Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Neo's Death Trap

Neo, I tried your idea with the pad and windshield reflector. The temps went down to about 24*F. Wow, was it cold. I did get a little chilly, but not nearly as cold had I been using a UQ. For some reason the pads just tend to keep me much warmer.

It kept me warm, yes, however, when I woke up my back was wet and so was the bottom of the hammock. I believe this is from condensation from covering my head while sleeping. I don't recall having this issue while using a pad alone, without the reflector. It seems the pads are breathable or something. I've slept with my head covered many times without any dampness what so ever.

Come to think of it, I even had minor dampness issues while using a down UQ and a down OQ.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening and turning my bed into a death trap?

My first thought was to not cover my head, but I tend to get a lot cooler that way. Yes, I was wearing a hat. Maybe a baklava, and ski mask or something.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hack, you need a JRB Hood, not a thin fabric balaclava.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Neo, I tried your idea with the pad and windshield reflector. The temps went down to about 24*F. Wow, was it cold. I did get a little chilly, but not nearly as cold had I been using a UQ. For some reason the pads just tend to keep me much warmer.

It kept me warm, yes, however, when I woke up my back was wet and so was the bottom of the hammock. I believe this is from condensation from covering my head while sleeping. I don't recall having this issue while using a pad alone, without the reflector. It seems the pads are breathable or something. I've slept with my head covered many times without any dampness what so ever.

Come to think of it, I even had minor dampness issues while using a down UQ and a down OQ.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening and turning my bed into a death trap?

My first thought was to not cover my head, but I tend to get a lot cooler that way. Yes, I was wearing a hat. Maybe a baklava, and ski mask or something.
    Hacktorious,

The non breathable pads supplemented by the non breathable windshield screen are the root of the problem, as they trap the moisture put out by your body...

If you really believe you had some moisture with UQ/OQ, then you are also too warm.... BUT STILL while you may need to reduce your moisture emmitance (Vent or use a lighter TQ).... The root problem is the non breathable bath tub shaped trap of your pads.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hacktorious,

The non breathable pads supplemented by the non breathable windshield screen are the root of the problem, as they trap the moisture put out by your body...

If you really believe you had some moisture with UQ/OQ, then you are also too warm.... BUT STILL while you may need to reduce your moisture emmitance (Vent or use a lighter TQ).... The root problem is the non breathable bath tub shaped trap of your pads.

Pan
    Yea, but do you make a UQ in camo? I'd be using it and wouldn't be complaining so much if you did. lol
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Honestly, I'd settle for a camo weather shield to cover the UQ.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Honestly, I'd settle for a camo weather shield to cover the UQ.
    DDP is back in stock in green.... also sand.... Some blues are currently on back order.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Yea, but do you make a UQ in camo? I'd be using it and wouldn't be complaining so much if you did. lol
    You can get the UQs in olive drab.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    I know what you mean hacktorious,
    last nite when running my test camp, so to speak, I found even with a fleece balaclava on. My nose would get really cold. So to battle this I would pull the covers over my head which worked out to be pretty good. didn't have any moister problems at all other than back sweating a little bit. But thats probably because I had 2 half inch thick walmart pads under me. It got down to 28 degrees here with wind making it feel like 24 degrees.

good luck with your trials.

TY

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFER View Post
    I know what you mean hacktorious,
    last nite when running my test camp, so to speak, I found even with a fleece balaclava on. My nose would get really cold. So to battle this I would pull the covers over my head which worked out to be pretty good. didn't have any moister problems at all other than back sweating a little bit. But thats probably because I had 2 half inch thick walmart pads under me. It got down to 28 degrees here with wind making it feel like 24 degrees.

good luck with your trials.

TY
    That sounds pretty good. Tonight I am going to try a double quilt setup. I could live with a dark green weather shield like the one Peter Pan mentioned. I will likely buy one when I get my next paycheck. That may solve all my issues. It will give me the extra warmth and blend into the surroundings.

I don't like my gear to stand out like a soar thumb, especially when I am away from my camp. If I am out in the woods I don't want to risk someone walking off with my stuff. So I figure hiding is my best option.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    That sounds pretty good. Tonight I am going to try a double quilt setup. I could live with a dark green weather shield like the one Peter Pan mentioned. I will likely buy one when I get my next paycheck. That may solve all my issues. It will give me the extra warmth and blend into the surroundings.

I don't like my gear to stand out like a soar thumb, especially when I am away from my camp. If I am out in the woods I don't want to risk someone walking off with my stuff. So I figure hiding is my best option.
    I hear ya there!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast