BB Questions: Tree distance, strap height, and trying to find 30*

I currently have a pair of WBBB's, 1.1 DL and 1.7 DL. I'm trying them both to see which fits me best. I am 6'2" ~215lbs. I don't have a place to hang at home, but have gone out to some family land the last several weekends to try and dial in my hang but keep taking steps backwards!

The 1.1 has stock webbing suspension, the 1.7 has a Whoopie Slings All in One.

1. I am having slight calf ridge issues as my feet "fall" into the footbox. It is equal between both hammocks, so I'm convinced it is not a 1.1 vs 1.7 issue and is related to my hang. I HAD a 1.0 DL and it stretched so much that I found it very uncomfortable. I think my solution to this will be found in the next two questions.

2. What are you guys using for tree distance? I found three large oak trees in a triangle that I am using to set up both hammocks at the same time. They are 17'-18' between them. I am starting to think that this is not enough distance. I have watched the WB videos and he recommends 15', but to my eyes it looks like he's hanging at more like 20'.

3. How in the world are you getting 30 degree angles at 15' without your straps being 8' tall? The hammock with Whoopies is definitely easier to adjust than the WB webbing, but I cannot get either hammock dialed in. I can get one side right, but then the other is <20*. I cannot get them to equal out. I usually end up with the head end 2-3' closer to the tree than the foot end. I start everything off with straps at ~6' high and trees ~17' apart and go from there because that's an easily repeatable baseline for me. However, when 30* starts to appear the hammock is usually laying on the ground. How are you shorter guys doing it?

Thanks guys!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I think that a solution through tree distance variation will be fruitless; or if successful, merely coincidental if the distances from ends of the hammock to the trees are equal and the hammock is hung level.

Once you have varied ridge-line, you should try differences from level.

The exception to the first assertion is that you can try varying the relative lengths of head-end and foot-end cord or strap with the total length of the two fixed. It is not given that they should be equal in length for your body. As you vary the ratio of the two, the ridge line tensions will vary. A tight ridgeline will constrain the effect.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-14-2012 at 20:38.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't obsess too much with the numbers. They are really only a guide for most of us. Pay more attention (as you're learning) to the ridgeline and how it hangs. Look for that 'almost' tight tension. You should still be able to move the ridgeline up and down a couple of inches without the hammock being weighted. Get that part right first, then work your way outwards to 'tweak' the hammock hang.

The biggest issue IMO surrounding the 30° mark, is the drop when you load the hammock. The closer to flat the suspension is, the farther the hammock will drop when you get in. The 30° mark removes much of that vertical drop because the suspension is already at an optimal angle, instead of being forced into it by your weight.

This stuff is way more art than science, but science gives us a good starting point to practice our art. The ridgeline on the Warbonnet hammocks can be a useful guide and probably less difficult than trying to get the angle spot on. Enough hangs and the angle just becomes second nature.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UGO
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have found that I tended to have the RL too tight. So, I started playing with it as loose as possible and worked from there. There is a minimum distance for trees, the max is determined by how far your straps reach, and how tall of a ladder you brought.
    "Getting the hang just right", is part of the fun for me. Gives me something to do while meals are cooking. My wife, conversely, hangs it, steps back, looks, makes an adjustment, and she is done. I just don't think she fully appreciates the fiddle factor.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&amp;Dutchstuff
    I think you might be over thinking your set up. I still think its too easy to worry about ridgeline tension, and IMHO, if your RL is structural, like the BB (which is made from Amsteel) then it is intended to fix the sag in your hammock and allow it to be hung at angles less than 30*. The 'hang' should theoretically be the same at 30* as it is at 20* or 15*, but the RL will be much tighter at the lower angles. Is this a problem? I don't think it is, to me, this is the main benefit of having a structural RL. By readjusting the hang angle until the tension in the RL is only 'slight', you are only using the RL as a gauge to set the hang angle to ~30*.

I worried about this for a good while until I decided just to forget about the RL tension. Now I hang both straps at between 6' - 7' on trees about 5 good paces apart, I have a look to see if the hammock is roughly central, then shorten the foot end whoopie to lift that end and lengthen the head end whoopie to drop that end. This should leave a noticeable angle in the RL and the hammock will be off centre towards the foot end tree, but if you imagine where your upper torso will be positioned in the hammock, it will be central between the trees. Then get in and give it a try, you may need to increase or decrease the height of the foot end, but most people seem to get on with it being about 6" higher than the head end.

Hope that helps

Atb

Mark
    Last edited by Roe Ring; 03-14-2012 at 18:56.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    With different words, Law Dawg has in other threads reported that Roe Ring's setup is what he finds most comfortable for his WB - supplied hammocks. Not just raised foot end, but longer rope behind the head than between foot end and that tree.

I continue to be surprised that the suggestion to hang the hammock off-center is seldom explicitly made.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ &amp; UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    When ever I've had comfort problems in a WBBB it's been from having the ridge line too tight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I believe this thread will help you out.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...le+calculation

Colton

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
    ...I usually end up with the head end 2-3' closer to the tree than the foot end...
    This tends to make head end hang higher then the foot end when you are in the hammock and may be part of your comfort problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post
    ...I have a look to see if the hammock is roughly central, then shorten the foot end whoopie to lift that end and lengthen the head end whoopie to drop that end. This should leave a noticeable angle in the RL and the hammock will be off centre towards the foot end tree, but if you imagine where your upper torso will be positioned in the hammock, it will be central between the trees. Then get in and give it a try, you may need to increase or decrease the height of the foot end, but most people seem to get on with it being about 6" higher than the head end...
    And this is the fix. Try the foot end higher by at least 6".

• + New Posts