Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Sweet, I'm planning on ordering this tarp Friday. Right now I just have a camo tarp like they sell at Walmart. Guess I will have to order a stuff sack for it too.
    The Chinook sack is very nice, but I had this bag lying around from a first attempt at a hammock stuff sack. Here is a pic of the replacement I made. Virtually the same, I just made the drawstring channels better on this one. I have my hammock stuffed in it and the tree straps in the smaller pocket. I have converted to Whoopies since his picture was made but I still use it the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I have gotten all 3 of my true 11.5 x 11.5 Guide Gear Tarps. I like them a lot!! Today I finished up adding some reinforcing stitches to the existing tie outs, I added center tie outs to them all, and seam sealed them. For about an hour of time spent on each tarp, I'm very pleased, and it wasn't hard at all. For the money and some time I was able to take care of all 3 of us and I would not have been able to do that with any other tarp price at this time.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Long time, first time. I've learned so much here and I really appreciate everything you guys do.

I ordered one of the 11'x11' (works best with my hammock setup) and one of the 8.5x8.5 (for camp kitchen/secondary shelter). I plan to do a full review (either with pics or video) of both tarps, in detail. That said, my question is: how long does it take for Sportsman's Guide to actually get you your products? Maybe Amazon has spoiled me but for ~$9 shipping through UPS I expect pretty prompt delivery. It's been three days and the UPS site is still saying "label generated and waiting for product to arrive." Any idea how much longer I am going to have to wait?

Part of me wishes I didn't succumb to the Buyer's Club offer but it suckered me with free shipping and two $10 coupons. I also thought it meant free shipping on everything which, apparently, is not true.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can opt-out of the Buyer's club at any time, and get a full refund (minus the discounts you've already used)

Too bad about the whole sizing issue!

SG is a Minnesota company and it pains me a LOT to see this kind of stuff swirling around this whole issue. I'd tried to order one of the old white tarps based on the strong recommendations I'd read on this site late last yr, only to be told they were out and to watch their site for changes. Those changes resulted in the re-introduction of these different tarps.
    When I saw they were again available (here on HF) I immediately order one of each size and then returned back here to the HF site to read more of the reviews. I didn't realize that there were 42 PAGES at the time until I looked a little harder. I immediately went back to my order confirmation and cancelled my order, as I looking for a larger "winter use tarp" and the new, corrected diagonal measurements weren't going to suit my needs. So I ordered a Chinook 12 x 14 tarp from a different company.

I just finished writing SG Customer Service an E-mail with a link to this 50 plus pages of conversation, mostly negative about their misleading specs and their diagonal measurements. I also suggested that they consider re-introducing what was the white tarps of the past. I hope their CS department and management is smart enough receive the input here on their business and correct it. I also shared in my note to them that I'd just received their catalog by mail and that based on this episode I didn't know if I could trust the specs on the things that were written in that catalog.

I'm glad that those of you that actually received your 11 x 11 tarps are happy with the Price/quality equation. It's also too bad they don't offer their Emergency Shelter without all of the poles, etc.. That might get what appears to be a nice Cat Cut tarp down under the $30 range.

As a mostly single trip portager BWCAW tripper I try to "watch my weight" but I simply am unwilling to spend $100+ on a tarp when I can get one for less than half of that that will work. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences here, so the rest of us can learn from them@
    4 dog
    Last edited by 4 dog knight; 04-21-2012 at 21:21. Reason: Grammatical errors

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I did the same thing.. seen the great deal on this tarp, Jumped on Bought one. Then reading more info on this site. Seen, the Tarp was not as listed.

Sent e-mail to SG, indicating that tarp is not listed correctly, and to cancel my order.

Now, I paid $29.45 for it.. they billed me for it, then Refunded me $19.97. But Now, the remaining Cost??. being billed for something that Was canceled and not even shipped. WHY?.
    They sure are not making any good points with Customers, so far.

But, have kelty Tarps on order 9 x 9 & a 12 x 12. From Cabela's ( back ordered, drats ). For .01 shipping Bought two.. At Least Cabela's sells quality, Hammocks, are addicting...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A friendly Nor'easter came to NJ today so I hung the Guide Gear 16 x 16 to give it a test in the rain. The Guide Gear tarp failed the test with flying colors. I wouldn't take this tarp out in the rain for love nor money.

When I first got the tarp, I hung it under the ridgeline but it was too saggy, so I switched the tarp to hang over the ridgeline. In today's storm, water came through the tarp where it rubbed against the ridgeline. This happened about three inches on each side, along the the full length of the ridgeline.

I put on my rain gear and switched the tarp to hang under the ridgeline. The tarp won't hang right, and sagged on the hammock ridgeline. Maybe if I hung the tarp higher, it might not rub on the hammock ridgeline.

Talk about a ripoff - this tarp doesn't have 1,000 mm polyurethane water coating, from what I can tell. It definitely doesn't have factory-taped seams, as advertised. And to top it all off, it leaks like a sieve (but not at the seams that I had to seal).

I thought I had picked up a decent winter/foul weather tarp with doors. Instead, I just wasted $29.97.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-22-2012 at 22:19.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One positive note: after I removed the hammock ridgeline, I toweled off the inside of the tarp along the ridgeline. It's now leaking much less now that nothing is rubbing against it. The water flows pretty much down the sides of the tarp so you don't get all that wet.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ...The water flows pretty much down the sides of the tarp so you don't get all that wet.
    ........now there's a recommendation if I ever heard one. I'll take two please.

You did leave out the best part though...you get all of this for only $10 more then last year. Wow! Only a 50% increase in cost for the built in shower feature. What more could a camper ask for?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There's a more famous bang-for buck tarp --ie big, white, and printed -- about which:

There are serious isssues of variablity in quality, or
    Lots of owners are in denial about, or
    People don't actually get out in the rain, or
    People have buried in the depths of the gear closet,
    Because:

I read a letter from the maker / distributor which answered complaints about serious leaking saying the tarp was marketed as a sun-shield, not protection from rain.

Love being out under my dry Clark rain-fly tonite in that 'noreaster. (Up now, because the soothing rain paused.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast