Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to the DIY crowd for cheap alternatives...

Hello!

Looking into making a hammock for my girlfriend for this summer... I own a HH bottom entry, but I don't think she'd like it as much... So I'm tempted to make her a gathered end hammock (I like the asym style of HH, but don't really know the benefit, it's just all I know!)with a ridgeline holding a nano-seeum "tube" off the girl, and then using one of the asym tarps I have for my hammock after I had converted my setup to a cattarp 2 from oware.

So... I'm looking for the cheapest option here, that'll provide her the normal level of comfort, down to around 40 degrees probably. I'm thinking probably a double layer, with the open cell pad, and an emergency blanket? But I'm pretty much just going on the wisps I had read about.

Thoughts? Fabrics, time spent, designs?

Hammock
    DIY Gear Supply pattern
    Tarp
    8x10 Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & slings
    As for the hammock, I highly recommend the plans and materials from www.diygearsupply.com.
    I've made a couple of double-layer hammocks from their plans. They're really comfortable.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    and that is a closed cell pad if you are going to put it between layers. CCF does not compress, OCF will go flat and lose it's insulation value. Who get's the Hennessy when the bugs are out? ;-)
    I would get 8 yards of ripstop and 30 ft of amsteel and start playing. Might want a bit more amsteel. If nothing else you will learn a lot about hammocks. You will also end up with something for cold weather when you do not need the bug net for a relatively low cost.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    +1 on the diygearsupply pattern. I made one a few weeks back and have found it very comfortable. Easy to get materials--low cost--satisfaction of doing your own thread injection--all positives.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    and that is a closed cell pad if you are going to put it between layers. CCF does not compress, OCF will go flat and lose it's insulation value. Who get's the Hennessy when the bugs are out? ;-)
    I would get 8 yards of ripstop and 30 ft of amsteel and start playing. Might want a bit more amsteel. If nothing else you will learn a lot about hammocks. You will also end up with something for cold weather when you do not need the bug net for a relatively low cost.
    ...actually, I've used used OCF (egg-crate style) between the layers down to about 34 degrees. I'd say you'll start feeling cool in the low 40's. It might not cut it with a topquilt, but if you've got a sleeping bag (especially synthetic) then you might get there. Add the space blanket under the pad and you'll gain a few degrees more.
    You are correct though, for guaranteed warmth, CCF will do the job and I definitely wouldn't recommend going below 40 with OCF.

Images
    I'll also give another +1 on diygearsupply. Good directions and good prices on ripstop. You can also check your Walmart for fabric. Many don't have it anymore, but you might get lucky. I've made all my gear from Walmart ripstop, and it's as low-cost as you'll get.

Checked out diygearsupply, and I'll probably order my materials from them.

I'll probably get the hennessy, but maybe not. depends on how much she trusts in my (non)expert sewing and putting-together skills! =D

So I suppose the next question is:
    Is there a preferred type of sewing machine, or will any work? Also... what's thread injection?

Thanks!
    Cody

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A sewing machine can offset a lot of savings if you have to buy one. Any machine will work as long as the machine works well to start with. Thread Injection is a buzz phrase developed several years ago when the DIY group was much smaller. It was used to make the process sound more manly and power tool based. It kind of stuck.

You might take a look at the Guidelines post in my sig. Some folks have found it helpful in assessing sewing machines. There's a huge amount of information on this board about the process of gear making. Also a huge group of folks ready to help troubleshoot and help solve problems.

Welcome to the dark side.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Listen to RamblinRev, watch his videos, build a few stuffsacks, and go for it! That's how I started. And yes, any machine that works will be fine. Ask family and friend's moms... there are lots of machines out there that haven't been used in 20 years... they're normally better than the new machines anyway.

If no-see-ums aren't a problem in your area, you can get a set of net curtains from Ikea for $7 that will make a nice bugnet with minimal sewing. (you wanted cheap, right?)

My local Joann's also has really wide mosquito netting for $3/yd. (it's white like the ikea curtains)

I've made several DL hammocks, and the OD green from DIY Gear supply is perfect.

Find the widest pad you can get. Forget the space blanket, she'll end up damp. Ideally, an UQ works great, and a $20 Poncho liner with $5 worth of shock cord and a couple cordlocks, and you have a 45-degree underquilt... Takes 30 minutes to make, and no sewing... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11777

Let us know how it works out!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Another +1 for diy gear supply - DL hammock plans and fabrics. I made a modified DL using those plans and the 1.1 2nds nylon. My favorite hammock . Took about 4 hours from start to finish (and I work slow...). 7-8 yards of fabric, some polyester thread and maybe some Amsteel for whoopies + webbing for tree straps = ~$40

Another inexpensive option is a Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock - ~$20 from Amazon. Still needs suspension, a little shorter than could be done DIY and not DL, but workable. Just depends on your time and inclination.

Also check out the Fronkey bug net or the HUG net, either can be easily made either from noseeum (more expensive and durable) or Tulle (cheaper and lighter). Personally I haven't used tulle, but seems to get good reviews from others here at HF.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast