How much insulation is needed?

I've seen some write ups on making a homemade JRB or KAQ underquilt. I'm good on how to make the underquilt, but I'm not sure how much insulation I'll need.

The quilt is going to be used with a Eureka! 30+ synthetic mummy bag on top. Not sure if I'll use it as a quilt or as a bag, depends on the weather I suppose. I don't plan on taking this down to any less than 40*F. Most use will be in the 50-65*F range.

Looking at the insulation at Thru Hiker, I'm not sure whether I should be using Climashield or Primaloft. Primaloft seems cheaper. I'm not sure what weight I will need, because I don't have a lot of experience with these things. I would prefer to do synthetic for my first UQ to keep it simple. This is going on a homemade HH-style asym hammock.

The climashield XP says it's rated at 40* for the 2.5oz. That would put me at about 25.00 for 2.5 yards, which should be enough to make a whole UQ.. but it seems like everyone uses more insulation than this.

Any thoughts to get me started? I want to emphasize on having a cheaper build cost with reasonable quality. Compactness can take a second hand (which is why I'm choosing synthetic over down.) Sorry to post a thread that's probably been asked (I did search) but I'm really not sure what to do here.

Also: Thinsulate from rockywoods (here) looks pretty cheap too.

I'm not really sure where to start.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have recently taken the crash course in synthetic insulation myself, and for what it's worth, here's what I found out:

1. Synthetic insulation can be divided into two main categories: solid core and hollow core fibers. The solid core will retain it's loft longer than hollow core, but it is heavier per volume, heavier per clo rating (a measure of insulation power per ounce) and much bulkier.

2. There is a great deal of hype, bogus scientific data, and out-and-out lies that get spread around by the various different insulation manufacturers about their products. One case in point is Thinsulate, which was hailed as a miracle insulation when 3M first put it out, and they spent a ton of money on a PR campaign to convince people of its superior properties. It is currently being used only in clothing such as hunting coats and gloves. It is warm, but nothing special, and certainly there are better options for the money.

3. Iafte has done a quilt using polyester batting from Wal-mart and he told me that it keeps him plenty warm. You could check with him about a specific temp at which he was comfortable. As I recall, he told me that he's a warm sleeper.

4. Climashield XP has a higher clo rating than Primaloft, and that is what I went with for my first quilt. I used the 5 oz/yd. stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't get it done until the good (read cold) weather was all done, so I'll have to wait to do any meaningful testing.

My advice: if money is a prime concern, try the Wally World insulation with some dollar bin fabric. If Climashield XP is in your budget, go with that.
    -Just my two cents.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I'd be interested to hear from several people trying out quilts & underquilts w/ the wal-mart quilt batting.
    I don't think it's going to match the weight to warmth of some of the better insulations, but I used it on an insulated hammock & it does insulate.

For someone wanting to get set up for not much cash, that & the $1 bin fabric would be a good option.
    And you don't need rip stop from the $1 bin for quilts. They almost always have some decent, lightweight nylon or polyester that works fine for quilts.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    I've seen some write ups on making a homemade JRB or KAQ underquilt. I'm good on how to make the underquilt, but I'm not sure how much insulation I'll need.

The quilt is going to be used with a Eureka! 30+ synthetic mummy bag on top. Not sure if I'll use it as a quilt or as a bag, depends on the weather I suppose. I don't plan on taking this down to any less than 40*F. Most use will be in the 50-65*F range.

Looking at the insulation at Thru Hiker, I'm not sure whether I should be using Climashield or Primaloft. Primaloft seems cheaper. I'm not sure what weight I will need, because I don't have a lot of experience with these things. I would prefer to do synthetic for my first UQ to keep it simple. This is going on a homemade HH-style asym hammock.

The climashield XP says it's rated at 40* for the 2.5oz. That would put me at about 25.00 for 2.5 yards, which should be enough to make a whole UQ.. but it seems like everyone uses more insulation than this.

Any thoughts to get me started? I want to emphasize on having a cheaper build cost with reasonable quality. Compactness can take a second hand (which is why I'm choosing synthetic over down.) Sorry to post a thread that's probably been asked (I did search) but I'm really not sure what to do here.
    when it comes to pads,3/8 in army closed cell pad works for me.it has taken me down to the single digits.neo
    Last edited by neo; 06-26-2008 at 21:42.
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts