Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images

If you are considering an ENO Reactor, Read this first!

Before I send my Reactor back, I wanted to share the issue I had in hopes of preventing anyone here having to endure the same hassle. If I thought it was an issue with just my hammock I would've sent it back without posting this but I think this issue could possibly affect a lot of hammocks.

Aside from one major issue the build quality and materials are on par with other ENO hammocks, which I've always considered very good. The Reactor is Eno's first dual layer hammock, it has a wider hammock layer, that is 5.5ft wide and a narrower sleeve layer that is 3.25ft wide.

This my reactor hanging up in a friends basement, it is hanging with the green narrower sleeve facing up, and the wider blue material underneath.

Everything appears normal until you apply some tension. The sleeve layer is significantly shorter than the hammock layer.

Which means that this over 1ft wide (per side) of material.

Is not useable as it hangs tensionless down the side

Flipping it over doesn't help, the green material tightens, and the blue material droops off to the side.

So here I am with a 3.25ft wide hammock, that has a 5.5ft wide pad sleeve. ಠ_ಠ

Here it is with a Kelty camp pillow for reference.

If you look closely at the Eno Reactor webpage, you will see that the hammock pictured on the front page has this same issue. Look at the flap of extra material that the bag is hanging from. This means that Eno is very likely aware of the issue.
    I suspect that Eno got a bad batch from it's supplier and just can't afford to scrap them, so they're selling them in hopes that no one will notice. Hopefully they will correct this issue asap, in the meantime:
    Don't buy a Reactor without checking it out first or make sure that where your're ordering it from has a good return policy.

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I understand your concerns with the design, and thank you for sharing with us.

However, have you given it a chance yet?

Seems like a good idea to hang it outside and at least take a nap in it.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strung out View Post
    I understand your concerns with the design, and thank you for sharing with us.

However, have you given it a chance yet?

Seems like a good idea to hang it outside and at least take a nap in it.
    I have tried laying in it, but the only way I fit is straight banana style. If I try laying in it at angle to be more flat at anything greater than 5 degrees, my feet and head hang off the edge and I'm only 5'11".

The sleeve with a cheap thermarest pad makes a huge difference, I really want to like this hammock and once they fix this issue I'll buy another. In the meantime I'll just use my gf's singlenest.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like it would be an issue if you had it with a proper 30* hang. They should have made both layers the same length, even if they weren't the same width.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    just proves yet again how ENO could be a successful company if theyd listen to their customers. this hammock, the crapstraps, and their new double deluxe... who needs this big of a hammock? dont get me wrong, i like eno for its simplicity and use their singlenest, but they could be a better company if they put alot of thought into new products by listening to their customers. just my 2 cents.
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

I kinda wish I seen this thread before I ordered the onelink system. Hell, I'll give it a shot this weekend. I've never owned or tried a hammock for camping and I hope this doesn't turn me away! (doubtful)

I strung mine up between two bed posts and I have the same issue. my hammock is the red/charcoal unlike yours. I ordered mine this past weekend.

I was looking at this one or the HH explorer w/zip (I'm a weee bit of shape)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorwin822 View Post
    Kind of different hammocks. Don't the Explorers have bugnets?

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images
    I kinda wish I seen this thread before I ordered the onelink system. Hell, I'll give it a shot this weekend. I've never owned or tried a hammock for camping and I hope this doesn't turn me away! (doubtful)

I strung mine up between two bed posts and I have the same issue. my hammock is the red/charcoal unlike yours. I ordered mine this past weekend.

Hopefully you ordered it from somewhere that will let you return it. If it turns out bad don't let Eno ruin it for you. Hammock camping is amazing and there are a lot more smaller hammock companies that will take better care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleEiger View Post
    Hopefully you ordered it from somewhere that will let you return it. If it turns out bad don't let Eno ruin it for you. Hammock camping is amazing and there are a lot more smaller hammock companies that will take better care of you.
    I went out for a easy one nighter car camp. You can definitely tell when your on the pad and when your not. The hammock felt "narrow" to me, that could just be the way a hammock is. I don't know I've never done this before. I don't have enough knowledge to give this a review that it really needs.

But the #1 reason for me not getting ANY sleep last night was the Canadian Geese. They wouldn't S.T.F.U! Every two damned seconds they'd sqwak. The monster energy drink didn't help the situation but the geese, I will forever hate them now.

I get back home and I take out the hammock and fly to dry them out because of the heavy fog we had they were damp. I'm looking it over and guess what I find; a tear!

Link to pic of tear:
    http://i.imgur.com/FVAea.jpg

So Now my next question is what can I do about this tare/rip? I E-Mailed ENO to see what they'll do. Hopefully I'll hear back from them ASAP. I want to use this this coming weekend again!

rodwolfy: Yes the HH explorer comes with a bugnet.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images
    I went out for a easy one nighter car camp. You can definitely tell when your on the pad and when your not. The hammock felt "narrow" to me, that could just be the way a hammock is. I don't know I've never done this before. I don't have enough knowledge to give this a review that it really needs.
    Unfortunately due to the design the hammock is considerably narrower than it should be. The width of mine was 3ft 3in, compare that to their Singlenest which is 4ft 7in wide. Most popular single person hammocks are 4.5 to 5 feet wide.

The tear doesn't look like it was from a cut, but it looks like the fabric failed, if you can return it you may want to consider going to a different company. Currently I am looking into a Warbonnet traveler as a replacement for mine, it's a double layer hammock, with adjustable suspension for $75.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast