Thread: How much sag??

How much sag??

I am setting up the ridgeline on my Speer Hammock. I am just wondering how much sag I should set and how to measure it. Is it just a trial and error thing? Until I tried using a ridgeline I didn't realize the sag issue, but now that I have, I am sold. I also think that Mr Hennessey, while well within his right to aquire a patent on the structural ridgeline, is doing a HUGE disservice to the hammock world by not allowing every manufacturer to use it. Is it possible that someone could use the idea but attach it in a different manner and get around the patent infringement? Just an idea.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > Is it just a trial and error thing?

Yep. You just want it where you're most comfortable (which is usually also flattest).

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Which reminds me... Has anyone ever trie to make the sag adjuster shown in the HH patents?

When I built my Safari clone (aka "The ARK"), I secured one end on the ridge line as normal but on the other end put a taught line hitch to make it adjustable while I played with the length. I added a few extra hitches to keep it from slipping.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Which reminds me... Has anyone ever trie to make the sag adjuster shown in the HH patents?

When I built my Safari clone (aka "The ARK"), I secured one end on the ridge line as normal but on the other end put a taught line hitch to make it adjustable while I played with the length. I added a few extra hitches to keep it from slipping.
    I have a second (readjustable) ridge line on my hh. Its attached with small carabins to the loops at each end of the default hh ridgeline. I leave the head end carabiner hooked all the time and leave the foot end loose and only hook it when i cant get enough tension for the default ridgeline to keep the netting of my face. the foot end is the one with the taut line hitch. this second ridgeline i pass it trough the two hooks of the other ridgeline. just to get out of the way if not used.

what is the adjustable hh ridgeline like?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    I've done it before but I used techniques based on Isaac Palmer's 1901 patent where I doubled back some of the ridgeline and used a taut line or a truckers hitch.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 07-04-2008 at 10:48.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I've used the trucker's hitch to make my ridge line adjustable. It's a great method to quickly change the length of the ridge line.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts