Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Chattooga River Hang 2.0 and First Solo

I know, I know. A group hang + solo? However did you manage it, Str1der? I guess I'm just that good. Either that, or I scared everyone off after the first night, I'm not quite sure.

Dakotaross and I had both independently decided to reschedule solo trips for the weekend after all the storms and tornadoes. I left Atlanta around 5 and made it up to Burrell's Ford about an hour after dusk. Thankfully, I knew the section of trail between there and Ellicott Rock well, so I hiked in the dark checking every campsite with a lit campfire for my yet unmet companion.

As I rounded the corner to approach the beach site, I saw a bright red LED beckoning. I heralded my arrival and was introduced to dakotaross, a really nice guy to be sure. He had already set up his Claytor and was about to have dinner. I hurriedly set up my WBBB and Mambajamba tarp in my new snake skins (thanks Syb!). It was also the first outing using my new whoopie slings. I must say, those are keepers. We cooked dinner with our headlamps off since the full moon was bathing us with as much light as a flood lamp! Dinner was BB5's Beef Stroganoff. That one is coming with me on just about every camping from this day forward! Dakotaross and I sat around the campfire trading talk about gear, trails, and other camping experiences until we decided to turn in. I deployed my winter Incubator and 5 pound sleeping bag and drifted off to sleep.

The lows that night dropped into the lower 20s, a personal best for me! However, I had only previously used my uq in the lower 30s. Apparently, small gaps in the fit didn't matter at those temps, but they sure did in the low 20s! Twice during the first few hours, I got up and tightened my suspension. Even the second time wasn't enough as I was never completely warm, but it was enough for me to sleep thru the rest of the night. We got up at the crack of 8:30 and leisurely went through our morning routines of cooking breakfast (strawberries and cream oatmeal for me), checking out each other's setups, and just generally lollygagging. We took our time and really enjoyed the morning on the banks of the Chattooga! By the time we had packed up and hit the trail, it was after 12! We quickly hiked the rest of the way up to where the East Fork Trail runs into the CRT where we saw some strange artifacts left behind by an ancient culture. They appeared to be three sapling poles cut into 10 ft sections and lashed together like a teepee. They looked very much like the image posted about halfway down this link (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...craft+chairs); however, the purpose for these structures remains unknown. Dakotaross had a family engagement, so we parted ways and he high-tailed it back to the cars.

Now being on my own, I too headed south but at a much more leisurely pace. I hit the short but steep spur to Spoonauger Falls, and ate lunch under its mist. Then, I headed back to the campground to use the privy before pushing on south from Burrell's Ford. As I passed my truck, I saw that dakotaross had left me a beer! He must have identified my vehicle from the University of South Carolina decal I had on it (I had mentioned that I was a USC grad). What a guy!

I pushed on south hoping to reach the intersection with the foothills trail, but the combination of my incredibly late start and leisurely pace meant that I didn't get that far. I further tightened the suspension on my Incubator and also deployed my DIY Triangle Thingies just be safe. With a belly full of BB5's Chili Mac, some dehydrated apple slices, and apple brandy for desert, I settled down in my hammock early to read. It was then that the true feeling of being alone sank in. A solo hang is a surreal experience, and I can't really explain how it differs from a group hang except to say that those who have done it will understand. The sky was full of stars and a dark red full moon. I didn't bother to unskin the tarp since the sky was too beautiful. I had thought that being solo for the first time would keep me awake all night, but I actually slept better that night than the previous one. I used my Whitebox alcohol stove to cook breakfast (its first outing also), packed up, and hit the trail back to the truck. Sorry, no pics since I didn't bring a camera, but maybe dakotaross will post some that he took?

What I Learned:
    - I really enjoyed the solo experience, and I will definitely do it again. That being said, I think I prefer having some company, at least some of the time.
    - My winter Incubator is good to at least 20 degrees, as long as I tighten the suspension far more than I had though necessary!
    - It is better to boil water first and then use some for coffee while adding the oatmeal to the rest. Adding the oatmeal first means two separate boils.
    - Dakotaross is a quality gent!
    Last edited by Str1der; 03-14-2012 at 09:47.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Sound's like a good time i have been thinking about taking my son up to the Ellicot rock wilderness area for an overnighter and his first hang.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Nice trip

Awe come on, no pics = it didn't happen.

Actually, I am planning on taking my kiddos up there in the near future and I watch with interest any posts talking about the Chattooga area.

Sounds like a great outing.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    I enjoyed reading this trip report.

Those unknown structures are very comfortable chairs.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    nice report. I do alot of hiking in that area. The intersection where the FHT branches off is about 9 miles south of Burrells ford Rd right at Pigpen falls. There are some nice spots to camp right in there
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Great report. I recalled a solo trip of 5 days that I did a number of years ago. Sitting at the fire and watching sets of eyeballs glowing in the dark at various heights at the perimeter of the camp. At first disconcerting, then I realized I had company and was not so all alone. Solo trips, particularly multi-day trips can be very refreshing.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

it freakin' happened!

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Awe come on, no pics = it didn't happen.

Actually, I am planning on taking my kiddos up there in the near future and I watch with interest any posts talking about the Chattooga area...
    Can't believe I missed this trip report for over 2 months... here are the pics, it happened!

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17714
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17713
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17712
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17711
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17710
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17709
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ge.php?i=17708

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    dakotaross,

Thanks for the pics. The kiddos only have about 10 days left in school before summer break and everyone is chomping at the bits. Looking forward to hitting the trails.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

camping with kids

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    dakotaross,

Thanks for the pics. The kiddos only have about 10 days left in school before summer break and everyone is chomping at the bits. Looking forward to hitting the trails.

STinGa
    That area in general, and that beach site in particular I believe would be great with kids.

• + New Posts