WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, interesting thread! Fog/mist sure can be an Uber challenge!

Still drying out after just one night? Wow! Same question as above: any loss of loft? Plus a new question: how do you think you would have handled it if this was the 1st night of a week long trip? Maybe with more than one foggy night and a lack of sunshine during the day?

I didn’t lose much in the way of loft (I had a 0* Burrow) but the outside of the bag had a few wet/soaked spots from all the dripping. I think that I would have tried to “fluff” the quilts to see if that would help spread the down out.
    If this was the first night of a week-long trip? I think I would have started draping my clothing or rain gear over the TQ to protect it. I think I would have been fine for 2-3more nights, without additional protection, but after that it would have gotten a bit dicey. The UQ would have been more of a challenge. The UQP provided some protection from the fog. I might have moved my windshield protector underneath the UQ to protect it. I definitely would have tried to dry out the UQP during the day by putting it next to my body. It was really damp when I got home, but I think my body heat would have dried it out.
    I think I will look at making some sort of TQP to drape over my hammock. Kind of like Dutch has for sale. I know I would use something like that during winter camping (when it’s dry).

Another thought that just popped into my head, I may try bringing one of those disposable ponchos to see if that helps.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    2 things come to mind,
    1st: if you are hiking in an area known for fog, you may want to skip the down and go to synthetic. I picked up a synthetic set fairly cheaply (in the greater scheme of things). If it is going to be raining a bunch or foggy, thats what i would do.

2nd: I was having a discussion about damp down and condensation with Stormcrow yesterday (adam of hammockgear.com) and he was saying that the best way to dry out a down quilt on the trail is to simply sleep in it. Most down quilt makers use a breathable shell so as to allow your normal body vapor to escape through the feathers and on out. we were discussing why our breathing at night makes the area damp around the mouth of the quilt. Adam said that he once went to bed cold and wet with a damp TQ, and by the next morning his body heat had dried out the top quilt.

So, just some things to think about.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Big Papi I agree about the synthetic. I was just not expecting so much fog on my trip. The weather report said 60s during the day with upper 30s at night (I checked just before I left for the trail). By the time I got up there (4 hrs later). They changed the whole forecast to dense fog warnings and lows around 32 with the same forecast for the next night.

I could also see things drying out from body heat, if it wasn't foggy for multiple days in a row. In fact I seriously thought about sticking it out for a 2nd night, but I just didn't feel like I was prepared for that situation on my own. I might have considered it more seriously if there was another person with me. As it turned out, I learned a valuable lesson and will be better prepared when I go back out again, under those conditions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123