Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Ohhhh.....that sounds cool grizz.....
    As it is now, there does seem to be a bit of extra material with the fabric width the same. This causes the feet to want to be together.
    So doing as you suggested you get that extra material out of the way and same 'feel' for spread. Nice idea!
    Is your prototype still floating around in your head or has it been sewn?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Ohhhh.....that sounds cool grizz.....
    As it is now, there does seem to be a bit of extra material with the fabric width the same. This causes the feet to want to be together.
    So doing as you suggested you get that extra material out of the way and same 'feel' for spread. Nice idea!
    Is your prototype still floating around in your head or has it been sewn?
    It's sewn. I figured I'd wait until I had at least slept in it one night and finished up some other details before doing a photo shoot. Need to get started on the "Patented Hammock" contest as well...and then there's the day job...

Grizz

Images
    Well I can say (for me) 18" foot end was just fine.
    This is on my 'latest' model of bridge (circa july 07), yea I'm a little behind the times....
    I have a 40" head spreader and had a 30" footer on a 90" long bridge.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Hello members. Newbie here. I'v been hanging out here on this forum reading up on hammocks. I confess to having no experience what so ever with hammocks. This can be good or bad when it comes to designs. I'v gravatated towards a bridge style to try to make due to a old back injury and sleeping on my side some what. So my concern would be side squeeze. The idea of the bridge is to reduce this. But as Grizz stated in the opening that a limitation of the bridge is tarp coverage. I'v looked and couldn't find it anywhere so I hope I'm not bringing up something that has all ready tried.
    What if you made a tube,channel,sleeve or what ever you call it crosswise near the opening for the pad to insert choice of spreader bar. Inserted some cord or web in the structural seam to extend up to the convergence point for the upper two suspension lines. These would be tensioned some but leaving the upper main lines with most of the stress. Lowering the spreader bars would allow the top to pull in reducing the tarp problem and still keep the bottom portion spread out. Am I way off in this thought.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    What if you made a tube,channel,sleeve or what ever you call it crosswise near the opening for the pad to insert choice of spreader bar. Inserted some cord or web in the structural seam to extend up to the convergence point for the upper two suspension lines. These would be tensioned some but leaving the upper main lines with most of the stress. Lowering the spreader bars would allow the top to pull in reducing the tarp problem and still keep the bottom portion spread out. Am I way off in this thought.
    Welcome tasthree.

Believe I tried something like what you describe

There are some more pictures in the gallery, and a posting or two in the late August / early September 2007 time frame, in the bridge hammock thread.

The chief problem I encountered was that it is very very delicate trying to balance the load carried on the bottom suspension and the load carried above. Very delicate. Did I mention that it was very delicate?

Most of the time either the load was carried above, in which case there was not enough tension below to give me spread, or the load was carried below, in which case what I had was a narrow flat bridge hammock that was particularly hard to get in to or out of.

The whole experience did lead me to prefer designs with considerably less width (on the order of 50") than what I originally started with (full roll width).

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Grizz. Thanks for the reply. May I take this time to say mighty fine work you have done. I read thru about the first 10 pgs some inbetween and about the last 10 pages of that thread. Its one of the longest I think I'v ever seen. Its kind of funny that I was following your work. Then I watched one of your vids and you look like you could be a slightly older brother. Same build,style of glasses,gotee,hat. Wife thought it was funny. Anyhow I digress.
    Are the pistures you refered to dated 9-2-07. If so I was thinking of having the spreader bars inserted into a full lenght side to side sleeve sewn into the endcaps of the body near the bottom where you would want the spread. If the bars were in a sleeve wouldn't it force the fabric to stay flat. In your pictures I referenced the fabric was hanging loose. Then if you had the cord exit the structural seam so you could allow the cord to rest in a grove on the bottom side of each end of the support bar before continuing the cord up to where the top suspension lines connect at the bottom of the v. For example at the bottom of my telescoping walking stick when I bring in my bottom section there is a 1/8" lip created due to the different tube sizes below the plastic tightener thingy. On the top below the grip about 1/2" I allready had some emergency duct tape rolled around it to about 1/8" thick essentially making a grove between the duct tape and the grip. So the structural cords would ride in these groves on both ends.If you set them with slight tension on these cords unloaded. When you did get in hammock the weight would pull the cords tighter into these groves keeping the bottom fabric on the body from pulling inwards preventing the droop or keeping the spread at the bottom. This setup would still allow the top to pull inwards reducing the spread.Thus reducing the width of the apex on the top of the tarp. I think. Dosen't the weight of the sack determine the angle of dangle which determins the degree of the pee.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks for the interest.

Trying to imagine what you're describing. Doubt very much that I got it. But on that spreader bar...if you make it as long as the fabric is wide more or less, at the bottom of the hammock, than you get spread but lose the flatness (which depends on hanging in the trough). It ends up structurally like a backyard hammock with spreader bars, unless somehow the upper suspension can pull up the middle...that's the question.

I think with the rest of what you were saying you were imagining how to integrate the lower suspension with the upper. I think the load can be shared...the ways I was trying to do it weren't leading to a field solution.

But have at it man. It's loads of fun. There's lots of room here for new thinking, new experiments, new hammock science. Be the next guy to post to the Bridge thread!

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I'm not shure I'm being clear either. I wish I had a better computer and skills so I could post some drawings. After thinking about it some more. I don't know how much if any of a v would be at the top for the suspension lines. Also the lines going to the spreader bar could be looped around the bar and act as guy lines on each side for the body. My problems are that I've never sewn anything like this, I need two maybe three of them, need them for the begining of april, money and time are tight to do experiments. If I had the luxury I'd wait till the hangout in Hot Springs. I'm not all that far from there and may go over to have a look see. Are you going to be there. I do have a question as to why you cut the inner portion of the body into three pieces where your structural seam is instead of just sewing the outer bottom portion for the pad pocket onto one uncut piece for the body. The stress on the fabric or something. If I didn't cut the body into three pieces but left it as one piece.Then rolled some cord or web into the pad pocket hem and sew that on. Would that act similar as your structral seam.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    [quote=tasthree;100932]...I need two maybe three of them, need them for the begining of april, money and time are tight to do experiments.
    [quote]
    two or three hammocks, or bridge hammocks, or, .... ?

If I had the luxury I'd wait till the hangout in Hot Springs. I'm not all that far from there and may go over to have a look see. Are you going to be there.
    I'd like to, but at this point it is looking unlikely. I have to get my son on the other side of Illinois by that Sunday night, which would mean leaving first thing in the a.m. on Sunday. 17 hours driving for a Saturday outing is a bit much...!

I do have a question as to why you cut the inner portion of the body into three pieces where your structural seam is instead of just sewing the outer bottom portion for the pad pocket onto one uncut piece for the body. The stress on the fabric or something. If I didn't cut the body into three pieces but left it as one piece.Then rolled some cord or web into the pad pocket hem and sew that on. Would that act similar as your structral seam.
    so you're talking about the dual mode hammock. ... you can roll a piece of webbing into the side of the main structural piece...a little tricky to get the curve right, but doable, and then sew an outer layer onto the webbing. You don't want to just sew an outer layer onto the main body, it's the wrong direction for stresses.

I did it the way I did because I wanted to be able to conceal the webbing support when in gathered end mode. Pretty much cosmetic I think.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    At least two bridges w net and tarps and maybe one standard for my 13 yr old daughter and just to hang in. Youngans can do with less.If all three of us camp we use a tent. Motherly instincts won't allow wife to be seperate from daughter at night. Can't see rountinely getting prop spaced trees to hang 3 hammocks close enough for the wife's comfort. So bridges are for wife and I when daughter stays with G parents. Forgot to ask if your camo tarp is silnylon. If so where did you get it. I like stelth. I also forgot that around 79-80 I had a couple of cheap net bodied hammocks. I would hang them from a roll bar to my bumper with a cooler in between in the back of my jacked up 4x4 truck parked backwards at the drive in movie . If I got up to go socialize or pee I'd usually come back to the ladies hanging out in them . They loved them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast