Soon to be WBBB
    Tarp
    cheap blue poly
    Insulation
    marmot trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Hello from NE Ohio

Hello everyone, ive been spectating on this forum for about 6 months now and have been learning a ton from this forum, and am impressed by the sincerity and willingness to help by all members. Im twenty years old and feel refreshed to find a community of people so willing and excited to help one another in todays society and have wanted to join and add my opinions since day one, but didnt know how much i could contribute as a newbie, but everyone's open welcomeness has led me to join and begin posting, and i appreciate the atmosphere on this forum. thank you all so much. Backpacking/camping/hunting/fishing, and everything about being outdoors has always been my passion, so thank you everyone! right now i have a marmot trestles 15, use the cheap blue poly tarps and a ten dollar, use a ten dollar rope hammock from wallyworld, but am planning on biting the bullet and buying a WBBB 1.1 DL because of the popularity on this forum and SGT rock and Shugs videos. I also make some of my own small gear(moneys tight since im a student at OSU) like cat can alcohol stoves and am planning on a DIY UQ out of an old. Any suggestions and/or criticism on my current setup is greatly appreciated. In specific what do you think a synthetic 30 degree sleeping bag would bring me down to if i modified it to an UQ? or how low i could get in my marmot tresltes and a thin fleece sleeping bag modified to act as a UQ? thanks for any feedback and happy hanging!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Welcome aboard.

The UQ thing is a bit different for everyone. The 30* SB might get you 30* or it might only get you 45*, or it may even get you to 20* comfortably. I have a fleece UQ that I use during Summer and it gets me into the 50s pretty easily, but any amount of breeze and it becomes essentially useless. Of course where I live the Summer time lows rarely drop below 70* and at that point I don't really need anything below or on top of me. Good luck and happy hanging.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Soon to be WBBB
    Tarp
    cheap blue poly
    Insulation
    marmot trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    thank you for the quick response! i assume SB means synthetic bag, but if so mine is rated to 15 not 30, but i understand the variability you stated and assume mine will get me down to somewhere between 30* and 5*, and even if it gets me down to 20 or 25 ill be happy, which is why i bought a 15 because i was banking on the rating not being truly accurate, and I probably will never sleep in temperatures less than 30(in the near future), so figured getting a 15* EN tested bag would cover my bases. do you think if i added a refliectix pad my sleeping system would cover me to 15*? thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Welcome Phillipe52585, from central Ohio. Grab your gear and come out with us to Zaleski on the weekend of the 30th. I usually have an extra 20* UQ to loan so don't let that keep you out of the woods.

SB (sleeping bag), I don't think adding reflextix will get you anywhere near 15*, maybe if you used your SB as a peapod but not if you're laying directly on the SB and compressing the insulation.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF. Refletex has been used successfully by many people to extend the temperature range of their setups. Probably the most effective way to use it IMO is to slide it in between whatever you are using for as a UQ and the bottom of you hammock. Experimenting with different setups, materials and configurations is the only way to really find what works best for you.
    Terry

Hammock
    Soon to be WBBB
    Tarp
    cheap blue poly
    Insulation
    marmot trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    yeah i know so im trying to get out there as often as possible just struggle to find the time.

Banner - i would love to join on the Zaleski trip. i am a student at OSU so the forest is only around and hour or two away ill check it out. Only problem is finding a ride but ill check out the hangout trips threads and see whats going on. i appreciate the offer on the 20 degree UQ, if i make it out and the weather fails i may just take you up on that.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    My Homemade Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Welcome! Good to have you!

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome from West TN!
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Soon to be WBBB
    Tarp
    cheap blue poly
    Insulation
    marmot trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Hello everyone i made a new username, Pav, which is what id like to be called so probably wont be on this one anymore. Philipe52585 was supposed to just be the email i used to register, so from now on ill be Pav. thanks everyone for the warm welcoming

MBessie
    Hey!
    here is a new member from MA , Boston! :P
    Glad to see you here Philipe52585 and others!))

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast