Hammock
    claytor jungle, warbonnet BB
    Insulation
    new river+insultex

ring buckles and rain......

I started to read the ring buckles thread....and at 54 pages or more....I just hope someone will answer this question for this relative newcomer....
    I have removed the Tom Claytor webbing to use on the tree side with carabiner (Just Jeff inspired) with a heavier rope through the hammock and on the rings, attached in such a way that I can remove the rope from the buckles without untying if I need to spread the ends and set up on the ground.

My question:
    Someone mentioned that if the rings are under the tarp, that the hammock will stay completely dry from wicking water...? That the rings stop the waters movement to the hammock? I am hoping that is really true, and would love to hear from the voices of experience on this matter. I'll be going to the BWCA for 10 days and hope for a dry sleeping!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wnnapddl View Post
    I started to read the ring buckles thread....and at 54 pages or more....I just hope someone will answer this question for this relative newcomer....
    I have removed the Tom Claytor webbing to use on the tree side with carabiner (Just Jeff inspired) with a heavier rope through the hammock and on the rings, attached in such a way that I can remove the rope from the buckles without untying if I need to spread the ends and set up on the ground.

My question:
    Someone mentioned that if the rings are under the tarp, that the hammock will stay completely dry from wicking water...? That the rings stop the waters movement to the hammock? I am hoping that is really true, and would love to hear from the voices of experience on this matter. I'll be going to the BWCA for 10 days and hope for a dry sleeping!
    The rings interrupt the flow or wicking of the water coming down the rope; it just drips on to the ground from there. Ain't no way that water can get from the wet side of the ring to the dry side.

Grizz

Images
    Yep. Water doesn't ring over the rings. Any that gets there falls down. My webbing usually has a twist in it that also dropps water.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I verified this over the weekend Interrupt the flow with just about anything and the water drops off at that point. Buckle, carabiner, drip string...

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I do the same as coffee I twist my webbing a bit.
    Chris

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wnnapddl View Post

My question:
    i have never had a problem snice i went to the ring buckle systemneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    claytor jungle, warbonnet BB
    Insulation
    new river+insultex

Sounding good to me!

I was attracted to the buckle modifications hoping for quicker setup and less knots.....and this water solution will really be the icing on the cake!!!!
    Thankyou !

Images
    Another tip is to tie the ring buckles loose, the knot in the hammock suspension and ridgeline. It makes it easier to remove the webbing. I also don't crank down on the webbing until I have it right where I want it. Sometimes it's harder to undo. That would be what drives me to something else, just haven't found anything yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I would recommend testing what you have using a pitcher of water, pouring it slowing on the suspension line while watching what happens. Use plenty of water and be patient, sometimes things act differently when they are saturated with water, oriented differently, or the slope changes.

I have seen water get past a ring buckle when doing testing, but it was a function of how fast the water was coming, the orientation and the sag (or slope) of the suspension lines. You really want something you have a lot confidence in.

Another thing that I think happens is that coating can wear off. If you think about the problem, gravity is trying to made any water traveling along the bottom edge fall straight to the ground. What prevents that from happening is surface tension(?) and for a given surface tension the slope comes into play. Significant changes in slope (orientation can do that) or surface tension can cause water to stay on versus fall off.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts