Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The snake skins that you were using at the RRG were the smallest diameter skins I have ever seen. They certainly make a nice, compact tarp when skinned.

I have been thinking about making a 1 piece skin like yours that is attached to the inside of astuff sack, sorta like a BB sack for a tarp. You would open open the stuff sack and would have a skinned tarp stored inside. One of the guy lines would exit out the back of the stuff sack, just like a BB bag. Tie that line to a tree open the bag and pull out the skinned tarp and tie to the opposite tree. You would slide the skin back to deploy the tarp and the unused skin could be stored in the stuff sack. Is that clear as mud?
    I understood that. I like the idea. If you want to leave the tarp skinned but in some long coils (e.g. tucked under the top flap of your pack) you could that and just tuck the enclosing bag with it, or pack it up neatly and hang from its drawstring on something.

we'll expect an explanatory video, of course.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I got #2 skins and they fit perfectly; loose enough to get a wet tarp in easily, not so loose a dry tarp doesn't stay in. I like skskinner's idea of a single tarp, but I don't sew.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Grizz, I did same thing. Got tulle at WalMart a while ago thinking I'd make snakeskins but after making a simple ridgeline pocket holder with it, I thought "Maybe Not!" Stuff is pain to sew. Perkolady told me she uses a zig-zag stitch to help control it, but even she admits it's a pain to sew.

I used bias tape on ridgeline pocket. I think it makes it more durable where sewn.

Maybe I'll wait for Grizz's detailed sewing instructions and photos on how to make "tulle snakeskins for your tarp" before I try it!
    Hi HC--cooked up the skins tonight. The tulle wasn't too bad, I cut a long rectangle, brought the long edges together, and sewed them together inside some bias tape. The tulle was never near the feeder dogs nor the presser foot.

Some dimensions given in this post.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

Alternative tarp packing

Posted this on another tarp thread.... It is a reasonable alternative that may save folks some time and effort..... And if they don't master or like the technique they can purse the SS approach... no cost to try the free alternatives first.

"There really is no need for anything to handle a tarp easily and efficiently....

The technique that I've used for years.

First gather pegs.....roll the "down STLs around three or four fingers , wrat the last 3 feet around the roll and finish with a slip....( later they will unroll with a single turn and never tangle...and for now they will make the remainder of this simple)....Untie one end from tree 1....grasp the ridge tab..... walk over to the other ridge tab.... gasp in same hand.... pull slip knot on tree 2.... let ridge cords dangle.... find ridge seam center with free hand....extend both arms in front....place chin over "new" center.... take original center to the ridge tabs, grasp all.... fold again, and again.... with free hand pull ridge cords off to one side.... Now, from the ridge fold or roll to the open edges, flip the last 10 inches into the roll for a nice clean bundle.... roll the two ridge cords around the folded/rolled bundle.... Stick it in an outer pocket.... DONE.

Note, if wet or rainy follow aboveprocedure... just shake off at each step.... Really easy to do.

This is a 60 to 90 second drill..... never tangles.... And is ready for immediate deployment...Guarenteed as fast as SS to deploy for an afternoon storm or a lunch cover.

Bonus, it does not require snake skins, Bbishop bag or stuff sack, thus it saves 1-3 oz depending on what you use, also save the cost in $ and time to make/buy SS etc....

Try it you may like it....."

YMMV .... If you don't like it, make SS or Bbishop bag.

Pan

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Whaddya think oh blazer of the tulle sewing trail?
    I see by all the following posts that somebody was very busy in the few hours I was away from the board

The first problem: How to measure the darned stuff. I've been using simple (cheap) masking tape. Lay the fabric flat, or as flat as it will go on its own. Lay a long line of tape on the fabric and try not to stretch it in any dimension. Carefully lay another line of tape at right angles to the first and try not to put any tension anywhere. Continue taping to create the shape/size you want. Use a straight edge and pen to mark the tape for cutting.

2nd problem: sewing. After much trial and error, I've settled on leaving the masking tape on the fabric and sewing it in. Yeah - it looks like who'd a thought it, but dog gone it, everything else is worse! Make two passes in the sewing machine. 1st pass, very slowly rip a straight stitch trying to keep the top and bottom fabrics together, ie. don't let the bottom get ahead of the top. 2nd pass, zigzag.

For improved looks, invest a lot of time: Carefully measure and cut so that only 1/8" or so of tape is left on the fabric. Sew the two pieces with a 1/4" hem. Cut off the 1/8" tape. This leaves a very thin hem. Don't know about the durability of that, but with the zigzag it should hold.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Posted this on another tarp thread.... It is a reasonable alternative that may save folks some time and effort..... And if they don't master or like the technique they can purse the SS approach... no cost to try the free alternatives first.

"There really is no need for anything to handle a tarp easily and efficiently....

The technique that I've used for years.

Pan

Observe : if you use the technique you describe, the "natural" way to put the tarp into its manufacturer-supplied stuff sack is to put it in the bag rolled-end first. Granted, the technique you describe eschews the bag, but just suppose.

Now do this with the, oh, 11' x 10' tarp JRB sells. Know what? Tarp doesn't fit into the bag. Depending on the number of times you fold it, the tarp roll is either several inches taller than the bag, or a few inches shorter. Best way I've found to deal with that is to make the last two folds to partition the remaining width in thirds, but while that's easy to do up by the hands, the tarp doesn't much want to follow those suggestions further down towards the ground.

It's a nit, but if I had my way, the height of the stuff sack would be closer to a height you get by folding the ridgeline in half some number of times.

could be enough to drive a guy to make a tarp skin for it

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    The reason I use a skin (single 14 foot skin) on my 14 foot ridge line Mac Cat is that I want it up and ready but I want it out of the way. I want to see the stars and see on both sides of the hammock. A single skin works much better than two skins meeting in the middle. Whenever folding or stowing water proof fabric you cannot get all the air out and then when the skins come close to joining in the center you have a Balloon to deal with. With one long skin, it's easy, just pull it on and the end is always open to allow the air to escape. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    then when the skins come close to joining in the center you have a Balloon to deal with
    I've never had a problem with that; I just roll the tarp (or hammock) on a bias toward the center and pull the skin on as you roll. You don't have to be neat and it's very quick, but the bias is important. I think I learned to do it from a video on Imrisk's site, if my poor memory serves me right. Still, since a silnyl tarp has little bulk, I'd like to try a single long net snakeskin on the tarp just to make things even simpler.

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and from Denmark. I have recently bought the Amok Draumr 3.0 Hammock and Enjoying it very much. But I'm thinking about buying a snake skin for my Amok Tarp but don't know which kind will fit it best. Perhaps the DD sleeve can be used with this tarp???? Please help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12