Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

I have seen the light.... Hanging the tarp by itself

Well I am taking the plunge to separate the tarp and the hammock from the same suspension lines. I am skinning the tarp, and trying to decide if I will BB bag the hammock or continue to skin it. I like the idea of leaving the tarp skinned to see the sky from the hammock but what really clinched the deal was the realization that if I could get the hammock out of the way under the tarp I could use the tarp for shelter during the day for cooking etc. I can't do that currently. If I BB bag it then I need to rehang each time I want to set back up. Not a problem if I am traveling each day but a pain if I am base camped. I am leaning toward skins.

I have yet to try out the system I have come up with, but I will have the chance to play with it next week. I am leaving everything as is for now so that I can revert to joined hanging if I need to. But I think this will give me enough benefit I won't want to.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Congratulations on reaching a 'mental milestone' in your hammocking experience.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I haven't decided yet my favorite way of stowing the hammock, but I know that I like using skins on the tarp.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I must have been off line when the subject of skins for tarps only came up. hmm... I've always associated skins with HH, the whole shebang. Never thought about making a skin only for the tarp. I use a Black Bishop Bag for the hammock and a stuff sack for the tarp. A skin for the tarp sounds good to me.

Has anyone posted some dimensions/pattern for a tarp skin?

Images
    when using skins on a tarp do people have to seperate pieces of cord attached to each end of the tarp to tie to trees? or do you have a card going all the way under the tarp from 1 tree to the other.
    Cheers, Jay

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jay590 View Post
    when using skins on a tarp do people have to seperate pieces of cord attached to each end of the tarp to tie to trees? or do you have a card going all the way under the tarp from 1 tree to the other.
    I believe most people (myself included) have a separate cord attached to each end of the tarp's ridgeline.
    The two cords are left hanging out of the ends of the skins, so they are available when you're ready to hang the tarp.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've got my HH hex fly in it's own skins, cords at each end with small figure 9's and a velcro wrap to keep the cords. My hammock is separate, also in skins.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    The skin I just made for my large 12 X 12 neo tarp is just one long skin (inspired by whoever posted that the big air ball in the center can sometimes be a problem).

I just bunched up the tarp (while still hanging) and grabbed the fattest part and measured around it. I then sewed the skin to that size. Hardly scientific, and most likely not the lightest ones going, but enough for me to get started. Once I get some sil and learn to sew that, I'll make some good ones.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    I must have been off line when the subject of skins for tarps only came up. hmm... I've always associated skins with HH, the whole shebang. Never thought about making a skin only for the tarp. I use a Black Bishop Bag for the hammock and a stuff sack for the tarp. A skin for the tarp sounds good to me.

Has anyone posted some dimensions/pattern for a tarp skin?
    So it happens that I made a couple of skins tonight. One for practice to see if the size would work, the other for real.

The tarp being covered is a JRB 11'x10'.

I used HH skins on the hammock last year, and didn't much care for the long tight python shape. It has some advantages, but I'm fond of rectangles I guess.

So my thinking for this skin was to make it big enough so that the tarp inside can be pressed flat, rather than be compressed into a cylinder. Then I can roll the tarp in loosely, press it flatish the whole length, and then fold the skinned tarp up and stick in a sack.

The skin is one piece. I cut it from some $1 tulle I got from WalMart. Interesting stuff...it is very stretchy in one dimension, and not stretchy at all in the other. The stiff dimension is the long one on the roll, which is just what I'd want for the skins if I had to choose. Make the length rigid but allow stretch in the the short dimension.

OK, so I cut it 12' long by 14" wide. I brought the long edges together, and sewed them together inside of a length of wide bias tape. At the endpoints of the skin I sewed on separate channels for draw-cords.

Pretty easy to make, and it works just as I'd hoped. Right now it is folded up and in a spare sack at 7" wide, 11" tall, 2" deep. (HC4U suggested sewing the skins into the sack itself. I've not done that yet, but am thinking about it. I'd have to make a new sack. At the moment I'm using an existing one).

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-04-2008 at 06:18.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    There really is no need for anything to handle a tarp easily and efficiently....

The technique that I've used for years.

First gather pegs.....roll the "down STLs around three or four fingers , wrat the last 3 feet around the roll and finish with a slip....( later they will unroll with a single turn and never tangle...and for now they will make the remainder of this simple)....Untie one end from tree 1....grasp the ridge tab..... walk over to the other ridge tab.... gasp in same hand.... pull slip knot on tree 2.... let ridge cords dangle.... find ridge seam center with free hand....extend both arms in front....place chin over "new" center.... take original center to the ridge tabs, grasp all.... fold again, and again.... with free hand pull ridge cords off to one side.... Now, from the ridge fold or roll to the open edges, flip the last 10 inches into the roll for a nice clean bundle.... roll the two ridge cords around the folded/rolled bundle.... Stick it in an outer pocket.... DONE.

Note, if wet or rainy follow aboveprocedure... just shake off at each step.... Really easy to do.

This is a 60 to 90 second drill..... never tangles.... And is ready for immediate deployment...Guarenteed as fast as SS to deploy for an afternoon storm or a lunch cover.

Bonus, it does not require snake skins, Bbishop bag or stuff sack, thus it saves 1-3 oz depending on what you use, also save the cost in $ and time to make/buy SS etc....

Try it you may like it.....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast