Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithilstone View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I found thru-hiker for the Apex 5.0, but what did you use for the covering? Sil nylon? I want to keep cost down, or I may as well pay the extra $80 for a down flight jacket from underground quilts... I'm looking at 3 yards of 5.0 ($16/y) and 5 yards of Sil Nylon ($12/y) for a 56 x 80 top quilt, and then have enough left over for a pillow. That's about $120...

Did you end up sewing any quilting loops? My KAQ New River from AH is only sewn around the edges, and that seems to be just fine.

Also, about how small does it compress?
    You don't want to use sil for a quilt, especially a top quilt. You want breathable nylon for the shell. If you use a non-breathable material, you're going to get a lot of insensible perspiration (you'll wake up wet).

And while Thru-Hiker is wonderful for the latest and greatest technical fabrics to save weight, they're not so great on their pricing for things that you can get elsewhere. APEX 5.0 is going to be about the same cost there as elsewhere, but you can get breathable 1.1 oz/sq yd seconds (cosmetic defect, not a structural one) from DIY Gear Supply for $3.20 a running yard. Minus shipping, thread, cord, and cordlock, that drops your cost for the project to ~$64. If you insist on the most expensive 1.1 nylon DIY Gear Supply has, that raises the cost to ~$73 before all of the rest of it.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I made an Apex 5.0 TQ and UQ about this time last year and have used them a good bit since then so if ya don't mind I'll chime in here...

I used calendered 1.1 oz ripstop seconds from DIY Gear Supply for the shell. Based on e-mail conversations with Paul at KAQ and others, I understand that Apex is pretty stable stuff if you sew through both the insulation and shell material all the way around the perimeter...meaning, no quilting loops are necessary. If you haven't sewn all the way around...quilting loops are your friend.

About performance...everybody has different comfort levels but for me, with the Apex 5.0 TQ and UQ I'm good down to about 48-50 or so in just a t-shirt, light long sleep/lounge pants and regular socks. Around 40 I prefer a pair of fleece pants and shirt and heavier socks. Below 40 I start adding mid-weight thermals beneath the fleece. Lately my feet have been my Achilles heel (so to speek)...got to find a better way to keep them warmer. Could mean some loose, heavy wool socks, could mean trying down...

YMMV

Steve D

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR, need a TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    FLRider - Great advice, I really appreciate it! I'm just getting started on the research for my project.

Steve D - Thanks! I love my KAQ New River. I didn't get the APEX, and I'm kinda wishing I did.

I want to go down to 30 with base thermal clothes and into the 20s, if I need to, with more clothes. We'll see =/ It's not that cold that long here in the south...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl1.7/Equip 1-Person
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I found thru-hiker for the Apex 5.0, but what did you use for the covering? Sil nylon? I want to keep cost down, or I may as well pay the extra $80 for a down flight jacket from underground quilts... I'm looking at 3 yards of 5.0 ($16/y) and 5 yards of Sil Nylon ($12/y) for a 56 x 80 top quilt, and then have enough left over for a pillow. That's about $120...

Did you end up sewing any quilting loops? My KAQ New River from AH is only sewn around the edges, and that seems to be just fine.

Also, about how small does it compress?
    I sewed all 3 layers together and I did add a few quilt loops. Don't think I needed them but thought it couldn't hurt.

Can't say for sure how well it compresses I just stuff it into the bottom of my pack. I would guess its nearly as small compressed as the Jarbidge from KAQ.

I ordered the Apex from thruhiker and everything else was from DIY Gear Supply. Total cost were >$100 after shipping with enough left over for a few other small projects.

I used calendared ripstop for the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    You don't want to use sil for a quilt, especially a top quilt. You want breathable nylon for the shell. If you use a non-breathable material, you're going to get a lot of insensible perspiration (you'll wake up wet).

And while Thru-Hiker is wonderful for the latest and greatest technical fabrics to save weight, they're not so great on their pricing for things that you can get elsewhere. APEX 5.0 is going to be about the same cost there as elsewhere, but you can get breathable 1.1 oz/sq yd seconds (cosmetic defect, not a structural one) from DIY Gear Supply for $3.20 a running yard. Minus shipping, thread, cord, and cordlock, that drops your cost for the project to ~$64. If you insist on the most expensive 1.1 nylon DIY Gear Supply has, that raises the cost to ~$73 before all of the rest of it.

Hope it helps!
    Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I made an Apex 5.0 TQ and UQ about this time last year and have used them a good bit since then so if ya don't mind I'll chime in here...

I used calendered 1.1 oz ripstop seconds from DIY Gear Supply for the shell. Based on e-mail conversations with Paul at KAQ and others, I understand that Apex is pretty stable stuff if you sew through both the insulation and shell material all the way around the perimeter...meaning, no quilting loops are necessary. If you haven't sewn all the way around...quilting loops are your friend.

About performance...everybody has different comfort levels but for me, with the Apex 5.0 TQ and UQ I'm good down to about 48-50 or so in just a t-shirt, light long sleep/lounge pants and regular socks. Around 40 I prefer a pair of fleece pants and shirt and heavier socks. Below 40 I start adding mid-weight thermals beneath the fleece. Lately my feet have been my Achilles heel (so to speek)...got to find a better way to keep them warmer. Could mean some loose, heavy wool socks, could mean trying down...

YMMV

Steve D
    Always love hearing about others projects and experiences. Below 45 my feet got pretty chilly as well.

FLRider - Great advice, I really appreciate it! I'm just getting started on the research for my project.

Steve D - Thanks! I love my KAQ New River. I didn't get the APEX, and I'm kinda wishing I did.

I want to go down to 30 with base thermal clothes and into the 20s, if I need to, with more clothes. We'll see =/ It's not that cold that long here in the south...
    20's might be pushing it with just 1 layer but with correct clothing who knows.

The coldest I took it was at the Spring NEHHA 2012. No one had a thermometer so don't know the temp but it got pretty chilly.
    Fry: "I can't swallow that!"
    Farnsworth: "Well then, good news! It's a suppository."

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarack View Post
    20's might be pushing it with just 1 layer but with correct clothing who knows.

The coldest I took it was at the Spring NEHHA 2012. No one had a thermometer so don't know the temp but it got pretty chilly.
    Low 20s was definitely pushing it for me. Been there a few times. Was wearing three layers I think. I wasn't warm but wasn't quite cool enough to be completely uncomfortable...except my feet...especially after my usual 6:00 a.m. trip to go water the bushes.

Considering we just don't have that many nights that are much below freezing, I'm a happy camper with my Apex 5.0 quilts.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR, need a TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Great Advice!!

While you guys are on the line, I'd like to run this by you. (maybe this should start a new thread, sorry if I'm hijacking this one... I'm a noob)

On my first cold car camping trip, I wrapped my 30* big and tall coleman around my hammock and kept very warm in the mid/high 30s. It's way too heavy for backpacking, but I was wondering about doing the same thing with a DIY APEX 5.0. I've seen the Spear Peapod, and it's really the closest thing that I can find. I also bought a Grand Trunks Hammock Sleeping bag, but that was WAY too small and got returned after a week. I've been searching the forums for 30 minutes or so, but don't really see this type of insulation. What do you guys think about taking the APEX 5.0 that would be used for the top and bottom quilt, sewing/attaching them together, and making a sock type setup. I'm thinking drawstring on the footside and shock cord on the head side. I'm thinking 30* and about 40 ozs. Any ideas/comments?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Definitely sounds interesting...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl1.7/Equip 1-Person
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Great Advice!!

While you guys are on the line, I'd like to run this by you. (maybe this should start a new thread, sorry if I'm hijacking this one... I'm a noob)

On my first cold car camping trip, I wrapped my 30* big and tall coleman around my hammock and kept very warm in the mid/high 30s. It's way too heavy for backpacking, but I was wondering about doing the same thing with a DIY APEX 5.0. I've seen the Spear Peapod, and it's really the closest thing that I can find. I also bought a Grand Trunks Hammock Sleeping bag, but that was WAY too small and got returned after a week. I've been searching the forums for 30 minutes or so, but don't really see this type of insulation. What do you guys think about taking the APEX 5.0 that would be used for the top and bottom quilt, sewing/attaching them together, and making a sock type setup. I'm thinking drawstring on the footside and shock cord on the head side. I'm thinking 30* and about 40 ozs. Any ideas/comments?
    Very interesting idea. Can't see any reason why it would not work. Might not be the most packable system but very functional. Depending on your hammock I would think it would need to be larger than a UQ an TQ sewn together.

It is well worth exploring.

Maybe someone who has made a PeaPod will chime in...

If you decide to make it please let us know how it works out.
    Fry: "I can't swallow that!"
    Farnsworth: "Well then, good news! It's a suppository."

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    What do you guys think about taking the APEX 5.0 that would be used for the top and bottom quilt, sewing/attaching them together, and making a sock type setup.
    You're going to have to do some serious tapering or you'll have way too much bulk at the head and foot ends.

I"d get someone to help you. While you lay in the hammock, use a fabric tape measure to measure the needed circumference around the hammock every 6-12 inches from end to end. You'll need to remember that you have to leave a closeable opening along top to get in and out. It should work though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    looks very nice. I know you will use it well

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12