Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I received my tarp today. Set it up, but with difficulty, as this was the first time ever. Although it is square, there are no tie outs on the ridgeline (for a square). The sewn ridge line is on a diagonal, with extra material and reinforcement on two corners. To what would I tie off at the trees, or run my line through for an RL?
    Also, I'd like opinions on the guy lines. It comes with a tube stuff sac, stakes and lines.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    I received my tarp today. Set it up, but with difficulty, as this was the first time ever. Although it is square, there are no tie outs on the ridgeline (for a square). The sewn ridge line is on a diagonal, with extra material and reinforcement on two corners. To what would I tie off at the trees, or run my line through for an RL?
    Also, I'd like opinions on the guy lines. It comes with a tube stuff sac, stakes and lines.
    Many people add ridgeline tie outs to the middle of two opposite sides to be able to pitch the tarp in a square A-Frame style.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    You have to add/sew on loops in the center for a square pitch. I am thinking of ordering one. I already have one and it's a great tarp. I added the tie out loops so I could pitch it square.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    So it's intended to be set up diagonally?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    First, there are more tie-outs in the seller's photo than in the illustration of use that was attached here later.

Second, as per the title: You want a longer ridgeline? Find one of the several diagonals available. I first thought this wouldn't be practical without sewing tie-outs, because the attachment illustration doesn't show them at the corners. So, I looked at the corners of the photo. Tie outs are already there.

So, it seems that if asymmetry won't spoil your experience, these are quite the thing.
    I'm trying to picture it, but it sounds intriguing, assuming an even lay. I would prefer not to start sewing. Did enough of that as a kid.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers

diamond

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    You can use the tarp in a diamond layout as is with out adding anymore tieouts. Lots of coverage.

The stuff bag is too long and skinny to be practical. I tossed it and use a custom made stuff bag. Makes a great tarp for car camping. Too heavy for backpacking.

These tarps only seen to be available once a year.

Couple of pictures of the tarp with a BB under it. 3rd picture is of a Gear Guide Tarp, Mosquito Hammocks Camo Tarps and a Warbonnet BMH tarp for comparison.
    So you found the diamond very workable? And the seam is perpindicular to the RL?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    So it's intended to be set up diagonally?
    That was the big talk in this thread...about how center tie outs and reinforcement needed added. Still can't beat the money for have to do a little work yourself....then run your tarp line under your tarp rather than above it so that you don't have to add a bunch more tie outs. You can go the diagonal, but it's like 16'. That's more than I want to deal with on my tree spacing. You can put up off center with one side dropping down longer and then you have a really nice porch mode on one side when you want it.

I just wish mine would get here so I could play with it, and then I'd possibly of more help after some hands on tarp touching

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    That was the big talk in this thread...about how center tie outs and reinforcement needed added. Still can't beat the money for have to do a little work yourself....then run your tarp line under your tarp rather than above it so that you don't have to add a bunch more tie outs. You can go the diagonal, but it's like 16'. That's more than I want to deal with on my tree spacing. You can put up off center with one side dropping down longer and then you have a really nice porch mode on one side when you want it.

I just wish mine would get here so I could play with it, and then I'd possibly of more help after some hands on tarp touching
    Sorry, I did neglect to go back and read some of the entries, but I have now! I'm going to try the asym and see how it sets up, and maybe the diamond too.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp is a 10 x 10 and about the only way to deploy it is in a diamond with a 14 foot ridgeline, which is a pain in the butt. You'll know what "the wind beneath my wings" means when a 20-40 mph wind gets under that tarp. I eventually made Tyvek Grizz Beaks just to stay warm and dry.

I only paid $29 for the Funky Forest Tarp, and I've gotten real mileage out of it. However, I feel the Guide Gear is an absolute upgrade since I can deploy it in A frame with doors for 4 season camping.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Really looking forward to getting mine in the mail soon. I should be getting mine next Wednesday (21st), just in time for my trip to test it out

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast