Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The fabric I have that would like to use is 44" wide. This is obviously much narrower than the directions call for. I assume this narrower width would cause some serious squeeze in either one or both mode. Does any one have any speculation as to the feasibility of adding fabric to the side via flat-felt seams too arrive at the appropriate width? I have the material to do it... but not much more than that. Should I add to just one side, alternate the side I add to on the inner and outer body or split the addition on both dies of the body on each layer?

I recognize there might not be any previous knowledge for this question... The fabric was out of the $1 bin so it would not be devastating loss if it didn't work. But I hate to waste the nergy and potentially the fabric.
    Hidden in the fine print is the confession that when I made the DMB, I cut the inner body into three pieces, and the outer body into three pieces. For a body there was a "wide" piece that made up the portion of the body belong the flat-felled seam. The other two pieces were the bits that lay above it.

The wide piece is less than 44". So indeed the flat-felled seam technique to make the body wider will work---has worked for me.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    The fabric I have that would like to use is 44" wide. This is obviously much narrower than the directions call for. I assume this narrower width would cause some serious squeeze in either one or both mode. Does any one have any speculation as to the feasibility of adding fabric to the side via flat-felt seams too arrive at the appropriate width? I have the material to do it... but not much more than that. Should I add to just one side, alternate the side I add to on the inner and outer body or split the addition on both dies of the body on each layer?

I recognize there might not be any previous knowledge for this question... The fabric was out of the $1 bin so it would not be devastating loss if it didn't work. But I hate to waste the nergy and potentially the fabric.
    The last bridge that I made was made of narrower fabric. I used flat feld seams to add fabric to both sides. When the body was cut the seams are only on the ends where the loads are not at heavy as in the middle of the hammock. I have not had any problems with early testing.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    ok... live and learn I guess....... Here is the deal,,, not really a problem I don't think but I want to know what to expect if there is any speculation on the situation.

My "short sides were indeed short... and I now have about 42" between the seams instead of the models 35". My personal response to the difference is "It's my hammock... I'll do what I want..." But at the same token... what is this going to do down the line for proper lay and spreader bars? Any ideas....? or did I make my hammock,,, now I have to lie in it?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    ok... live and learn I guess....... Here is the deal,,, not really a problem I don't think but I want to know what to expect if there is any speculation on the situation.

My "short sides were indeed short... and I now have about 42" between the seams instead of the models 35". My personal response to the difference is "It's my hammock... I'll do what I want..." But at the same token... what is this going to do down the line for proper lay and spreader bars? Any ideas....? or did I make my hammock,,, now I have to lie in it?
    One thing it means is a higher middle of the hammock. Blocks more of what you can see outside [for me not an issue], may make it harder to get out because you have to lift your legs out higher---the sides are under tension. Then there is the height of the of the suspension curve...it can't drop below the seam, so if it was a 6" deep cut that will make the width of the hammock at head and foot around 44+12 = 56. That's OK. It does mean that to get an equivalent amount of "spread" you need slightly longer spreader bars, but I'd suggest you just try out 34" and 36" lengths and see how it feels.

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Rotten fabric and cheap plastic sucks.... Hang 'em low...when testing. hehehe.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Grizz I am having a problem with your directions as I printed them off. I need to check some figures and have you tell me where I went wrong. The inner body are cut @57" wide outer .5" bigger. It loses .75" on each side for the hem, bringing the width down to 51" for the ineer body and 51.5" for the outer. (There seems to be a discrepancy there between the hem loss and the final dimension.)

Working from the _cut_ demension the folded short sides for the ineer body are 8" So 57 - 1.5 - 16 = 39.5"Working from the hemmed width of 51" - 16" = 35"

Your figures are consistent with the 51" hemmed width, but did I do something wrong with the original cut width? How did you go from 57" to 51" . That would seem to be a 3" hem loss on each side. Either very wide hems, or very thick hem ridge when finished. I is corn-fus-ed. Help me out please.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Grizz I am having a problem with your directions as I printed them off. I need to check some figures and have you tell me where I went wrong. The inner body are cut @57" wide outer .5" bigger. It loses .75" on each side for the hem, bringing the width down to 51" for the ineer body and 51.5" for the outer. (There seems to be a discrepancy there between the hem loss and the final dimension.)

Working from the _cut_ demension the folded short sides for the ineer body are 8" So 57 - 1.5 - 16 = 39.5"Working from the hemmed width of 51" - 16" = 35"

Your figures are consistent with the 51" hemmed width, but did I do something wrong with the original cut width? How did you go from 57" to 51" . That would seem to be a 3" hem loss on each side. Either very wide hems, or very thick hem ridge when finished. I is corn-fus-ed. Help me out please.
    are you taking account of the width loss due to the flat-felled seam between upper and lower portions of the body? There's 3" lost in each, if memory serves (and maybe instructions say or imply), which would account for the gap in your figures.

can't really check it right now, I'm in the middle of meeting where I need to look like I'm paying attention....

Grizz

the recent thread about the tentwing makes me wonder about a half and half - bridge the shoulder end but don't bridge the foot end (or still a bridge, but the foot end designed to not use a spreader bar). could even encorporate a HH style entrance on the foot end and still have the comfort of a bridge.

might be worth a try.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    the recent thread about the tentwing makes me wonder about a half and half - bridge the shoulder end but don't bridge the foot end (or still a bridge, but the foot end designed to not use a spreader bar). could even encorporate a HH style entrance on the foot end and still have the comfort of a bridge.

might be worth a try.
    yep, has occurred to me also. Haven't had the DMB out for a while to try though. I've got some hanging time coming up...later...

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Successful hammock test.....

I am working on a DMB now and took it sewn but unwhipped with no bug net and hung it in the back yard. It is so wonderful to have a place to play without leaving home.

Well the long and short of it is... I put a self inflatible between the layers and fell asleep. I would say that was a successful hammock test.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast