DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thinking of a suspension mod, wanted some feedback

I was looking at my DN today, and was thinking of a way to attach a pair of descender rings to my hammock without untying and taking the stock rope out of the channel. I am really OCD about not being able to get it back into the hammock the way it is now.

I know I can find lighter rope out there, but I like the stock rope, and if I ever decide to change sell, I know would feel better reselling with the stock suspension.

Now, what i was thinking is to get the 2 rings lark's headed onto the hammock was: untying the top knot on the stock rope around the rings, and then pulling the entire hammock through the hole created by the untied knot. Therefore, giving me a pair of lark's headed rings on one side, repeat on the other.

I understand it is a longer way of doing things, but, would it work? Or, is this just a crazy late night idea.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    It's a losing battle the stock rope is ok but pointless if you want to go a lighter and more adustable. I have bought other hammocks but will never sell my eno. It stays in my daily pack just in case I feel like hangin somewhwere on the fly. Give it a try anyways and let us know how it goes. Take pics!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You don't need to feed the entire hammock to get the larkshead. Once you put the rope through the inside of both descender rings, open up the loop of the rope and feed that loop around the outside of the rings.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You don't need to feed the entire hammock to get the larkshead. Once you put the rope through the inside of both descender rings, open up the loop of the rope and feed that loop around the outside of the rings.
    I am a bit confused :/

I don't get how I can do that since the other side of the stock rope is knotted through the channel.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I've removed ropes from several hammocks. It's not going to cause problems but just to be safe...
    1) Wiggle the knot at the end of the channel until it loosens from the larksheaded loop.
    2) Remove the larkshead.
    3) Remove the loop from the channel.
    4) Repeat on other side.
    5) Put the loops in your sock drawer in case you sell it later.
    6) Rethread with your choice of materials.

I really think you're worrying about nothing when it comes to removing loops from a hammock. I have replaced many cheaper rope loops with AmSteel or other lighter cord and it never caused a problem with the hammock itself.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It been a while since I had the stock ropes on my ENO but all you need is a loop of the rope big enough to go around the two descender rings. Here's a video Knotty made and at 0:55 seconds it shows what I mean.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh awesome. I didn't know I could do that with an existing loop.

If I decided to switch out the existing ropes for something else, what does the group recommend?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Oh awesome. I didn't know I could do that with an existing loop.

If I decided to switch out the existing ropes for something else, what does the group recommend?
    The popular choice is 7/64 amsteel made into a continuous loop. You can make them yourself of buy them from a vendor here.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    I know I can find lighter rope out there, but I like the stock rope, and if I ever decide to change sell, I know would feel better reselling with the stock suspension.
    Latitiude, maybe try what Bubba suggested. You'll likely get a better resale if you do sell later.

I got a couple of whoopie slings. They have a fixed loop on one end - about 6" long. The other end has a sliding loop that gets bigger or smaller, depending on how much you pull on the end that is passed back through the main line.

I unknotted the loops on the ENO stock rope. I pulled one end of the stock loop out of the gathered end channel completely. I then attached the fixed loop of the whoopie to one end of the stock rope. I pulled the stock rope out of the channel, thereby pulling the loop of the whoopie through the channel. I then put the other end of the whoopie through the fixed end; this in fact, attaches the whoopie with a larks head to the end channel. I saved my stock rope for a few months (you can reverse this later if you like). I ended up throwing out the stock ends. The whole length of whoopies actually weigh only a little more than the stock ends.

If you look at the Blue ENO double in my gallery closely, you can see the whoopie attached at one end through a larks head & the other end still has the stock ENO rope & biner attached.

As far as decender rings, you have the same adjustability with the whoopies. I just put the biner through the adjustable end of the whoopie & attach it to the tree straps.

• + New Posts