Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

The HUG--Hammock Half Bug Net @ AHE

The HUG--The Hammock Half Bug Net
    Available for order now at AHE and on sale this weekend for just $27.50
    Sale starts now and ends Sunday night.

The HUG is the ultimate in simplicity for hammock bug nets: super compact and lighter than anything else available on the market, weighing only 5 ounces and packing down to the size of an orange. The HUG was designed with three main objectives: 1) light weight; 2) easy entry and exit (without fiddling with zippers or other complex entry systems); 3) and can be used with or without a fixed ridgeline.

The HUG saves weight by deliberately taking advantage of different components in most hammock camping systems, namely a pad or under quilt, and a sleeping bag. Just as many lightweight ground bivvy sacks use small bug nets that only cover the campers torso for maximum efficiency, the HUG provides a generous space around the hanger without wasted space and netting in areas where you don't need it. A sleeping bag provides ample coverage for your legs where the net ends, and a pad or under quilt add peace of mind for bites from behind. Additionally, an under quilt can help secure the sides of the HUG for maximum closure.

The HUG is designed to provide a spacious, "bug-free zone" while also allowing you to easily hop in and out without getting tangled up. Some "wrap-around" bug nets are difficult to open and close, especially when its dark, and zippers and draw strings can become unmanageable when draping fabric has little tension. The HUG, in contrast, drapes around your waist, so getting out is as simple as swinging your legs out of your hammock and standing up. Getting inside is equally simple: just sit down in your hammock and pull the netting over your head and torso. Lay back and enjoy!

The HUG works on hammocks with or without a fixed ridgeline. Some hangers like using a ridgeline to attach or hang gear and to help keep a consistent sag in the hammock. You won't need to remove or detach your ridgeline when using the HUG: the HUG can hang just below the ridgeline and even attach to it. Secure the HUG with the hook-and-loop closure and remove it when not needed.

TO INSTALL
    1. Drape the HUG over the head end of your hammock.
    2. Secure the omni tape (hook-and-loop) to seal off the tip of your hammock, right where the suspension line attaches.
    2A. For hammocks with a fixed ridgeline, hang the HUG under the ridgeline.
    3. Attach the center-line shock cord to the opposite end (foot end) with the adjustable mitten clip, or attach directly to the ridgeline, if installed.
    4. Under the hammock, wrap the side shock cord around the bottom and attach to the opposite side with the toggle.
    5. Attach under quilt and tuck the sides of the HUG between hammock and quilt.

TO USE
    1. Enter the hammock normally by pulling the fabric wide and sit in the middle, pulling the HUG to one side so you don't sit on it.
    2. Pull HUG net over your head and torso.
    3. Swing your legs into the hammock.
    4. Adjust the tension on the HUG using the center-line shock cord lock.

Designed by author and hammock aficionado Derek Hansen.

ABOUT THE DESIGN
    By Derek Hansen

"The inspiration for the HUG came after many sleepless nights attending to the needs of my kids while hammock camping. Without fail, as soon as I would get get my kids situated and then get myself zipped up into my hammock, one of my kids would need something. It was usually urgent. More than once as I fumbled in the dark to unzip or open a draw cord on a bug net, I dreamt of a bug net that would let me just sit up and jump out. No zippers. No Velcro. No buttons, snaps, folds, or draw strings. Was it possible?"

"The inspiration came after using a lightweight ground bivvy bug net and seeing a similar but simpler application for a hammock. The solution was a bug net that "hugs" the hammock, draping over top for easy entry and exit, and using the tension from the hammock to "seal" the sides without using zippers or Velcro. A simple toggle system inside allows for tension adjustments for more room or better side-to-side coverage. The half-sized bug net, or HUG, played well with the dynamic nature of the hammock, and paired perfectly with systems already in place that could help ward off pesky bugs."

"I am pleased to have Paul and Arrowhead Equipment manufacture the HUG and make it commercially available. For those looking for a lightweight, simple solution to seasonal bug issues, I believe the HUG is a perfect match."

> To find out all about hammock camping be sure to check out The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping by Derek Hansen.

Ilistration and photo by Derek Hansen, Thanks Bud
    Last edited by pgibson; 03-15-2012 at 17:25.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks awesome!

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Great collaboration on this Paul and Derek! Looks good!

Cheers

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very Nice! And nice addition to your sales items Paul!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great idea guys! Gonna tell my friend, who ripped out his full size one from the sag.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    Sweet! I think I just bought one. I had my eyes closed but I pushed the button.
    My Flickr photos Outdoors collection

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think the HUG will fit in with the rest of our gear quite nicely.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    I just bought one.

I cannot wait to try this.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I was wondering how I was going to get one of those. Now I know...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I really like the concept, but here in Alabama, the thought of a cockroach crawling up my legs gives me the heebeegeebees. The weight savings sure is enticing though. Also for summer, I'm in shorts and dont use a topquilt much, so my legs would be exposed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast