Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL & Traveler 1.1SL
    Tarp
    HG Hex & Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Grizz, If I was to start laying out plans to make one for myself. At what point on my body length would I need to put the spreader bars ? In your "Old School Version" it's my height plus 7" or so. And what is the cat cut ?
    I don't think I could do it with the sewing stills at this point. But, I would to think about it. More like dream
    And Thanks for posting All your Bridge Hammocks !!
    I have never failed, I have been very Successful finding out what does Not work.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Grizz, If I was to start laying out plans to make one for myself. At what point on my body length would I need to put the spreader bars ? In your "Old School Version" it's my height plus 7" or so. And what is the cat cut ?
    I don't think I could do it with the sewing stills at this point. But, I would to think about it. More like dream
    And Thanks for posting All your Bridge Hammocks !!
    For this one the main body length is equal to the distance between my eyes and my ankles. The suspension curve is 7" deep. The (finished) length of fabric under the spreader bar is 48", so that gives a finished mid-section width of 34".

Nobody asked but I'll answer the question anyway "why didn't you use a shortened spreader at the foot?" The main reason is that I can't shorten the dowel very much more and still have a significant portion of it nestled within the hiking pole tubing. There is an inch or more of air between the hole in the top of the pole handle and where the pole tubing starts. I want that dowel well seated to resist turning away from the straight-on alignment within the pole.

The other reason is that on hammocks I make for myself I've gotten away from a greatly shortened foot because of the way I sleep. When I'm on my side I like to curl my legs a bit, and the narrower hammock down there inhibits that. A shorter foot spreader is still the way to go for a back sleeper though.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I believe this deserves sticky status--Grizz the sticky king. Outstanding as usual I envy your talents\time.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    I believe this deserves sticky status--Grizz the sticky king. Outstanding as usual I envy your talents\time.
    I agree 100%---------you really are "professor hammock!"
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-31-2012 at 15:37.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Bridge hammock spreader bar question

Just a quick question-----when you move the spreader bar fwd, like on Grizz's liteweight bridge hammock, or the Eureka, are you basically making your hammock shorter, and using the end caps for your head and feet? (So the body of the hammock is shorter?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Hammock length will stay the same. What your doing is changing the point that gets spread. The closer the spreader is to the shoulder area the less the squeeze will be on the shoulders.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Just a quick question-----when you move the spreader bar fwd, like on Grizz's liteweight bridge hammock, or the Eureka, are you basically making your hammock shorter, and using the end caps for your head and feet? (So the body of the hammock is shorter?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Hammock length will stay the same. What your doing is changing the point that gets spread. The closer the spreader is to the shoulder area the less the squeeze will be on the shoulders.
    But...
    Your overall length from the apex of your suspension triangle to the opposite apex IS shorter once you move the spreaders in. And yes, Steve, Grizz suspended his extension/end caps from the suspension triangle to accommodate head or feet.
    Last edited by BER; 08-03-2012 at 12:12.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    BER has it right. The hammock is shorter, which helps in particular in fitting under a hex tarp.
    Grizz

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Grizz,
    So would this be a good starting point for a guy at 6' 1"? I'm not sure I want to use the parabolic ends, as I understand them, but I just want to get the general sense of the 2D main body before I clarify the details.
    Griz_Style_Hammock.jpg
    Thanks for the guidance. I hope it's okay to revive this thread; I think there continues to be interest in DIY bridge hammocks.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    Grizz,
    So would this be a good starting point for a guy at 6' 1"? I'm not sure I want to use the parabolic ends, as I understand them, but I just want to get the general sense of the 2D main body before I clarify the details.
    Griz_Style_Hammock.jpg
    Thanks for the guidance. I hope it's okay to revive this thread; I think there continues to be interest in DIY bridge hammocks.
    I'm not clear on what the intentions are for the triangles at the end, but the rest of it looks very close to what I cut.
    I'm 6'1" myself.

I just love it when old threads of mine are resurrected....although how people find them is a mystery!
    Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast