Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea with a "TTTG Switchback" is. Who makes it? Got a link to the company? A photo? Anything?

Rain Man

TTTG is Tree to Tree Trail Gear

The Switchback is one of their hammocks

It's owned/operated by forum members Darby and SmithOBX (They bought out Ed Speer and also have Macentyre doing some R&D for them).

The vendor forum is here.
    Last edited by Hetairoi; 03-16-2012 at 12:12. Reason: d'oh
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I don't know if it's just me, but when a vendor sells what appears to be a typical gathered end hammock I guess I need them to explain what (if any) features make it truly unique. Otherwise a $15 GTUL seems to make more sense than a $150+ version of what seems to be just about the same thing. I see this a lot. The Snipe for example, I didn't look at it's page on their site more than once because I didn't see what was different about it. It wasn't until Shug's review video that I saw what made the hammock unique. I still haven't found the hammock for me I suppose and it would surely help if there was clearer info out there.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    I have a similar list of try-outs but I settled on a DD.
    I started with a DD, so maybe I will luck out?

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    I don't know if it's just me, but when a vendor sells what appears to be a typical gathered end hammock I guess I need them to explain what (if any) features make it truly unique. Otherwise a $15 GTUL seems to make more sense than a $150+ version of what seems to be just about the same thing. I see this a lot. The Snipe for example, I didn't look at it's page on their site more than once because I didn't see what was different about it. It wasn't until Shug's review video that I saw what made the hammock unique. I still haven't found the hammock for me I suppose and it would surely help if there was clearer info out there.
    I agree that there are many that don't seem to be very different (I honestly can't see anything but the name different between ENO and Treklight).

However, there are plenty of videos and threads discussing the differences in just about all the hammocks available, including the Switchback. One of the greatest benefits to attending the group 'hangouts' is the ability to try out and view many different styles of hammocks without having to purchase.

The switchback does have a few things that differentiate it from others such as the style of netting, sewn in pockets on both ends and loops sewn into the channel on each end to hang a peak bag or similar from. There are other things that make it different and many are listed on the manufactures site under the 'detailed description' for each product.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    I'll go out on a limb about the SB and say it's the geometry + the other features that make it stand out. It truly is one of those that doesn't shine nearly as brightly as some... until you lie in it.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea with a "TTTG Switchback" is. Who makes it? Got a link to the company? A photo? Anything?

Rain Man
    Rain Man: I have the very same hammock Rip showed in this video (bought his) with a couple little aesthetic mods:
    LINK to Rips YouTube video

Hope that helps.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Otherwise a $15 GTUL seems to make more sense than a $150+ version of what seems to be just about the same thing. I still haven't found the hammock for me I suppose and it would surely help if there was clearer info out there.
    Rook, to start with, most of this stuff is made in the good ol' USA by locals. The cost of labor in China or Malaysia is a lot cheaper. Add to that the cost of materials, equipment & a little profit thrown in & you'll have to spend more money.

The Switchback has double zippers - one down each side. You can see out of it about twice as much as with a WBBB. It has a cavernous bug net with loops sewn across the bug netting on each end. You put a stick or an actual bar in there and it holds it open much more. 4 tie outs and a double thick bottom. Decender rings as part of the suspension - actually purchased by Darby from a mountaineering company. The list goes on.

Theres a photo of a SB 1.1d in blue in my gallery. I didn't have any sticks in the bugnet, but you can see the grossgrain across the end of the bugnet. The orange shockcord comes with it.

I've never seen a DD; however, from photos they look similar.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Owned three, sold one, one DIY... It's a lovely addiction.

WBBB 1.7 DL, HHDJ & SB1.7DL...WBBB...and Bridge for those wondering.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    For me and my money the Switchback is the easy winner.
    Well said. I don't know what Dale does, or how he does it, but SwitchBack is just always right. I've got three different SBs - 1.1 dbl classic SB, Light Hiker, and 1.9 sl netless SB. They are all comfortable, but my favorite is the shorter Light Hiker. Can't explain it.

The only hammock that I've tried that comes close is a simple 11' length gathered end. SmokeHouse makes one, and I've got a WL Lite Owl. It requires a little more fiddle factor to get right, but it's comfy when it's done right.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    However, there are plenty of videos and threads discussing the differences in just about all the hammocks available, including the Switchback. One of the greatest benefits to attending the group 'hangouts' is the ability to try out and view many different styles of hammocks without having to purchase.
    There are other things that make it different and many are listed on the manufactures site under the 'detailed description' for each product.
    I know the info exists if you search HF hard enough, and I've gone to MAHHA every time they've held one since I found out about them, but I was just talking about the websites and making a better effort to show (with photo or video) what makes the product unique.

Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Rook, to start with, most of this stuff is made in the good ol' USA by locals. The cost of labor in China or Malaysia is a lot cheaper. Add to that the cost of materials, equipment & a little profit thrown in & you'll have to spend more money.

The Switchback has double zippers - one down each side. You can see out of it about twice as much as with a WBBB. It has a cavernous bug net with loops sewn across the bug netting on each end. You put a stick or an actual bar in there and it holds it open much more. 4 tie outs and a double thick bottom. Decender rings as part of the suspension - actually purchased by Darby from a mountaineering company. The list goes on.

Theres a photo of a SB 1.1d in blue in my gallery. I didn't have any sticks in the bugnet, but you can see the grossgrain across the end of the bugnet. The orange shockcord comes with it.

I've never seen a DD; however, from photos they look similar.
    I was just talking about the standard asym gathered end. Not the bug net models.

It seems like the difference in the standard asym gathered hammocks is primarily in dimensions and type of fabric used, and in really small features like an extra tie-out. I just don't see the $50-$150 difference from a $20 GT or Eno hammock (and enos are made in the USA).
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast