Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

looking for a review

The exped ergos are on sale, with a 20% discount at basegear.com. Still pricey at about $280, but that includes everything. Id order in a heartbeat, but Im 6'2 so the rumors of it being too short are holding me back. On the other hand they have a pretty good return policy, so whats the holdup?

Ive got a JRB bridge now, and I love it, but Im always looking for something better.

EDIT: Just looked at the webpage and they have the dimensions as 94.5 x 55 inches. Thats got to be enough length right?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    I am expecting mine in about a week. I spent a good deal of time on the phone with a guy named Brennan at Exped. One of my main concerns is the length. I am 6'1" and 250 lbs. Brennan said he is 6'2" tall and about 215 lbs., and he said that his toes touched the end of the hammock. He said it was tight, but that he could have used more room. He also said that he didn't find it a concern because when lying on his back for a short while relaxing , or first getting into bed, it wasn't a bother. He, like myself, is mostly a side sleeper. So, when actuall turning in for sleep he found he had enough room. He told me that a larger version will not be available this season, but that it was a definite possibility for next year. Haven't dealt with Exped much, but I was very impressed with the amount of time this guy took to talk with me. Didn't rush me and actually provided other insight on things I wasn't even asking about. I know there are a couple of early YouTube videos from FourDog, and some others, but I believe they are for a pre final production run model. If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I will try my hand at a video when I receive the hammock.
    Chuck

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    Oops...I posted above, "He said it was tight...", I meant to say that Brennan said it wasn't really tight, but he could have used more room.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yukon Chuck, this advance report is really useful. Thanks. Are you planning to use a pad with your Ergo? I've heard that Exped DAMs make bridge hammocks far more comfortable, and I've noticed that the Exped videos only showed the hammock with a pad. Fourdog confirmed that it's kind of floppy without a pad. I think that means it's a bit harder to get into because it doesn't hold its shape, but it may be comfortable and secure with an underquilt for insulation, once you get settled in it. The sleeper's body provides the structure (sort of like a foot rope). This is all conjecture, so we look forward to your user's report.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    David,
    I definitely plan on a pad. I am going to try a big and wide Thermarest I have, then the Thermarest with a home made Refectix mat, then the Reflectix mat alone, as I would like to see if that alone will help the hammock hold its shape. I will also try laying with no pad at all. Should be interesting. I love new toys.
    Chuck

Hammock
    Dream RG, Exped Ergo, Hennessy
    Tarp
    Exped Ergo Combi
    Insulation
    HG Phx, HG Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Hooks

Should have one on Friday 3/30/12

Hello all, first post.

I lurked here for over year and finally decided on the Ergo when my 20% REI and new dividend burned a hole in my pocket. I have tried a couple ENOs and a Hennessy with on scout trips and am looking for as flat a lay as possible (never though I would say that...). Anyway, due to a "little" parachute accident in the service, sleeping on my side is a requirement - I hope this fits the bill.

I will be happy to report back after I receive it.

Regards.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    I have posted my video review links on a separate thread...
    Exped Ergo Hammock Review?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50510
    Last edited by Yukon Chuck; 04-06-2012 at 08:56. Reason: Added information

I got one of the first one that Backcountry edge recieved..... I'm only 5'8" tall and i used the large exped downmat in the sleeve.

i couldnt stretch out without my feet pushing against the bug netting pretty hard as well as the top of my head.

I dont quite understand where the length of the pad disappears to as the hammock should be just as long as it is?

the design and features were definitely nice, the tarp was really nice also, providing lots of coverage with minimal weight but i had to send this one back .... if they release a long version i would consider getting it as the lay is nice and flat with no bathtub effect.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I got one !
    I am 168 cm long and it's almost to short for me
    Only got about 10 cm to play with.

To be honest i have just used it once, so i don't know it to well yet.
    At that time i used it toghether with a Exped synmat UL @ -4 C, i froze my *** off

What i like:
    • The strange looks of it.
    • I think i really like the stock setup (and i switch between cinch buckle/webbing and whoppies depending on mood).
    • The tarp is huge !
    • Fairly easy to setyp once you know how.
    • A complete system.

What i don't like:
    • It's short
    • B/c you lay on a pad, the bottom insulation area is kind narrow, it's fairly to slip off .
    • That i can't use a UQ (i think i prefer UQ to pads)
    • I don't think this will be my winter hammock.
    • Expensive.
    • The hammock angel (45 degree upwards) when you sit in it. (you sit in one corner)

Last edited by moski; 04-13-2012 at 06:05.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Just googled them..... 3 pounds 10 ounces and $340.
    Is this the most expensive dollar per ounce hammock out there?

moski 168cm = 66 inches = 5'5" and you say it's short!

I love the concept. It reminds me of what big wall climbes sleep in on multi day pitches ~Half Dome~
    Surely WV has done this in his super secret hammock labratory and reduced the weight by at least 60% ???

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast