Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by biggcarl View Post
    Regardless of anyone's economic status, there is never a time you are entitled to anything someone earned, period.

Lack of basic respect of others and feelings of entitlement is huge problem that seems to be getting even worse.

If someone needs a few dollars, ask. If the answer is no there is no need to harass the person. That person earned their money, it's their choice how to spend it.

As far as karma goes. I hope the thief cuts his/her hand on something in that bag. It gets nice and infected and the hand gets cut off. That's karma!

I agree with the first part of this, until the hand losing part. There's never an excuse to violate someone. It shows great character in being able to take that mindset, I don't know that I'd be able to. But regardless it's the right one to take, in my view. Hopefully the guy at least feels some guilt for it and makes for it down the road in another way.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Well you are way more forgiving than I. The last thing the person that took my gear would want is me to find them with it!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You are a blessing to us all. You are so right that it is all just stuff when it comes down to it, and there are so many more important things in this world. There will always be bad people out there that steal and hurt people, but all we can do is pray for them, and learn from our mistakes. (ie don't keep anything in the car at church) However; God sees all and knows all, and you have put it in God's hands. God bless you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    While I haven't had any camping gear stolen per se, I did have a four wheeler taken from me once. It was gut wrenching at the time, and as fate would have it, I pulled up next to a truck with my four wheeler in the back headed out to the lake for a weekend of fun. I recognized a very distinctive mark. Didn't have cell phones back then so I made a decision to stop while following it and call the police instead of following it to wherever they were headed. Got it back a month or so later and it was trashed.

If I was you, I would check out the local pawn shops as well. I would probably also work in a way to gather up the people you help on Fridays and explain to them the situation. I am not saying you should pit them against each other, just a small explanation like you gave us. Who knows what might happen. Worst case, nothing, best case, someone anonymously returns your gear. I don't think you need to launch an investigation, but putting a face to a crime might have someone at least realize the consequences of their actions. It might be what someone needs.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Sorry to hear of your miss fortune! This world is a crazy place to say the least! I have a couple vintage external frame packs well kept, send me a message with your size and we will see if we can get you in one and back on the trail!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Thats crazy, usually in a smash and grab it's in a space that can be seen into and thats why they smash to grab what they see. But to smash a window to see whats in there is pretty out of character for smash and grab thieves. Desperate times I guess. Always a great bunch of folks here that are willing to offer up replacement gear.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by secondechomatt View Post
    Anyone else have something like this happen to them?
    Yes. Same thing in my own driveway some years ago. I applaud you for your ability to forgive, to see that things are not simply black-and-white, and not to be utterly vindictive like some pitiable Inspector Javert (Victor Hugo's Les Miserables), which led to his own end rather than to the end of the thief. Christ Jesus also saw that the test might be for the victim, rather than for the thief. You are passing the test with flying colors, in my book.

I have gear that I've been giving away in the PIF thread, where I get something physical in return. I'd be happy to share items with you, and get something metaphysical in return. Will shoot you a PM.

And God bless you for your work with those less fortunate!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    The last thing the person that took my gear would want is me to find them with it!!!!!!!
    +1.
    Car got stolen in OKC back in 1995. Happened across them on the highway and discretely followed them home. I got it back but wished I hadn't. The steering column had been destroyed and my belongings were long gone.

Anyways, I got caught while halfway thru the retrieval, dude came at me and I still had my leather jacket, gloves and helmet on. Never did find out if the guy's buddy got him to the hospital and the cops never asked how I got it back. Came back later to get my bike and the jerkfaces tipped it over. Thieves are the lowest scum on the planet.

When it comes to me and mine, I take no quarter. Even though I was young and stupid, I made it a point to wear leather if I ever expected a fight.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

An update of sorts...

Thanks to the open generous hearts of MANY forum members, I'm headed into the piney woods next week! Thank you all so much! I'll start a trip report thread when I get back.

Everything went great! It was a beautiful day, with temps in the 50s. According to the weather, it was supposed to hit the low 30s at night. I hung my hammock, with the new whoopie slings and put the ponch liner UQ on. The plan was to use a 20 degree bag as a TQ, with a down comforter on top of the UQ, right under my behind. I had done 28 degrees with less, so I figured I'd be ok.

I was wrong.

Woke up at 3am shivering to death. Grabbed my phone and quickly discovered why. It was 16 FREAKING DEGREES!!!

Fortunately, I was only outside of our cabin. I ran inside, flipped on the gas fireplace and kicked the dog off of the couch!

Enjoyed myself, even though I was really cold! I was really humbled by the outpouring of help, even though that's not what I wanted. Thank you, to all of you that reached out to me, even if it was just some words! It meant a lot! Thank you hammock forums for your kind and giving nature, in a world of jaded people, you shine as pure hearts!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234