HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Walmart Poly
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Attic Foil

Has anyone tried using attic foil sort of like a sun shade? I have a whole roll of it that didn't quite make it to my attic yet and thought about trying it out. You can check it out at atticfoil.com to see what I mean. I cut a section off to try it out but haven't got around to it yet. I have the stuff that's perforated so it is not a vapor barrier which might work well. Just thought I would check on here to see if someone has tried it yet.

Thanks,
    Zig

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Post deleted due to the inablity to read and comprehend simple sentences.....
    Last edited by zukiguy; 03-14-2012 at 17:24. Reason: Stupid....

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Walmart Poly
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I think what you're talking about is called reflectix. Folks use it for underpads, pot cozies, and lots of other uses. It's a little stiff and delicate to lay directly on but I think a few have done it. Do a search and you'll find tons of threads.
    No, It's actually called attic foil. Check out www.atticfoil.com I have about 1000 sq ft of it in the box. It is made for your attic to reflect the heat. I would imagine it could be used the same as reflectix but it is made different. Reflectix reminds me of foilized bubble wrap <- my 2 cents, lol. This is actually like a piece of plastic laminated with tin foil. There is a cool video of it on their website.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think it might work as a wind screen for an alcohol stove, but other wise I don't see that it has much insulative value. It claims to reflect heat, not insulate.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've never tried it but, since you have a supply, give it a go and let us know what you think.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Hey Zig, I've seen this stuff in the construction trade, for a sunscreen it would work great, but as a hammock pad, it doesnt breathe enough, despite the ventilation holes. Go ahead and try it, but I would refrain from using it as a stove windbreak and go with a cheap disposable roasting pan for that. This material is similar to Mylar, which has a foil/plastic layer. Melting plastic doesnt do well on skin.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Walmart Poly
    Insulation
    PLUQ &amp; Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I've never tried it but, since you have a supply, give it a go and let us know what you think.
    That's what I am thinking... as soon as I give it a whirl, I will let you all know!
    Check out: www.facebook.com/theloftyknot for all your shock cord & paracord survival needs!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Walmart Poly
    Insulation
    PLUQ &amp; Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    Hey Zig, I've seen this stuff in the construction trade, for a sunscreen it would work great, but as a hammock pad, it doesnt breathe enough, despite the ventilation holes. Go ahead and try it, but I would refrain from using it as a stove windbreak and go with a cheap disposable roasting pan for that. This material is similar to Mylar, which has a foil/plastic layer. Melting plastic doesnt do well on skin.

Shnick
    I am new to all this so hanging stuff so I figured I would ask... I suppose that the windshield reflectors actually are used as a pad to insulate rather than underneath the hammock such as an UQ? I was thinking of trying sort of like an UQ to help reflect my body heat??? Any ideas if that would even work?
    Check out: www.facebook.com/theloftyknot for all your shock cord & paracord survival needs!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

space blanket

I've heard of people layering in a space blanket into their top or under quilt construction or inbetween the underquilt and hammock. This stuff could be used in a similar way. It is said to add a few degrees for very little weight because of how it radiates heat back.

• + New Posts