Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images

Question Using my Travel Hammock ATHH as a Tarp

I have a rather silly predicament, I still haven't invested in a tarp, I'm patiently waiting to see all my choices and for the right deal, definitely leaning towards the Speer Wintertarp though. Here's the deal, I'm hitting the trail this weekend for a couple days in the Gila Wilderness and I really want to bring my Travel Hammock ATHH cause it is amazingly spacious and comfortable and hasn't been TRAIL tested yet, however I don't have a tarp for shelter.

I'm thinking of using the Travel Hammock ATHH as my tarp since it is a multipurpose piece of gear and laying in my homejob Hennessy clone. The dimensions for the ATHH are 10ft.x6ft. not ideal, but it does offer some coverage overhead in case it rains. What do you guys who own, have tested and reviewed the ATHH think? Should I scrounge up a couple yards of 1.9 oz nylon and sew up a simple tarp for this trip OR bring the ATHH as my tarp? I'm essentially packing 2 hammocks, one that has the ability to function as a ground tarp for very minimal shelter, definitely not intended to go over another hammock and the other to sleep in, on, whatever. Hey, if it doesn't rain I'll just cowboy hang under the stars and let my buddy try out the hammock and convert him. He just finished a tyvek ground tarp, it is light and has great coverage and all but he still has to roll around with sticks and rocks and ants and try and muster up some comfort with his 3/4 length Z-Lite pad. I'll pass. To bring the ATHH or not to bring?
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I vote go with the ATTH. Looked at the weather in your neck of the woods & for just a weekend trip everything looks workable with your current setup. Sounds like you have plans A,B,&C so have fun!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Yeah, down here in Southern New Mexico the monsoon season is just beginning and at an altitude of 10,000 feet for camp, brief rain should be expected. I just checked the weather and expected isolated T-storms and showers are at about 30% for the weekend on, monsoonal showers are usually loud and fierce, for about 20 minutes, then it's over. Worst case scenario, I hunker the ATHH down real tight over my hammock, not touching of course, but really snug the snot out of the ATHH to shield me. How do you guys think I'll fair with 3 ft of coverage at my sides? Yeah, I have options, however staying up late and roll hemming a tarp for a weekend trip sounds rather unappealing so I'm starting to lean towards the ATHH for a tarp.
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

Images
    I think you could use the ATHH as a tarp in that situation. If you need to, you can batton down the sides to ride out the storm. Perhaps you could use HC4U's single line suspension( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=single), and try out the "air bivy" function!

If you are going to use it as a tarp, I would check the areas where the loops are sewn into the body of the hammock/tarp. Mine was oversewn in one spot creating a hole. Regardless, I would seal the sewing on those loops, and I would strongly consider sealing the seam where the outside peices of fabric meet the large peice for the hammock body.

Like JeffJen said, it looks like you are properly thinking ahead. Have fun, and let us know how it went!

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Narwhalin, appreciate the input, I think I'll bring the ATHH for my tarp this time around. Strange, my ATHH is made from a single body of fabric, I believe I have the V.1 of the ATHH, didn't know the later models had seperate swaths of fabric. It will be interesting to read the group test review that HC4U is working on for the ATHH. Anyways, yes I will check the tie outs, good advice, especially the ones on the body of the hammock for tarp pitching. The SLS system from HC4U is rather clever and looks to save weight and versatility, however I really enjoy the ring buckle system, it just works so well and the simpler the better for this guy right now.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

ATHH as tarp

Here's a pic.

The ATHH's best feature is using it as a tarp. Not a lot of extra coverage, but it should keep you dry in your hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't know how you got that 6' to cover that much ridgeline. I had to use the 10' as a ridgeline and let the 3' on each side provide coverage. It was minimal but servicable in a light vertical rain This was with the Travel Hammock Skeeter-Beeter.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Wow, FishinFinn, that is a lot of coverage from the ATHH, at least in the picture, I'm 6'1 so I expect to do as Ramblinrev and pitch the ATHH on the 10' ridgeline and use the 3' of coverage at my sides. It seems that using the ATHH with the 6' ridgeline doesn't offer coverage at the head and foot ends.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneius View Post
    Wow, FishinFinn, that is a lot of coverage from the ATHH, at least in the picture, I'm 6'1 so I expect to do as Ramblinrev and pitch the ATHH on the 10' ridgeline and use the 3' of coverage at my sides. It seems that using the ATHH with the 6' ridgeline doesn't offer coverage at the head and foot ends.
    That looks like it is pitched along the long ridgeline.

Eugenious, do you see the seam about 1/3 of the way up on the side? That is the part I was referring to above when I said you should seal where the outside fabric meets the main body fabric. I am refferring to the peices of fabric used to make the hammock bigger.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    yep.... on second look... I can see the bag hanging on the edge. It is hung on the long ridgeline. But hookey smokes... that looks bigger than mine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast