aboard, and good luck, looks like you're off to a great start.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thought I'd mention, I think my suggestion of offsetting the two would work better if your tarp ridgeline tie were not set up with a "V" but rather just one line going from the tarp to the tree. Let us know how things go.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As mentioned, that stock Hennessy tarp is great for straight-down rain. My first night out in my Expedition hammock we got five inches of rain and I was bone dry. Now with blowing rain a tarp with bigger coverage like a Mamajamba is definitely gonna keep you drier.

The Hennessy tree huggers were specifically designed with two loops so you could tie that funky knot through it with the stock suspension. Most folks I've seen using whoopies have a loop just on one end. I got my 8-ft straps from http://www.strapworks.com.

Dutch is now selling a system with whoopie hooks, and the fixed loop attached to a sewn loop on the tree huggers. I haven't seen that deployed yet, but it's interesting.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Cat- I don't like the idea on bare coverage, I love the smokies and southern Appalachians and from what I've heard it can be sunny one hour and a gail of rain the next so I'll go with something more protective My first night in the HH i woke up to rain coming in on me with the tarp up. It wasn't pouring in, but was enough to make it less comfortable.

Bubba- I'm going to do that first thing after work tomorrow. Makes more sense to not have a V now that u mention it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey....your hangin'! You'll find your hang groove the more you pitch your rig. Part of the fun process.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast