WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks

New WBBB how to hang?

Not exactly sure where to post this, so I put it here.

Got my WBBB 1.7 SL last night. It was shoved in my mailbox over the weekend (USPS). I was out of town and check my email and saw it was delivered. I was excited to see it had arrived and couldn't wait to get home.

Out of the box it weighed 25.9 oz on my digital scale with the webbing suspension and stuff sack (the website claims 25 oz, probably not including the stuff sack, your mileage may very). There wasn't much else in the box, just a Warbonnet sticker and a cut slip of paper with some instructions in mice type. Brandon is obviously trying to save some trees

It has the new buckles, kind of like triangle climbing rings. They are pentagram shaped like a Home Plate. I think they are aluminum. They are light and feel like the lock up on the strap tight. They look supper easy to use for a noob like me; much easier than trying to figure out the figure 8 weave on the HH I tried a while back.

I was in the backyard for 20 min with my laptop trying to lash a HH up and get it adjusted. I didn’t have it right the first time and the lash suddenly slipped about 3” when I sat on the hammock, then locked back up. That feeling of being dropped really gets ya even if you don’t hit the ground! After figuring out where I went wrong, it worked just fine. I think with the webbing suspension it may take 2 min. to get the WBBB set up, if I am taking my time, and I won’t need to be running a tutorial on my laptop to get the hang correct. My laptop is much too heavy to pack on the trail.

Wednesday I am going to give it a try in the back yard! I don’t have an UQ yet, so I will be testing out one of my pads. I think I will start with my Therm-A-Rest Prolite Plus. Low temp for the night is forecast for 50° so I will use my MH Lamina 45 as my TQ. No tarp yet, so I will be under the stars with no rain in the forcast.

I was planning on ordering some Dutch Clips rather than using the climbing carabiner to save a little weight and neaten things up. I really like the idea of changing over to whoopie slings and using Dutch whoopie hooks, but am not sure if it would be worth it to go there. Any thoughts on this?

Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to put one end of the tree strap webbing through the loop on the other end of the tree strap and skip the Dutch clip/carabiner.

How much weight would I be saving by trading the wedding for the whoppie slings?

I can’t imagine it would be easier to use the whoopie slings over the webbing, am I correct?

Would it be okay to have the whoopie tied to the tree straps? Or should I use a Dutch Buckle? It seems like the whoopie would be hard on the tree strap.

Anything else I should take into consideration?

Hammock
    GT UL, WBBB1.7sl, Taveler1.7sl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4s
    Insulation
    Yeti 3s, UGQ Top
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice score! I Same as mine. First thing I did was to change out to six foot whoopie slings and I switched out the amsteel ridgeline for a dyneema one. After these mods my SL 1.7 weighs 20.1 oz in the stock bishop bag.. Enjoy your rig!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Mine is 20.5 oz but I didn't swap redgeline. I usually go with 5' whoopies, but this one has six footers.

both are weasily adjustable, but WS are certianly more compact.

Happy Hanging
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    So it looks like, for about 5 oz and a more compact suspension system to go with the whoppie slings.

How about the Dutch Clips and Buckles to hook it all together.

It looks like I may be able to save .5 oz or so by changing the ridge line, but that will be a lower priority.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I have dutch clips and buckles and they are all great. Only issue is that it all comes apart, so have to remember to get it all packed! I also had to get in the habit of a quick "tug" on the whoopie to make sure they grab good, then slowly apply weight. Or better yet, just tug on the hammock while adjusting the whoopie.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    After looking around the web and on the forum, I am thinking I should keep it simple and go with tree strap>whoopie sling>Whoopie hook>Amsteel loop>Hammock. That would let me go with shorter tree straps and very little hardware to worry about loosing in the woods. It also would be easy to adjust and if I needed, extend the reach of the tree straps.

Next, I am considering a continuous ridgeline for my future tarp. I'm thinking of using Tarp Flyz on Zing-it as that looks like a really easy way to get the tarp ridgeline up and adjusting the tarp along the ridgeline with Prusik Knots made of Zing-it. Do Prusik knots made from Zing-it hold well on on Zing-it? For my tarp guy lines, zing it with Prusik knot or should I put some Tarp Flyz on the guy lines too?

While I am at it, I am also considering lightening up the ridgeline on the hammock with Dyneema.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I gave my adjustable webbing to my wife to use.

Whoopies and a marlin spike were easier for me. Easier to get the proper sag and easier to hang the tree huggers on the tree using both hands.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I was planning on ordering some Dutch Clips rather than using the climbing carabiner to save a little weight and neaten things up. I really like the idea of changing over to whoopie slings and using Dutch whoopie hooks, but am not sure if it would be worth it to go there. Any thoughts on this?

Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to put one end of the tree strap webbing through the loop on the other end of the tree strap and skip the Dutch clip/carabiner.
    How about one of the Dutch Whoopie Hook set ups to make running a strap through the looped end easier and do without other gear?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    How about one of the Dutch Whoopie Hook set ups to make running a strap through the looped end easier and do without other gear?
    I think that is a great idea as I am trying to keep my suspension setup as simple and adjustable as possible as well as as light as I can.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I think that is a great idea as I am trying to keep my suspension setup as simple and adjustable as possible as well as as light as I can.
    Me too on the great idea...'cause if it ain't Dutch it ain't much! The idea is all Dutch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast