Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sipsey Easter Weekend

Last weekend Hamhocker and I finally got to go to Sipsey. This was our first trip out since a backpacking trip to Mammoth Cave trip last Nov.

The trails had been cleared of blowdowns so it made for easy hiking except on one trail.

We parked at Randolph trailhead and took trail 202 down to the river and crossed it to 209. The river was about knee high which wasn't bad after the rain they had earlier that week. We hiked a little ways down 209 and found a nice campsite by the river.

The next morning we hiked down 209 to 204 and took that trail to get to Bee Branch Falls and the Big Tree. It took a while to get there but we finally made it. We stopped and had lunch at the Big Tree. Afterwards we took 204A back down to 209. This trail had been overlooked when they cleared the blowdowns. It was a mess. At one point there was 8 or 9 trees down (side by side) that you either had to climb over, under or thru.

Once on 209 we hiked up the trail a little ways and camped. The next day we crossed the river to get back to 201 so we could complete our loop hike.

It was beautiful weather during the day but cold/cool at night. After having some warm days and night temps for the past few weeks the evening temps seemed cold there.

The first night (Friday) we went to bed around 9PM and slept until 9AM saturday morning. Saturday night we made it to 9PM again but got up at 7AM Sunday morning.

It wasn't many miles but after not getting out for a while we didn't care. We just took our time and enjoyed the trip.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Last weekend Hamhocker and I finally got to go to Sipsey. This was our first trip out since a backpacking trip to Mammoth Cave trip last Nov.

The trails had been cleared of blowdowns so it made for easy hiking except on one trail.

We parked at Randolph trailhead and took trail 202 down to the river and crossed it to 209. The river was about knee high which wasn't bad after the rain they had earlier that week. We hiked a little ways down 209 and found a nice campsite by the river.

The next morning we hiked down 209 to 204 and took that trail to get to Bee Branch Falls and the Big Tree. It took a while to get there but we finally made it. We stopped and had lunch at the Big Tree. Afterwards we took 204A back down to 209. This trail had been overlooked when they cleared the blowdowns. It was a mess. At one point there was 8 or 9 trees down (side by side) that you either had to climb over, under or thru.

Once on 209 we hiked up the trail a little ways and camped. The next day we crossed the river to get back to 201 so we could complete our loop hike.

It was beautiful weather during the day but cold/cool at night. After having some warm days and night temps for the past few weeks the evening temps seemed cold there.

The first night (Friday) we went to bed around 9PM and slept until 9AM saturday morning. Saturday night we made it to 9PM again but got up at 7AM Sunday morning.

It wasn't many miles but after not getting out for a while we didn't care. We just took our time and enjoyed the trip.
    Ewker, you went to Sipsey without me! Oh well, couldn't have gone anyway, and sounds like you had a nice get away with just you and Hamhocker! I followed your trip with some difficulty because on my map not all of the trail numbers ( 204/204A) do not show up for some reason. But I knew where the trail going from Sipsey and 209 to Bee Branch Falls is, so I found it that way.

Did you see any nice waterfalls? Bee Branch Falls for one I guess? All of those falls can be from a trickle to overwhelming depending on recent rain fall. Last time I was at Bee Branch with the HF gang, it went from an ankle deep crossing ( at the junction with Sipsey) near sundown to waist deep or maybe chest deep overnight.

Any pics?

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice report Ewker.
    Sipsey is one of the places on my Bucket List to experience. Most likely be asking you questions when we meet-up paddling next week.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Sounds like a relaxing time.........where's the pics

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I really need to get up to the Sipsey one day....thanks for the report!
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ewker, glad that you got to experience the Sipsey. 204A (AKA the unnamed trail) is not an official trail and has not been cleared for years. Since Bee Branch and the big tree became so popular back in the 80's the Forest Service, in an effort to cut down on overuse, has made it more difficult to reach and do not maintain 204A. Up until they closed 224 at the Borden Creek bridge, you could drive to within 1.5 miles of Bee Branch Canyon and park at a trailhead at the beginning of 204.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ewker, you went to Sipsey without me! Oh well, couldn't have gone anyway, and sounds like you had a nice get away with just you and Hamhocker! I followed your trip with some difficulty because on my map not all of the trail numbers ( 204/204A) do not show up for some reason. But I knew where the trail going from Sipsey and 209 to Bee Branch Falls is, so I found it that way.

Did you see any nice waterfalls? Bee Branch Falls for one I guess? All of those falls can be from a trickle to overwhelming depending on recent rain fall. Last time I was at Bee Branch with the HF gang, it went from an ankle deep crossing ( at the junction with Sipsey) near sundown to waist deep or maybe chest deep overnight.

Any pics?
    We got some pics but they are at home and I am at work...lol

The falls were flowing ok. I thought they would have been flowing more since Sipsey got some heavy rain right before we went.

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Nice report Ewker.
    Sipsey is one of the places on my Bucket List to experience. Most likely be asking you questions when we meet-up paddling next week.
    I will try to help you but I pestered a Mod to death about Sipsey

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I believe 224 was closed at Borden when the Sipsey Wilderness designated area was expanded in 1988. I'm not sure that the forest service made the decision based on use. Of course 224 was used as a horse trail and wagon-access route after that.

You're right that 204a (Bee Branch TR on some maps) is unofficial. Even so, it's probably as heavily traveled as any of the others though.

The FS has started enforcing group size limits to 10 or fewer in the last year. I think that will help with some of the over-sized groups that were taking walking tours to the 'big tree'.

I personally think many (perhaps most) of the more scenic areas in the NF are well off-trail.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Ewker, glad that you got to experience the Sipsey. 204A (AKA the unnamed trail) is not an official trail and has not been cleared for years. Since Bee Branch and the big tree became so popular back in the 80's the Forest Service, in an effort to cut down on overuse, has made it more difficult to reach and do not maintain 204A. Up until they closed 224 at the Borden Creek bridge, you could drive to within 1.5 miles of Bee Branch Canyon and park at a trailhead at the beginning of 204.
    southmark, we had a good time but now I know why that trail wore us down...lol.

We passed quite a few people heading up that trail. We warned them about the blowdowns and the yellowjackets that were out got to be careful there esp since Hamhocker has to carry her epipen

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I can vouch for the yellow jackets at the Sipsey. We got into those the last time we were up there too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast