Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images

Underquilt for my XL Brazilian hammock

I made an UQ for my indoor hammock. From the start I decided that I didn't want an UQ that was narrower than my hammock, like camping UQs usually are. I had already tried hanging my Zeppelin under it, and it wasn't a good fit. The XL Brazilian is 72" wide! Instead of something that rides up under you wherever your body is, I wanted something that completely covered the underside of the hammock. First I went out and bought a queen sized comforter, but it was too wide and I would have had to do some sewing and cutting to get it to fit. Considering it was a down-filled comforter, I decided that could be disastrous and decided to use it for my bed instead.

Then I found this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microfiber...Sage/14657379#

Or at least something like it. I could have sworn the one I bought was 68" wide: this one says 66. Anyway, it was nearly as wide as the hammock and I didn't need to cut it or do any sewing. Also it has a 2" strip around all 4 sides which I think makes it just right for my purposes.

I went out and bough a grommet kit and hammered a bunch of grommets along the ends of the quilt, like so:

I laid the hammock out on the floor, and laid the quilt over the top. I spaced the grommets so I would connect them with shock cord to every 3rd loop of my hammock. I wanted a more precise connection between my hammock and UQ than just the corners. This has worked out well, there's no fidgeting required at all, the UQ stays in place completely.

The for each grommet I tied up a loop of shock cord and attached a mitten hook. There are 9 grommets each end:

I found that even this was a bit cold when I first tried it a couple weeks ago. If I were to do it over, I would find a thicker quilt, this one is quite light. The only trouble is, I could not find a thicker one that was the right width. Comforters are usually twin size (too narrow) or double/queen size (too wide). This particular product was a blanket and hence was wider than the standard comforter sizes. As a consequence it is thinner. It stays on great though, does not interfere with the hang at all, and now that it's a bit warmer it works fine.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I like your approach. Maybe you can find something thicker at Ikea?

Here's how I did mine. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7&postcount=31
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts