HH Explorer Ultralite Zip
    Tarp
    Silnylon stock fly
    Insulation
    SS#2 w/top cover
    Suspension
    maybe whoopies?

Using a HH Explorer Ultralight Zip with a top cover and a shout out to HH

I saw, then promptly lost the conversation on how to use a top cover with the Explorer Ultralight Zip. has anyone got any ideas? Will I even need this if I use a good sleeping bag?
    I have a SS#2 and top cover showing up in a week and was wondering if I need to do anything special to make it work. James at HH informed me it was designed for a bottom entry and may not be the best solution. My response was something to the effect of;
    "Hypothermia is the mother of invention, I'm confident we can figure something out."
    I'm not sure if this is a stupid question as I don't have it in my hands yet. Am I thinking too much about this?

In other news, this equipment (HH explorer Ultralite, OC, SS#2 and snakeskins) were provided 100% free of charge by HH to my military unit for evaluation purposes. Words cannot adequately express how grateful I am to HH for this equipment and an opportunity to test it. I hope I can convince my coworkers this is the superior solution. Our mission takes us to some unusual places, and the small tents we currently use....well, they suck. If I wanted to sleep on the ground I would have joined the Army. Us AF guys belong up in the air.
    Last edited by Shaven Wookie; 03-18-2012 at 14:55.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaven Wookie View Post
    I saw, then promptly lost the conversation on how to use a top cover with the Explorer Ultralight Zip. has anyone got any ideas? Will I even need this if I use a good sleeping bag?
    I have a SS#2 and top cover showing up in a week and was wondering if I need to do anything special to make it work. James at HH informed me it was designed for a bottom entry and may not be the best solution. My response was something to the effect of;
    "Hypothermia is the mother of invention, I'm confident we can figure something out."
    I'm not sure if this is a stupid question as I don't have it in my hands yet. Am I thinking too much about this?

In other news, this equipment (HH explorer Ultralite, OC, SS#2 and snakeskins) were provided 100% free of charge by HH to my military unit for evaluation purposes. Words cannot adequately express how grateful I am to HH for this equipment and an opportunity to test it. I hope I can convince my coworkers this is the superior solution. Our mission takes us to some unusual places, and the small tents we currently use....well, they suck. If I wanted to sleep on the ground I would have joined the Army. Us AF guys belong up in the air.
    Fantastic! If you are ( like me ) one of the lucky ones which the HHSS works great for, then it should work just fine ( actually better IMO ) with the zip model. There is absolutely no difference for bottom insulation. But the zipper makes it easy to add a jacket below for added insulation and make sure everything is in the right place.

The only difference is the top cover. You are going to have to work out some minor technique on getting in and out without stressing the over cover, but this has been quite easy for me. Or you can just do a couple of simple mods so that you can close the OC with some kind of clip after you get in.

Take your time in figuring out how to attach it correctly, not backwards or upside down. Watch the setup videos at HH site. Don't forget your $2, 2 oz space blanket on top of the OCF pad, an essential part of the system. Good luck and have fun!

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaven Wookie View Post
    My response was something to the effect of;
    Hypothermia may be the mother of invention, but she isn't your mother. Just remember this particular mother is as unforgiving as a momma bear protecting her cubs. Have a decent backup/bailout plan.

Keep Hangin' High and Dry brother

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you for your service. Glad to see HH giving you a chance to try it out!!

• + New Posts