HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

Cuben Tarps & Bungee Rigging

Hello all,

I recently purchased a HG 4 season Cat Cut Cuben Fiber tarp. (mouthful) I've had a few chances to set it up with completely static guylines. We've had some nice windy days lately and I found it reasonably easy to pitch in the wind. I was able to get a nice taught pitch that held well even in the constant battering of wind with gust up to probably 20MPH. That is due to the lack of stretch from the cuben. However, I've read warnings about having such a drum taught pitch as it leaves the cuben open to puncture from falling, wind blow, twigs or what not.

So, I was wondering, would appling shockcord to the majority of the rigging provide some of that give. Would that reduce the risk of field damage while still maintaining a taught pitch? Even in high winds the tarp would deform somewhat but then reform as the wind died down.

Now, I have used bungee loops on larger nylon tarp to maintain a taught pitch as they stretched with excellent success. And, it is something I can try with my cuben tarp. I'm more concerned about a small limb or twig coming through my $300 tarp.

With thus I open the discussion for how to best pitch/rig a CF tarp for maximum lifespan.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Cuben is tough. There is no surefire way to prevent a falling stick from puncturing the fabric, be it cuben or sil or whatever. Falling sticks can and will happen.

If it gives any peace of mind, apply some shockcord to your guy-out points or along the guylines.

Good thing about any small holes is they are easily patched and give the tarp character.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls

Confessions of an Over-Rigger

Why not just enjoy the tarp and accept that it may need to be repaired someday, it might even be a fun opportunity to learn about prepping and gluing up cuben. I've done some 50mph+ outings, just pitch it tight and forget about the tensioners, they weigh a lot and I don't find that they help except maybe on the side pulls though not even a necessity. After all it's El Tarpo Cubano, "weee doon neeed no steeenkeen tenshunners!"

This from a confessed over-rigger, a HG 4S has (14) attachment points, things really adds up quickly, shock cord is lots heavier than the tech lines so keep it to an absolute minimum. Stakes; mix em up, you don't need big holding power for the doors and you can reduce the number of stakes you carry as you get more outings in and learn what works for you.

Maybe I should do a video about how I took a 6.5oz cuben to 18oz, call it "How Not to Rig a 4S Cuben Tarp: Confessions of an Over-Rigger"

Have fun!

David

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I got a hole in mine. bridge hammock pole accident)...stuck some Gorilla tape on it in the woods. Still on there. No leaks. gives it character))))))
    I use some lines with shockcord on them as well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle
    Cuben is tough.
    There is no surefire way to prevent a falling stick from puncturing the fabric, be it cuben or sil or whatever. Falling sticks can and will happen.
    Of this I have no doubt it is inevitable and the only way to prevent it it is to never pitch the tarp outdoors. Agreed!

I guess I was wondering about the scientific aspect of if the shockcord could absorb enough force, fast enough, from those angles, to reduce the likely hood of a puncture. As I recall the 0.51oz/yd^2 cuben is a lil easier to puncture than 1.1oz silny.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    If I hot a hole in anything that cost $300 I'd be pretty ticked off so I don't blame you for wanting to baby it . Try the shock cords and let I'd know how it goes . Pics please.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Heck guys,,the gear you buy is not made to baby, but to enjoy your abuse and use you give it. Like Shug said,,gives it character and many stories to be told, if you do scratch and dent it. I hate walking around in the woods with the tags on new gear! lmao. Kinda makes me look like a noobie, and not a vet! I like the aspects of testing my gear out and seeing how far I can take it before its totally abused and it gives me a alittle better understanding of its survivalability as well as mine too.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Agreed, use your tarp. Repair if necessary. That said, I do run shock cord on my cuben tarps not for hole prevention but because I'm always tripping over my guy lines and the stretch provides some give to help the tarp/line recover.

S

• + New Posts