DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

poly fill for UQ

ok....ok....ok i know that down is best and IX is pretty good too, but i need a fast UQ on the cheap and was at my local Joanns the other day and got to wondering about using 2 layers of 1 inch poly fill with 1 layer of fleece. i am looking to get down to maybe the lower 40's with it. i am not to concerned with weight

any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!!
    Hops

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I made an UnderQuilt using HF member SticksBlog's instruction. I only used 1 layer PolyFil and didn't add the Mylar sheet. I was able to get a good sleep, Kept me warm and toasty at 45 night temp. With the materials you have I don't see why it won't work....but that's just my $.02
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks strawhat I already have the fleece and ripstop I just need to get the poly fill. Good to know that I should be able to reach the mid to low 40's with an UQ made of these materials
    Hops

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

I'm curious too

I saw that I could get a quilt poly fill for about $2.50 a yard at 60 inches. Cheap stuff, and it's easy to find locally. I'm curious about using it too. How much heavier would be than something like Primaloft? I think I've read than an issue with synthetic fills is they lose their loft with use, and the batting can shift out of place.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    I saw that I could get a quilt poly fill for about $2.50 a yard at 60 inches. Cheap stuff, and it's easy to find locally. I'm curious about using it too. How much heavier would be than something like Primaloft? I think I've read than an issue with synthetic fills is they lose their loft with use, and the batting can shift out of place.
    i know that i plan on sewing all layers together with webbing along the outside for channels. this should stop the layers from shifting, as far as losing loft with use i only get out about 2 -3 times per year so i am not to worried about it.
    Hops

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think the only concern with the degradation in loft is when having it compressed for too long on storage or carrying on trips. UQ's is just attached underneath the hammock. Unlike sleeping bags, your body weight does not crushes the filling when in use. I read also that synthetic fill is quick drying and still insulates even if it gets wet.
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    The choice might really depend if you're hoping to backpack, or going car camping... I have a -10c sleeping bag with basic poly fill, and it's ridiculously bulky and not useful for backpacking. But if you only want something to keep you warm to 40 to 50f, it might work with basic poly fill? I wonder if the USGI poncho liner only uses basic polyester batting?

Primaloft and climashield have greater warmth & loft per weight. Even specially designed hollow fibers and more. Compare the stats on these sleeping bags:

Marmot Atom; 850 down fill, is rated to 40f/5c, weighs 1lb.
    Marmot Pounder; Primaloft SB fill, rated to 40f/5c, weighs 1lb.
    North Face Allegheny, H.O.T. synthtic fill,rated to 40f, weighs 2lbs 6oz.
    Light Year XP 40°, Ecopet Soft Synthetic, weighs 2lb 3oz.

It suggests that with down or performance synthetic fill, you might save a pound (454g) or more of pack weight. That's a pound of weight for other useful stuff, or less suffering under the pack.

Primaloft is highly compressible, and in comparison, the basic poly fill retains it's bulk and won't pack down as well as the newer higher tech stuff.
    It also might not loft back up very well?

as far as losing loft with use i only get out about 2 -3 times per year so i am not to worried about it.
    What if it loses half it's loft /warmth in a year or two? Imagine that when you first make the quilt the loft is exactly a 3/4 inch. But after packing it for a trip and unpacking it, a couple times, it loses half it's loft (warmth). Then it doesn't keep you as warm as you planned on and need to get another quilt anyway.

synthetic fill is quick drying and still insulates even if it gets wet.
    This is a major plus for synthetic, and why I chose a synthetic overbag to go with my -12c down sleeping bag.

I'd like to save a pound of pack weight for an underquilt. I wish I could buy the climashield or primaloft at local stores. I'm reluctant to pay double the price of the insulation, for shipping fees.

Here's a good info page comparing the types of high performance synthetic insulations.
    Last edited by dimeotane; 03-24-2012 at 22:21.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

DIY poly underquilt

I found prequilted material for $6.99 a yard that is nylon quilted to poly batting. I couldn't resist giving it a shot. I bought bias tape for edging, 3 mm shock cord, cord locks, and some black nylon for the backing. Final weight came in around a pound and cost under $20 to make.

I went 60" length for heels to shoulders coverage, and 45 inches width.

With a good base layer and light summer sleeping bag I think it feels warm enough down to about 50f/10c. By the upper 40's I need to supplement with pads.

I'll have to get some pics to show the results.

It was a great project to familiarize myself with underquilt design. And for the negligible cost it gives great results.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    dimeotane

can't wait to see the results. i will be making mine within the next couple of weeks. details to come.
    Hops

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    DIY UQ done!! (pics to follow) does anyone have a suggestions as to what diameter shock cord i should use? 1/8...1/16?
    Hops

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast