Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Annie's First Clark Hang

Ok, Cave.. I hear your toe tapping! ::laughing::

Here's the report!

We left the heatwave in Portland and retreated to the Coast for the weekend. Joe has a couple of lots within walking distance from the beach. We have to keep the blackberries cut back there and they have some nice trees for hanging.. so we decided to try our hammocks here for the first time. The first photo is of the place we worked and hung out.

If you look in the middle of the photo there is a nice pine tree and to the left of that is a trail going down into the forest. We hung out down about 20 feet from that tree.

Joe got his Clark set up for the first time in about 10 minutes. I was amazed how quickly he did it. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get my Speers adjusted correctly because it was hung on a grade and either my feet were in the air or my butt slid down. Seemed I just couldn't get settled. Finally I got it adjusted and we worked the rest of the day.

The first night, Joe slept in the Clark and I slept in the Speers. I have Speers' UQ so I was toasty, but the bugnet really "bugged" me because it was so close to my face. Then after a while, I kept waking myself up gasping for air and finally figured it was because my body was too head-down and too much pressure was on my lungs. So I flipped around (not easy in the Speers) and then spent an hour with my butt sliding. I finally got up in the dark, adjusted one end of the thing, and managed to sleep the rest of the night.

Joe slept like a baby in his Clark all through my troubles. He had clothes stuffed into the pockets. He did have his therma-rest and said it was real comfie. I'd say the temperature was in the high 40's that night.

Next night, we switched and I slept in the Clark. Oh my gosh! I can't tell you what a good night's sleep I got! It was amazing! So much room. I could sit up and turn side to side. I just loved it! The bugnet is held WAY up off your face. I could literally sit up inside. That thing RAWKS!

I had gone to Wallyworld earlier and picked up their $5.95 blue pad. I cut it and made one of those winged pads. I made the cover from green cotton flannel and just handsewed it. I'll stitch it by machine this week, but it worked great! I did put an old wool blanket under my feet, but I was toasty and warm all night and that night got down into the wee 40's.

Joe, on the other hand, fought with my Speers much of the night and ended up sleeping in the car. Neither of us could get it adjusted. I'm sure it'd be fine on flat ground or if a person had more experience. But for both of us, the Clark was the cadillac and we were very happy with it all the way around.

The take-down went easy as pie. It never touched the ground and was stuffed into a small football sized bundle.

I'm sold on Clark Hammocks!
    I'm ordering one this week and that's my hammock now.
    You can't talk me out of it.

Thanks to you, Cave-diver... your persistence and kind help was really what convinced us. That, along with your great video!
    YAY!
    We got CLARKS!

(Ok.. the photos did not post.. I'll try again)
    Last edited by Annie; 06-29-2008 at 18:04. Reason: photos?

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Pics

Last edited by Annie; 06-29-2008 at 18:03.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

New Pad

Here's a photo of the new pad I made.
    Now remember, this is just rough handstitched.
    This week, I'll take the cover off, wash it, and then sew it by machine, hemming the edges so the blue pad can be slipped in and out between uses.

I loved this thing.
    It was easy to make and really comfie to sleep on.
    The flannel didn't slide too much either on the Clark bottom.
    I think I only pulled myself up once.
    The wings really kept my arms warm.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    A camo Clark NA was my first hammock, and my only beef was the instructions could have been a little more clear. As a total novice, I could have used a little more guidance. Slept very comfortable from the start.

Good luck with yours.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Great trip report. Nice job on the homemade pad extender.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Ok, Cave.. I hear your toe tapping! ::laughing::

Here's the report!

We left the heatwave in Portland and retreated to the Coast for the weekend. Joe has a couple of lots within walking distance from the beach. We have to keep the blackberries cut back there and they have some nice trees for hanging.. so we decided to try our hammocks here for the first time. The first photo is of the place we worked and hung out.

If you look in the middle of the photo there is a nice pine tree and to the left of that is a trail going down into the forest. We hung out down about 20 feet from that tree.

Joe got his Clark set up for the first time in about 10 minutes. I was amazed how quickly he did it. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get my Speers adjusted correctly because it was hung on a grade and either my feet were in the air or my butt slid down. Seemed I just couldn't get settled. Finally I got it adjusted and we worked the rest of the day.

The first night, Joe slept in the Clark and I slept in the Speers. I have Speers' UQ so I was toasty, but the bugnet really "bugged" me because it was so close to my face. Then after a while, I kept waking myself up gasping for air and finally figured it was because my body was too head-down and too much pressure was on my lungs. So I flipped around (not easy in the Speers) and then spent an hour with my butt sliding. I finally got up in the dark, adjusted one end of the thing, and managed to sleep the rest of the night.

Joe slept like a baby in his Clark all through my troubles. He had clothes stuffed into the pockets. He did have his therma-rest and said it was real comfie. I'd say the temperature was in the high 40's that night.

Next night, we switched and I slept in the Clark. Oh my gosh! I can't tell you what a good night's sleep I got! It was amazing! So much room. I could sit up and turn side to side. I just loved it! The bugnet is held WAY up off your face. I could literally sit up inside. That thing RAWKS!

I had gone to Wallyworld earlier and picked up their $5.95 blue pad. I cut it and made one of those winged pads. I made the cover from green cotton flannel and just handsewed it. I'll stitch it by machine this week, but it worked great! I did put an old wool blanket under my feet, but I was toasty and warm all night and that night got down into the wee 40's.

Joe, on the other hand, fought with my Speers much of the night and ended up sleeping in the car. Neither of us could get it adjusted. I'm sure it'd be fine on flat ground or if a person had more experience. But for both of us, the Clark was the cadillac and we were very happy with it all the way around.

The take-down went easy as pie. It never touched the ground and was stuffed into a small football sized bundle.

I'm sold on Clark Hammocks!
    I'm ordering one this week and that's my hammock now.
    You can't talk me out of it.

Thanks to you, Cave-diver... your persistence and kind help was really what convinced us. That, along with your great video!
    YAY!
    We got CLARKS!

(Ok.. the photos did not post.. I'll try again)

Annie thanks for the trip report sounded like you had a good time. You could send me several quart's of black berry's Annie I think that you would have gotten your speer hammock working if you gave it more time. And had more time to mess with it. We are always messing with somthing on our hammocks it seems. I am glad that Clark did so well for you and you did'nt have any problems with it putting up or taken down I think im still going to put together a video of taken the clark down anyhow at your request.

It looked like you had another tarp over the clark tarp am I right?
    so hubby get's old clark and your getting new clark huh. Did you use any straps or did you just tie to tree?

great pictures but were is the beach pictures

anyhow glad you all had a fine time and I hope that you have many more with you clarks I know I do.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Haha

No beach photos. We mostly cut blackberries and they're not ripe yet
    Only stickers and blossoms.

Joe said tell you thanks so much because he could see from your video and photos all the great features. He's really happy with the hammock. It's brand new, waddya mean "old?" ::grin::

I am sure I could have gotten the Speers to work. It hung beautifully here and was really comfie and warm, but I just don't figure I'll need it.
    Have you ever set up your hammock then woke up in the middle of the night and it's not right? I'm sure it was the steep grade, which you can't see in the photos I posted. Plus I guess there's a learning curve with all of them.

I'm a bit more claustrophobic than I thought, and I just love the feel and the openness of the Clark.

I tried the Speers UQ on the Clark and it looks like it'd work so I'm going to keep it in case we do any snow camping.

But, I can't think of any other time I'd not want to use the Clark? And I don't need two hammocks. I live in a tiny condo with no storage. So I'm selling the Speers to get the cash for the Clark.

Joe used the straps that came with the Clark. They're wide and long and very nice. I'm just going to add loops to them. We looked for the "slapstraps" you're talking about but couldn't find them. It's just as easy to make them, I think.

I emailed the company with the photos. I'm sure they'll reply. So far the customer service from both Speers and Clark has been fantastic!~

The other tarp you see is my Speers Winter Tarp. I love that too! I had it set up over my Speers and it was over the Clark Tarp a bit also. It gave us a lot of nice cover for when the fog rolled in.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Joe said tell you thanks so much because he could see from your video and photos all the great features. He's really happy with the hammock. It's brand new, waddya mean "old?" ::grin::Not a problem Im glad you like it. well if you order another one then that one will be the old one and you should get the newer one.

Joe used the straps that came with the Clark. They're wide and long and very nice. I'm just going to add loops to them. We looked for the "slapstraps" you're talking about but couldn't find them. It's just as easy to make them, I think.I think that the straps that your useing will be as good or better than what I am useing mine are nylon and the streatch a bit when there new. I have often thought about maken some out of poly but I can sew worth a flip so that is out. maybe I will catch some long one's on here for sale some time.
    what speers underquilt do you have?

cavediver2

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Here's a photo of the new pad I made.
    Now remember, this is just rough handstitched.
    This week, I'll take the cover off, wash it, and then sew it by machine, hemming the edges so the blue pad can be slipped in and out between uses.

I loved this thing.
    It was easy to make and really comfie to sleep on.
    The flannel didn't slide too much either on the Clark bottom.
    I think I only pulled myself up once.
    The wings really kept my arms warm.

nice pad.i like itneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

nice pics.looks like you found the hammock you been looking for.
    neo
    Last edited by neo; 06-29-2008 at 20:50.
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast