Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Ok, Cave.. I hear your toe tapping! ::laughing::

Here's the report!

We left the heatwave in Portland and retreated to the Coast for the weekend. Joe has a couple of lots within walking distance from the beach. We have to keep the blackberries cut back there and they have some nice trees for hanging.. so we decided to try our hammocks here for the first time. The first photo is of the place we worked and hung out.

If you look in the middle of the photo there is a nice pine tree and to the left of that is a trail going down into the forest. We hung out down about 20 feet from that tree.

Joe got his Clark set up for the first time in about 10 minutes. I was amazed how quickly he did it. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get my Speers adjusted correctly because it was hung on a grade and either my feet were in the air or my butt slid down. Seemed I just couldn't get settled. Finally I got it adjusted and we worked the rest of the day.

The first night, Joe slept in the Clark and I slept in the Speers. I have Speers' UQ so I was toasty, but the bugnet really "bugged" me because it was so close to my face. Then after a while, I kept waking myself up gasping for air and finally figured it was because my body was too head-down and too much pressure was on my lungs. So I flipped around (not easy in the Speers) and then spent an hour with my butt sliding. I finally got up in the dark, adjusted one end of the thing, and managed to sleep the rest of the night.

Joe slept like a baby in his Clark all through my troubles. He had clothes stuffed into the pockets. He did have his therma-rest and said it was real comfie. I'd say the temperature was in the high 40's that night.

Next night, we switched and I slept in the Clark. Oh my gosh! I can't tell you what a good night's sleep I got! It was amazing! So much room. I could sit up and turn side to side. I just loved it! The bugnet is held WAY up off your face. I could literally sit up inside. That thing RAWKS!

I had gone to Wallyworld earlier and picked up their $5.95 blue pad. I cut it and made one of those winged pads. I made the cover from green cotton flannel and just handsewed it. I'll stitch it by machine this week, but it worked great! I did put an old wool blanket under my feet, but I was toasty and warm all night and that night got down into the wee 40's.

Joe, on the other hand, fought with my Speers much of the night and ended up sleeping in the car. Neither of us could get it adjusted. I'm sure it'd be fine on flat ground or if a person had more experience. But for both of us, the Clark was the cadillac and we were very happy with it all the way around.

The take-down went easy as pie. It never touched the ground and was stuffed into a small football sized bundle.

I'm sold on Clark Hammocks!
    I'm ordering one this week and that's my hammock now.
    You can't talk me out of it.

Thanks to you, Cave-diver... your persistence and kind help was really what convinced us. That, along with your great video!
    YAY!
    We got CLARKS!

(Ok.. the photos did not post.. I'll try again)
    Excellent trip report! You need to change your profile hammock to a Clark now. Welcome to the Clark side!

I have never had a bad sleep in my Clark! And I feel your pain about waking up in the middle of the night to adjust - I slept out in my JRB BMB the last two nights, and the first night I must have woken up 20 times due to the hammock just not feeling right. Usually, it was because it had stretched and my butt was on the ground, but I just didn't sleep well in it at all. It was comfortable to start with, but.....

I like my other hammocks, but more and more I keep going back to the comfort and warmth and simplicity of my Clark. I'll keep trying different hammocks, though. It never hurts to have a spare - especially if it is inexpensive.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Yup

I changed my profile and we ordered another Clark today.
    So now we each have one.
    I'm so stoked!

But gosh, it took 3 tries to find the one I liked best.
    I can see the good points (and the bad) in each of the great hammocks I tried. I can also see why it's really a personal choice, when you get down to it.

Me... I'm a Clark person now.... and happy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I changed my profile and we ordered another Clark today.
    So now we each have one.
    I'm so stoked!

But gosh, it took 3 tries to find the one I liked best.
    I can see the good points (and the bad) in each of the great hammocks I tried. I can also see why it's really a personal choice, when you get down to it.

Me... I'm a Clark person now.... and happy
    3 tries you say.....it only took me about 7 or 8 hammocks.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    3 tries you say.....it only took me about 7 or 8 hammocks.
    Aren't you still browsing/window shopping? I don't think it ever stops.

BTW, I love the new avatar!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12