Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

UQ - to Build or to Buy?

I've been mulling this over for a while and I know I need to do more research, but the entire UQ question has me confused.

First off, I don't hammock that much in the cold. Almost never below 40*. So I've gotten by with my hack job synthetic fiber sleeping bag UQ and/or my good old thermarest plus my down tq.

But the call of the downy goodness is haunting me.

So I'm here poring over dozens of threads on DIY, and all the fine vendors who already know how to do this stuff!

But, here's the thing. I want a nice one. I have no doubt I can build a nice one. Oh yes, I have skills. But when I see that cost of materials can approach what some vendors are charging I begin to wonder. Why would I do that? Why not just buy one?

Example, I can buy a New River from Arrowhead for $155. Could I make as nice of a quilt for that? For a lot less?

I like to make things... but sometimes it's nice when somebody just makes you a nice sandwich and hands it to you. With a nice pickle. And a cold glass of tea. Ya know what I mean?

(I'm also intrigued by the pea pod... and apparently I'm hungry)

Halp!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I just bought one from undergroundquilts, picked up a new summer uq with some mods

http://www.undergroundquilts.com/

Good luck on your decision
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    For me it was a matter of I could make my own and have a UQ or wait for several months until I could afford what I wanted. So I DIYed a 30* down UQ and TQ for around $60-$70 total. I used ripstop and mosquito netting that I got on sale. Bought a down pillow off ebay for the fill. And used cordage that I already had around the house.

What ever you decide, good luck and remember its all about enjoying yourself.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    So... $50 to Adam above material costs, and you have some downy goodness without any fuss...

Skip eating out for a week and buy. I like making hammocks, but sometimes the feeling of accomplishment is not better than that feeling of opening that box... It's like Christmas when you were 6!

Oh... I'm back to the garage... Gotta finish that hammock cover..
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WL Snipe, BIAS WW
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps N Whoopies
    I made my own UQ for about $50 to $60. The most expensive part was by far the down. Having never sewing before (and with my wifes help) it came out great. The best part is I was able to custom fit it to me so there is no extra baffles on each side or to long or any wasted material anywhere. It only weighs 12 oz and ive used it down to 25 degrees comfortably. Give it a try. You wont regret it.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Okay, so I should definitely make one unless I buy one. Got it!

I'm leaning toward buying one at the moment. I really like to see how someone who knows what's what does it before DIYing.

But I don't know...

Where do I buy down?

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey hppyfngy,

Making some gear gives us great satisfaction but sometimes it is well worth to have someone make it for you. It will work exactly as planned and it is easier on you. There are reasons so many people use the cottage guys here on the Forum.

I bought an UQ from Hammockgear.com and it was worth every penny. I need a TQ now and I will buy from them again.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    For me, it's not the savings; I don't look for the most inexpensive or quickest way to construct an item. I try to find the best materials I can afford because I know it will last a lifetime (nothing beats 900 down). If you add your time as a factor, you will probably come out on the short end of the stick. I enjoy designing, being creative and problem solving. There's nothing like creating an innovative idea and carrying it through to total completion. You get the opportunity to make an item that you know will have the assured quality because you know what went into it. Then there's the ability to customize it to you particular needs. There's is a zen-like quality to sewing for me so I thoroughly enjoy the entire process. Then finally you have the infamous "pride factor" ... I made it!!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    It was boothill's idea for us to make our own tqs and uqs. I'm an experienced thread-injector, so I was pretty skeptical....it sounded like a lot of work to me! He bought a couple of down pillows off eBay and away we went! I was a lot easier than I thought it would be. To second what Perezrt wrote above, I was able to twitch the design and end up with a custom insulation system that works for me. I'm already planning my summer system! (Oh, yeah, and from those two pillows--about $80 total??--we ended up with a tq, 2 uqs, several hammock pillows, and a pair of down booties! Nice.)
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Okay, so get me started in the right direction please. I want a simple 40* full uq.

Is it that much more economical to rip apart pillows? I see WildernessLogics has 800 fill for $6.50/oz. I figure 7 oz for $50 or so shipped.

I have mesh and fabric I think. Might need some dwr.

Where are the soup to nuts diy directions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast