Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Campmor 8 by 8
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images

Keep warm?

I need some ways to stay warm in chilly weather, but not freezing temps. What are some ways to keep warm but still have a UL hammock?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gclimb View Post
    I need some ways to stay warm in chilly weather, but not freezing temps. What are some ways to keep warm but still have a UL hammock?
    Welcome to the site. Give us a little more info. about your set-up. Hammock, bag, tarp, etc. Here is a good list of hammock/gear weight. www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html
    Be sure to check out the rest of Jeff's great site.
    www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-27-2008 at 11:41.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Campmor 8 by 8
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    I love his site. My hammock is made of teffida (spelling ?), it is a littles small. The tarp is 8 by 8 and is pitched by the corners sorry I don't have a picture.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Campmor 8 by 8
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images

Heres My hammock

I also have Velcro to close it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gclimb View Post
    I love his site. My hammock is made of teffida (spelling ?), it is a littles small. The tarp is 8 by 8 and is pitched by the corners sorry I don't have a picture.
    have you tried an underquilt? The Jacks R Better "Hudson River" is what I use, and it weighs less than a thermarest Prolite 3.
    In the summer, I can get away with a 1/4" foam pad under my Bridge hammock (the design is pad friendly)
    you may dislike CCF inside your hammock unless you have a pad sleeve, or it may not bother you. I would look at both options. The "super shelter" and "Garlington Taco" help to keep you warm, and there are other underquilts such as the "Snugfit" or a homemade style.

as a ultra-light backpacker, i struggled to find ways to keep a reasonable shelter load. One of my best (for me) rigs is a Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeter with a MacCat standard in black, a homemade 1/2 UQ and 20"x24"
    ccf pad for my legs. The whole set up is 47oz* with everything (stakes, sacks, etc..) The tarp is primarily for shade since I see little rain. (just like you)

*compare this to my old setup, a TT Contrail, Prolite 3 pad, WM Highlite bag- 61oz

Even for cold sleepers a 1/4" or 3/8" pad should be enough to ward off the underneath cold for temps in the 40's and above. Some can make it to the mid- or low 20s with such a pad (me too) but that kind of performance leads to detailed discussion of the individual sleep systems and other variables.

Oware use to offer thin pads...don't know if they still do...they weighed in at 6-7oz and were pretty much no slip and quite large; 40X60". I think Gossamer has a similar pad. I've always thought the Oware provided a lot of insulation for its 7oz.

IMO, once the underinsulation issue is solved, the rest of the sleep system falls into place and you can use your 'normal' set-up; bag, quilt, etc.

FB

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    have you tried an underquilt? The Jacks R Better "Hudson River" is what I use, and it weighs less than a thermarest Prolite 3.
    In the summer, I can get away with a 1/4" foam pad under my Bridge hammock (the design is pad friendly)
    you may dislike CCF inside your hammock unless you have a pad sleeve, or it may not bother you. I would look at both options. The "super shelter" and "Garlington Taco" help to keep you warm, and there are other underquilts such as the "Snugfit" or a homemade style.

as a ultra-light backpacker, i struggled to find ways to keep a reasonable shelter load. One of my best (for me) rigs is a Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeter with a MacCat standard in black, a homemade 1/2 UQ and 20"x24"
    ccf pad for my legs. The whole set up is 47oz* with everything (stakes, sacks, etc..) The tarp is primarily for shade since I see little rain. (just like you)

*compare this to my old setup, a TT Contrail, Prolite 3 pad, WM Highlite bag- 61oz
    Hudson River quilt is included in the Summer Sizzler Sale , too.... great savings.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I too am looking at good quality underpads. Gossamergear has 1/8, 1/4, amd 3/8 evazote pads ranging from 19 - 41 inches wide, and 59 - 61 inches long. Speers also carries a high density closed cell foam, ranging from 24 - 40 inches wide, and 80 inches long. Both foams have had very good reviews from those who like underfoam. I could not find any similar foams available at the Onaware site.

John

Quote Originally Posted by OldnSlow View Post
    I too am looking at good quality underpads. Gossamergear has 1/8, 1/4, amd 3/8 evazote pads ranging from 19 - 41 inches wide, and 59 - 61 inches long. Speers also carries a high density closed cell foam, ranging from 24 - 40 inches wide, and 80 inches long. Both foams have had very good reviews from those who like underfoam. I could not find any similar foams available at the Onaware site.

John
    oware has a very strange setup... their ordering page has it listed but their main site does not:

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?...=3&productId=8

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    wool long johns, and a wind barrier/under bottom, is a 1st / last line of defense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast